INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Turbo vs. Non Boost upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 08:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo vs. Non Boost upgrades

I just got a 1999 silverado, 5.3L, with 135,000 miles on it. I want to get a little more power out of her, and was looking into STS turbos. I've seen, though, that the added boost may be an issue with other components.

Another option, i've seen, is the SLP performance pack, which is said to bring the power up to about 350hp. It includes shorty headers, SLP exhaust, new rockers, a power programmer, and an air intake kit. I can only assume the engine will be a lot safer with setup. Plus, it's at least $1000 cheaper than a turbo setup (more if you include the cost of installation... I'm sure i can handle the performancepac installation myself.)

Has anybody had any experience with the SLP performancepac? Will I be safer going this route?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

IMO...the SLP packages are overpriced for the gains. You could get LT headers ($380), mild to moderate cam ($400), stall ($500), exhaust ($550) and a custom tune ($400) and be WAY ahead of what the SLP would give you.

Don't get me wrong SLP makes good stuff...but they really like it and charge you for it.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:45 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can run moderate boost levels (5-6 psi) with no problems on the stock motor. The only you'd have to worry about would be the tranny, and as long as you left torque management enabled in the tune a shift kit and servo would probably be enough to keep the trans together for a long time. Out of the two that you have listed above I would definitely go with the STS kit.

In the SLP kit above, the shorty headers are essentially a wast of money. Other than that, all you're getting is intake, exhaust, and a boxed tune (not sure if the rockers help at all with a stock cam?). Definitely better ways to spend your $$.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

The 135K that is already on the tranny is the only reason I didn't recommend the STS. Do you think a shift kit & servo would hold it together with that many miles even assuming its been properly maintained? I don't know. He should probably do the shift kit & servo no matter what route he goes as well as replacing the plastic accumulator pistons.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:12 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

N/A is nice but there's nothing like being blown...or boosted by turbo. Yes, it is more expensive and less "safe" but the rush when you go into boost makes it all worth it, at least for me.
If you go the NA way then the above I agree with. Forget the kit.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Launching!

As much as I'd love the boost, I'm really leaning towards N/A... The STS kit is just out of my price range... Plus, the truck runs great, so I really don't want to give it a reason to stop breaking down. I'm sure some moderate NA add ons will still allow me to keep reliability, right?

As far as the SLP kit goes, I was going to ask you guys your opinions on just trying to loosely match what comes with it, and make my own custom set up...

I think the first mod will be a cat-back. I've heard great things about Corsa, and I think I'd like their kit (minus the lack of a throaty idle rumble...) I've also considered magnaflow and looked at gibson. I had a borla exhaust on my 94 Explorer, and it made my v6 sound pissah. I've heard Flowmaster is horrible, and I'd really like a stainless steel setup, anyways.

What are your opinions on exhausts? I want something throaty, without waking the neighbors when I come home from work at midnight... At the same time, i'd like some performance gains...