INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Who grinds TrickFlow's cams?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 04:06 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who grinds TrickFlow's cams?

Do they outsource them to somebody like Comp or do they grind their own?
Old 01-02-2010, 04:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It used to be Crane primarily for TFS and Summit cams, but with Crane going out of business, they'd just about have to be using someone else by now, or in the very near future.

There's really not all that many companies that grind aftermarket camshafts. All these vendors that offer cams, just re-box and/or re-sell camshafts after they are ground by Comp, Bullet, or whomever...

And DO NOT let the fact that your camshaft doesn't have a Comp or Crane sticker on the box worry you....Amongst other driveway mods, I put a $60, YES $60 Summit (aka Crane) flat tappet cam AND lifter combo in my old 85 Vette and made excellent power with it.
I caveman tuned it to 287rwhp@5200 - 374rwtq@3300 with over 300lb/ft of rwtq from 2300-4900 rpm's. Made for a killer daily driver combo...
Here's the old thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...etter-day.html

I know the last part has absolutely nothing at all to do with your question, but I couldn't resist a trip down memory lane, lol.

Last edited by rel3rd; 01-02-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:45 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Well Crane was bought by S&S Cycle a few months back, and should be back up and running shortly if they aren't already...I wonder if they'll get their old contracts back.

I don't worry about the sticker on the box myself...I understand that there are "brown box" companies out there that can get the job done

Thanks for the reply
Old 01-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

S&S bought Crane?
Old 01-02-2010, 09:51 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
S&S bought Crane?
Yep, I think it was last spring IIRC...I had started an ongoing thread in this section that was keeping up to date with what was going on with Crane...I'll see if I can find it...

*EDIT* Here's something I posted up May 1st of last year...not sure if they've re-opened yet, may have to do some googling to get current

Crane Cams could reopen under new management

A business team led by Wisconsin-based S&S Cycles and former Crane Cams CEO Lance Harris scooped up the majority of Crane Cams’ intellectual property at the company’s liquidation auction last week. The team spent $1.2 million to acquire 16 trademarks, three patents and the company name. According to reports from the Daytona Beach News-Journal, the goal is to get Crane Cams back up and running, though presumably at a new location.

"The goal is to get the whole thing up and running again under the name Crane Cams. We paid that much for the intellectual property because the name is good and consumers know the name," said Anders Stubkjaer, S&S Cycles chief operating and financial officer.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:05 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Found this on Google, not sure when it's dated though

http://cranecams.com/?show=crane-ss

Performance industry icon Crane Cams has reopened under the new ownership of S&S Cycle, and is actively engaged in manufacturing and sales operations of its ignition and motorcycle lines. The company, founded by Harvey J. Crane in 1953, is newly housed in a facility at 1640 Mason Ave. in Daytona Beach, and a number of long-term Crane employees have joined the revitalized company.

S&S Cycle acquired Crane's intellectual properties, patents, trademarks, camshaft masters, inventory and some equipment in April 2009. S&S is best known for its broad line of components for V-Twin motorcycle applications. The 50-year-old company boasts extensive R&D and manufacturing capabilities, including a complete in-house 50-state Emissions Certification Lab.

Crane Product Manager Terry Johnson, a 12-year vet, said, "We have already ramped up production of the motorcycle valve train and ignition products, as well as the automotive ignition line. Many of the top NASCAR teams use Crane ignition products, so maintaining continuity for these customers is top priority."

Production of automotive valve train components may take longer. Chase Knight, who has over 40 years of Crane experience, has resumed his role as Valve Train Product Manager. According to Knight, "While we know the market is very hungry for our cam and valve train product lines, we want to make sure the parts we ship exceed the quality and performance expectations of our customers. At this point we can't put firm timeline as to when everything will be fully up to speed. We want to be sure to get this right!"

Many of the experienced techs who have helped racers over the years are back on the phones and can be reached toll-free at 1 866-388-5120.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Interesting. Wonder if Crane will have a new line of Harley cams? haha
Old 01-03-2010, 11:05 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Interesting. Wonder if Crane will have a new line of Harley cams? haha
Ha ha, could be....hey I had no idea that they did ignition systems for Nascar, that was news to me.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Never heard or read any of that info after hearing they went bankrupt.

Good to hear they're still going to be around.

Comp and Crane both already offered Harley cams FWIW. I'd think now that Crane is S&S owned, it'll only help to expand the motorcycle choices without stepping on their own toes...
Old 01-03-2010, 11:12 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by rel3rd
Never heard or read any of that info after hearing they went bankrupt.

Good to hear they're still going to be around.
Yea definitely...I remember reading about a job fair that they held solely for their former employees, seems a lot of the people who lost their jobs when Crane's doors closed, were able to get them back. That was great news to hear

Quick Reply: Who grinds TrickFlow's cams?