INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

weld and regrind crank?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

While it is perfectly acceptable to weld and offset grind a crank to gain a little extra stroke, it is/was mainly done because there was not an inexpensive alternative for a good deal of the motors that people choose to build. Anything relatively modern and Chevrolet in particular have plenty of options for cranks as to where I believe the amount of effort and risk is not worth it, especially when you can most likely get a stronger crank for less money than you would spend reworking a stock piece. Also, it was usually common for folks to work towards a ¼” stroke or so, and not quite a large jump all the way to a 4” stroke. I’m going to side with all the other guy’s and say, why not just buy one of the readily available cranks out there?
Old 06-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by Callies Performance
I doubt that it can be done. Plus you would have a lot of time and labor in doing so. If you are trying to re-work a cast crank....I would not waist the time, not where there are Forged cranks you can replace it with. We have a budget 5140 forged crank starting as low as 544.00! I am not trying to push product, but you would be wasting a lot of time and money.
To go from 3.622 to 4 is alot of welding. It could be done but in the end its alot of work to build it up that much and re grind it. Also its still a cast crank in the end. By welding it that much you may also comprmise it structral integrety... something to consider...

Best of luck with your projects!
Old 06-04-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by 06tx4.8
... here ya go, check this out. ...
Well here I go, eating my words again. I didn't think it was even possible to weld a cast steel crank. I know it's not like welding cast iron, it just seems like the area near the weld would be crack prone.
I have to agree with 1FastBrick. My analogy of the day is that it is kind of like re-using guitar strings.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:19 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Bear
While it is perfectly acceptable to weld and offset grind a crank to gain a little extra stroke, it is/was mainly done because there was not an inexpensive alternative for a good deal of the motors that people choose to build. Anything relatively modern and Chevrolet in particular have plenty of options for cranks as to where I believe the amount of effort and risk is not worth it, especially when you can most likely get a stronger crank for less money than you would spend reworking a stock piece. Also, it was usually common for folks to work towards a ¼” stroke or so, and not quite a large jump all the way to a 4” stroke. I’m going to side with all the other guy’s and say, why not just buy one of the readily available cranks out there?
Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
To go from 3.622 to 4 is alot of welding. It could be done but in the end its alot of work to build it up that much and re grind it. Also its still a cast crank in the end. By welding it that much you may also comprmise it structral integrety... something to consider...

Best of luck with your projects!
+1 and +1, I'm with these guys