INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

WCCH 5.3 heads installed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Would Like To See More 5.3 Builds. Imo, There Is Plenty Left In These Motors To Make Respectable Power. I Would Be More Impressed With A Fast 5.3 Than A Mild 6.0 Running The Same Times......
Old 05-10-2006, 09:50 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait until Dyno Day to see what kind of numbers you put down now! I boxed up my 317 heads last night and plan to ship them to Richard at WCCH asap I wanted to try and get em shipped during my travels today (make it my lunch hour), but I had a record day with road calls and never made it home to pick them up and ship them out (Murphy's law...when I have stuff I want to do the road calls don't stop...when I'm looking for something to do the phone never rings). Maybe tomorrow will be slower and I'll get the opportunity...if not I'll definitely get em shipped by the weekend.

You definitely have a stout 5.3...nice daily driver too. I'm curious how much more could be had with some tweaks to the tuning to optimize the newly found head flow
Old 05-11-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! Like others, I'm looking forward to see what you dyno. Will you be tuning and/or dyno'ing it at the same place as before the head swap?

Old 05-12-2006, 06:09 AM
TECH Addict

I'll be on the same dyno as before, but there will be no tuning changes made. This will be a test of the heads only. I only have a mail order tune which is good, but not perfect, so I didn't want to potentially skew the results by getting a better tune. It's a dyno day so I get four pulls. I'll be doing two with the new heads, and then they are allowing me a little time to swap on a home ported TB to see if that is really worth any power.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck man
Old 05-13-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

Default 5.3 builds

Originally Posted by LS1TRUCKGUY
I Would Like To See More 5.3 Builds. Imo, There Is Plenty Left In These Motors To Make Respectable Power. I Would Be More Impressed With A Fast 5.3 Than A Mild 6.0 Running The Same Times......
I'm lurking for info on this subject- I was contemplating a 6.0 LQ4/LQ9 initially with a T56 in the 1988 MKIII Supra, but found that the T56 is too big for the tranny tunnel, so I'm stuck with the Toyo tranny for now. The 5.3 motors are very plentiful and seem to cost 1/2 to 1/3 as much as the 6.0 ones, and even in base trim put out a lot more power than the turbo Supra motor (7M).

Thanks for threads like these, I'm looking to gain as much info on cost & power effective bolt ons as possible before I mod my future motor.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Well, I had the truck dynoed this morning, and I'm very confused by the results. First they only sampled data above 4K rpm because they could not lock the converter with the laptop like before so they had to wait until it locked on it's own. The truck also downshifted on the first run so that one was screwed up.

The new numbers were 316 hp and 350 lb ft of torque. Those are peak gains of 6 hp and 28 lb-ft of torque. The hp curve looks like it flat lines from about 5K up as opposed to last time when it peaked just below 6K. I wish I had more data from 2K up like the last dyno to see what was gained throughout the rpm band. I will scan and post the dyno graph on Tuesday when I go back to work.

I'm very satisfied with the torque gains, right in the range of what I was hoping for, but the hp is down about 15-20 from my goal. I doubt that I've reached the limit of the truck intake and the A/F was good so I doubt the injectors are the problem. Don't know what to think right now . I'm still very happy with the improved drivability.

Last edited by tdrumm; 05-20-2006 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

replied to your PM Tom.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:09 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tdrumm
Well, I had the truck dynoed this morning, and I'm very confused by the results. First they only sampled data above 4K rpm because they could not lock the converter with the laptop like before so they had to wait until it locked on it's own. The truck also downshifted on the first run so that one was screwed up.

The new numbers were 316 hp and 349 lb ft of torque. Those are peak gains of 6 hp and 27 lb-ft of torque. The hp curve looks like it flat lines from about 5K up as opposed to last time when it peaked just below 6K. I wish I had more data from 2K up like the last dyno to see what was gained throughout the rpm band. I will scan and post the dyno graph on Tuesday when I go back to work.

I'm very satisfied with the torque gains, right in the range of what I was hoping for, but the hp is down about 15-20 from my goal. I doubt that I've reached the limit of the truck intake and the A/F was good so I doubt the injectors are the problem. Don't know what to think right now . I'm still very happy with the improved drivability.
if your running the stock truck manifold that might be some of what you are seeing. Your untuned gains are fantastic and give you power where you need most it would seem, which is evident in your gain of peddle response. congrats
Old 05-21-2006, 06:58 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Throttle response is improved, the truck idles smoother and has lost some lope, power delivery just seems smoother and more linear.
Now it needs a converter and (maybe) a bigger cam.
What cam and converter, if any, are you running? I didn't see any mention of one in your sig, however, you said that it lost some lope...

Thanks for the write up on the heads...great info, and congrats

Quick Reply: WCCH 5.3 heads installed!