INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Valve cover clearence issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve cover clearence issues

Well, if it's not one thing it's another! Drivers side valve cover the poly locks are hitting the baffle. Is there anything I can do to clear them besides valve cover extensions? Can the baffle be notched out or taken out with a die grinder? I looked online for aftermarket valve covers and found a few but none of them have stuff for PCV. I know that these engines need good venting or otherwise have oil consumption issues. Any help would be great. This is all that is needed to fire it up.

Last edited by zittman; 09-28-2010 at 07:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-28-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I had to notch mine for my l92 heads.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I removed the PCV baffle and milled out the rest including the casting dimples on both covers and then they fit just fine. I'm using comp. pro magnum rockers and this had to be done for clearance. A die grinder should work just fine.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya I had to do the same thing with the pro magnums... But the best IMO, would be an aftermarket set with breathers on each side.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Doobie
I removed the PCV baffle and milled out the rest including the casting dimples on both covers and then they fit just fine. I'm using comp. pro magnum rockers and this had to be done for clearance. A die grinder should work just fine.
So do you still run the PCV then in the original spot?
Old 09-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by built408
Ya I had to do the same thing with the pro magnums... But the best IMO, would be an aftermarket set with breathers on each side.
Would you put the PCV back in it also or not run one at all? I think you would want to pull out as much crankshaft engine pressure as you can.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doobie
Had I more time to finish my "complete cam swap", I was really thinkin of modding my v/c's to fit some Comp 1.75s. Only reason I knew of the req'd work was cause of Mike.

He's running an LS6 valley cover, it does the PCV different. Hopefully Mike will post up the details. IIRC, it's ~$120 to do & relocates the PCV's entirely off of the v/c. It not only cleans it up, but if there's a potential oil consumption problem, bye-bye it goes. That's a win in my book.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I run no PCV system.The filler cap is an air filter and the pcv hole is plugged.You do get a smell though without the pcv.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by sharpshooter
I run no PCV system.The filler cap is an air filter and the pcv hole is plugged.You do get a smell though without the pcv.
No problems with this set-up? what smell you talking about?
Old 09-29-2010, 02:43 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I had to pretty much gut the valve covers on my combo with the Crane Gold Race rockers 1.8 ratio I think. Cut the baffles out and ground everything down with a die grinder. I don't run a pcv set up. Just ran a line from each cover to a breather tank and seems to have worked fine though it does build some crankcase pressure with the boost.

Quick Reply: Valve cover clearence issues