INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

tr220, shift kit, stall, tranny mods, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 08:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
COmp 918s and their pushrods are good. You will have ot pull the tranny to put the stall in there so do the shift kit while its out of the truck. A 3000 stall will be fine. I had one in my heavy *** truck(5600#s) and it wasnt bad at all. A 3000 with the TR220 will **** and get for sure. Shift kit while off the truck will take about 4 hours to do it all right and check everything. LOTS of little bb's a nd springs and **** take your time. The cam will take about 8 hours since you ahvent done one before and pulling the tranny and installing it will take about 8-9 hours. So you are talking pulling the tranny out friday night and putting it all back together sunday evening to do all those mods IMO. But you will be in the low low 14s with those mods.
thanks for the help, that backs up the research I did. As far as the tranny goes. Ill probably end up trying to find someone local that has done a stall converter and see if I can't get them to help me do it for a couple hundred bucks or so.
So heres my part list so far, let me know if im missing anything.
tr220 cam(112 or 114 is still undecided)
probably a 2800 or 3000 stall not sure which brand yet though
comp 918 springs
comp pushrods
titanium retainers?
longer crank bolt
scoggin dickey gasket kit
and a few other things I can't think of off the top of my head. Ill also need a spring compressor too, but IM unsure of which one to buy.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:53 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomHero
thanks for the help, that backs up the research I did. As far as the tranny goes. Ill probably end up trying to find someone local that has done a stall converter and see if I can't get them to help me do it for a couple hundred bucks or so.
So heres my part list so far, let me know if im missing anything.
tr220 cam(112 or 114 is still undecided)
probably a 2800 or 3000 stall not sure which brand yet though
comp 918 springs
comp pushrods
titanium retainers?
longer crank bolt
scoggin dickey gasket kit
and a few other things I can't think of off the top of my head. Ill also need a spring compressor too, but IM unsure of which one to buy.

I don't think you need the titanium retainers. My cam is a 112, and I wish it was 114. It has too many tuning issues, hopefully it will get better with HPtuners. 2800 stall should work, but why not go 3000? I've never replaced gaskets, and I've done quite a few cam swaps, GM designed the gaskets with a rubber o-ring style, so the technicians could re-use them. DO NOT get the l-shaped spring compressor, unless you like breaking bolts off in the head. I used a screw type, but Thunder (I think) makes one that looks like a rocker with a u cut out of it, but its expensive. I've never used the longer crank bolt, but I would recomend my method. Cam sounds like a good choice. I'd also get a shift kit for the tranny, and a BIG cooler. You also need some coolant.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:24 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the 112lsa cam if you have a place where you can get it dyno tuned locally. Like White said you will need coolant also new oil and oil filter ANY time you open up the engine its a good idea to change the oil. Get a big transmission cooler cause the stall will cause alot more heat buildup in the trans. Get a Fuddle converter everyone that has had one is having good luck with them. I am going to trust my trans to a Fuddle converter with a 550hp motor with a 250 shot on it and I think the converter will be fine whether the trans lasts or not who knows.