INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

WCCH 5.3 heads installed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up WCCH 5.3 heads installed! Now with dyno results!

I finally got around this weekend to installing the WCCH Stage I heads that have been collecting dust in my basement since January. It turned into the head swap from hell. Here was the planned parts list:

WCCH Stage I 5.3 heads – 58.8 cc chamber, 1.94 int/1.57ex. valves, 5 angle valve job, chamber and bowl CNC porting
Cometic .045 head gaskets
ARP head bolts
7.350” pushrods

This combo would have given me a 10:1 SCR

We started Saturday morning and by Sunday at 10AM the truck was ready to run again. It fired right up and ran great for 5 minutes until we saw coolant seeping out of the passenger side at the bottom of the head. It turns out that this is a pretty common problem with Cometics, and that most use copper gasket spray to fix it. But we didn’t have time to let the gasket dry enough to use the spray, so we used stock GM gaskets (.054 thick) instead. My SCR is now 9.85:1.

By the time we got the truck torn apart for a second time, all back together for the second time, warmed up, with no leaks, cooled back down, torn apart for a third time, retorqued the heads, and test driven it was 12:30 AM Monday.

The truck will go back to the dyno on the 20th to see what was gained, but the butt meter is impressed. It feels much stronger through the entire powerband. I was hoping for 20-25 hp and torque, but I would not be surprised if it is more. Throttle response is improved, the truck idles smoother and has lost some lope, power delivery just seems smoother and more linear.

I am more than impressed with the way the truck feels, and very satisfied with Richard from WCCH and his product. He took the time to answer all my questions and help me with my setup and provided me with a quality product.Now with dyno results - See post # 17

Last edited by tdrumm; 05-20-2006 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:01 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tdrumm
I finally got around this weekend to installing the WCCH Stage I heads that have been collecting dust in my basement since January. It turned into the head swap from hell. Here was the planned parts list:

WCCH Stage I 5.3 heads – 58.8 cc chamber, 1.94 int/1.57ex. valves, 5 angle valve job, chamber and bowl CNC porting
Cometic .045 head gaskets
ARP head bolts
7.350” pushrods

This combo would have given me a 10:1 DCR

We started Saturday morning and by Sunday at 10AM the truck was ready to run again. It fired right up and ran great for 5 minutes until we saw coolant seeping out of the passenger side at the bottom of the head. It turns out that this is a pretty common problem with Cometics, and that most use copper gasket spray to fix it. But we didn’t have time to let the gasket dry enough to use the spray, so we used stock GM gaskets (.054 thick) instead. My DCR is now 9.85:1.

By the time we got the truck torn apart for a second time, all back together for the second time, warmed up, with no leaks, cooled back down, torn apart for a third time, retorqued the heads, and test driven it was 12:30 AM Monday.

The truck will go back to the dyno on the 20th to see what was gained, but the butt meter is impressed. It feels much stronger through the entire powerband. I was hoping for 20-25 hp and torque, but I would not be surprised if it is more. Throttle response is improved, the truck idles smoother and has lost some lope, power delivery just seems smoother and more linear.

I am more than impressed with the way the truck feels, and very satisfied with Richard from WCCH and his product. He took the time to answer all my questions and help me with my setup and provided me with a quality product.
pedal response is often not discussed/underrated but is VERY important and a satisfying feeling on the street, Congrats brother!
Old 05-09-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

I'm guessing you meant SCR instead of DCR, because that would be a very high DCR ratio if that's what you meant.

Can't wait to hear the dyno numbers.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Zick
I'm guessing you meant SCR instead of DCR, because that would be a very high DCR ratio if that's what you meant.

Can't wait to hear the dyno numbers.
Opps, you are correct. See what happens when I rush. Fixed it now.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:17 PM
11 Second Truck Club

cool deal drumm. glad you got it all situated and up and running. good job!
Old 05-09-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds good man, look forward to the #s improvements!
Old 05-09-2006, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

cool deal tom. can't wait for the dyno results .
Old 05-10-2006, 12:28 AM
FormerVendor

Congrats Tom. An exhausting weekend, but it looks like you've got it licked. Glad to see the SOTP meter is approving.

Richard
Old 05-10-2006, 06:26 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys, the truck is an absolute blast to drive. Now it needs a converter and (maybe) a bigger cam.

To all the naysayers, it IS worth building 5.3s.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:45 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by tdrumm
Thanks guys, the truck is an absolute blast to drive. Now it needs a converter and (maybe) a bigger cam.

To all the naysayers, it IS worth building 5.3s.
i totally agree

Quick Reply: WCCH 5.3 heads installed!