INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

WCCH 5.3 heads installed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 07:03 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aharrold
What cam and converter, if any, are you running? I didn't see any mention of one in your sig, however, you said that it lost some lope...

Thanks for the write up on the heads...great info, and congrats

My bad...

looking back, I see the Vinci High Performance 062 cam listed.

Did you thread the results of that install here somewhere as well?

Thanks again...
Old 05-21-2006, 11:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom, don't be too glum. Almost 30rwft/lbs of torque? Was that at the torque peak? I'm looking forward to seeing your graph. I would like to see what swapping to a car intake would net you.
A higher stall converter won't make any more rwhp, but it will make the truck more responsive at all cruising speeds with your cam choice. It really helped my truck and at the time I only had a 214º cam in it. I see the Vinci cam is a little bit bigger at 216º. Also a 4.10 rear gear helped my truck. It didn't help the mileage though..........
Congrats on your head swap. I looks like with a little tweaking you can only improve.

Richard
Old 05-21-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Tom,... what are the specs on the V-062 profile?

On the intake subject... Just my thoughts.
The limitations of the TRUCK intake manifold are going to be up to the user. See, the intake is limiting RPM not power. You can throw a 230/230-112 cam at your truck and its going to maintain the same peak RPM (5900) but, HP will increase and the powerband will dramatically narrow because of this WALL so to speak, blocking RPM to also increase... If that makes any sense. So, the limitation is RPM... and in your case, you are limited to RPM.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

that 062 is a 210/218 551 112
Old 05-21-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Richard,

I'm not glum as the torque is awesome! I know that the hp has to be there, I just don't know why it isn't shown. I know how the truck felt before and after the swap, and that is what brings a smile to my face. The torque peak was 4400 rpm, just about where they started sampling data. For what ever reason, they could not get the converter to lock in 3rd via the laptop so they could not take data from 2K up like when I was cam only. I was really dissapointed becasue I wanted to post up the gains that can be felt from off idle all the way up. I know that a higher stall converter won't net me any hp gains, but I figure a 2800 or so will get me into and keep me in the powerband a lot quicker. 4.10s are also in the future mod list.

Kyle,

Here is the specs from my cam card - VHP 062

Duration at .004 - 272/280
Duration at .050 - 210/218
Max valve lift - .551/.551
LSA - 112

IVO - (5.0) TDC
IVC - 35.0 ABDC
EVO - 43.0 BBDC
EVC - (5.0) ATDC

I'm pretty satisfied with this cam for torque reasons, but I am always tossing the idea of a new cam around. What you are saying regarding the intake is that the truck intake isn't limiting me unless I pull beyond 6000 rpm. So long as I keep this small cam and enjoy a 2500-6000 powerband, the truck intake will suit my needs just fine. But why would my horsepower curve be flat from 5200 to 5900?
Old 05-21-2006, 11:33 PM
FormerVendor

Tom, nice to see the torque is such a felt difference after the heads install. I too wish you could have locked the converter at 2000rpms. Have you considered getting HP Tuner or EFI Live? Either one would fit perfectly with what your doing. Scanning/logging and bi/di controls. It's completely worth it.
As for what Kyle is trying to say, I think I understand what he's getting at. The truck intake manifolds have been weighing heavy on my mind for some time now and I think Kyle has touched on the root of the problem. The question I pondered is how can a 6.0l engine make 350+rwhp while a well built 5.3l hits a power limit at 320rwhp? Both setups seem to flatten out at 5000rpm. The larger engine makes more power by virtue of larger displacement. The cause for BOTH engines flattening out at similar rpms can occur when reversion resonates in the upper plenum on the stock truck intake. The sound waves resonate through all common plenum intakes and it may be that the truck intake is vulnerable to resonance pollution at these particular rpms. Does this make any sense? Looks like this theory would need to be proved out on an engine dyno. Either way, I say change the intake manifold to a LS6. No other mods and then retune and dyno. Something tells me you'll find the rwhp you were looking for.
Thank you for posting your results and your comments thus far. I for one find it very valuable.

Richard
Old 05-22-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

I wonder how the runner length and cross sectional area of the truck intake compares to the LS1/6 intakes. That will change the torque peak. I wonder if it is also killing the top end of the truck intakes. Also, does the split plenum have anything to do with it?

tdrumm: Must be nice to have all that extra torque. I bet the midrage is a blast in that truck.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah the torque is very nice, gets me moving pretty quick

From what I have seen, the LS6 manifold runner length is 1 mm shorter than the truck intake. Not sure about the cross section though. The big difference is plenum volume. The car intake has about 1L more then the truck intake.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:35 PM
FormerVendor

Good point Tom. Another issue with the truck intake is the dual plenum design. The doorway between the two halves is a further restriction as it forces air around some pretty sharp turns.

Now all we need is a painless intake swap setup...........

Richard
Old 05-22-2006, 11:24 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the truck felt great when you picked me up Sat...it really has some cajones....nice and smooth too.

Quick Reply: WCCH 5.3 heads installed!