INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Why are some people so anal about sharing cam specs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 07:26 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why are some people so **** about sharing cam specs?

When someone has a setup like someone else and theirs is workign great why not share what is working for you. Its not like you are running in a damn pro stock class where sharing cam specs could cost you money. Someone isnt going to steal your cam specs off an internet forum and make a million bucks off of it. I have just seen it time and again especially on tech, someone will not be willing to share their specs even though it would really help someone make a decision for the "brains" of their motor. I fail to see what the big deal is. A cam grinder is NOT going to go out of business if you tell people what you got, hell I bought a custom cam from Jones Cam Design and I can guarantee you he is still in business. It just annoys the hell out of me since we are all here to share experiences and works well and hopefully save some people money by steering them in the right direction and keeping them from wasting money on cam B when cam A would have been a better choice, only problem is cam A is super top secret and the cam grinder will go out of business if the grind is shared. Lets not even get into the fact that the true custom cam grinders have their OWN DAMN LOBES so even if you did have the specs @ .050 the cam would still be different not to mention the valve events could vary so widely its not even funny. Why all the secrecy with cam specs. This is NOT directed to anyone personally on this site Im just tired of searching on tech and finding all the "classified" cam specs. So I ask, what is the point in keeping your specs secret? Mines a custom grind and I even posted the cam card for it, is Jones going to go out business now?
Old 11-24-2006, 07:33 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for me the builder said he wonted spec'd me a cam if i opend my mouth and being the person i am i agreed on it. i followed his wishes
Old 11-24-2006, 07:35 PM

Well IMO those cam grinders are retarded and I would venture to say most of those typeo fo cam grinders dont even hav etheir own lobes but rather using one of the big companies lobes or hell even getting a company like Comp to grind the cams then slapping their name on it. Does he have his own lobes?
Old 11-24-2006, 07:39 PM
5 year bitches!

for me its cause no body has done a L92 setup yet except one and he made 415rwhp cause of an off self cam. i rather not give any info out, all in respect
Old 11-24-2006, 08:09 PM

Not ******* you at all, its your personal decision to get someone to grind you a cam that from the get-go you couldnt share the specs. I realize on your setup its a bit different but still kinda of shitty on his part. Thats where the whole story of "The guy makes his living off what he knows about cams and grinding them", I realize that BUT there is a hell of alot more to cams then just .050 specs. The .050 specs would be enough to really help steer people in the right direction, and once again its not like you/he is going to be hurt by those specs being shared. You arent racing professionally, guys who are in racing in sactioned events and classes then so be it, but just joe-blow of an internet forum, give me a break. Chances are if a cam is working well for someone and So-and-so grinds a 222/222 cam that works badass for X setup then I would bet you 10$ to a donut you would get that guy to grind it since it was HIS cam. It has been proven time and again that two cams with the same .05 value to work totally different, given different grinders. Im just aggrivated right now because I was doing some research on turbo cams and found atleast a dozen threads with good info pertaining to me that the cams specs were "classified".
Old 11-25-2006, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking at some of the same threads you have . Each cam grind is specific to the combo it is designed to make power on, so even if you were to "steal" the specs, it would likely not work as well on your exact combo. It's kinda like "stealing" someone else's tune and expecting it to run the same on your truck. It won't, but it can be good to look at to compare and grab ideas from. There is so much help and advise available, it seems like the cam specs are the only think kept so secret.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Why would a customer keep the specs to themselves?
Because the guy who designed it asked them to.
Why?
Because copy-catting cams goes on quite often. The end.

All of that other stuff that you threw in there is just added B.S. that customers have started, due to having a 'custom' cam.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Personally I think it is to create an 'aura' or 'allure' around certain cam 'designers' so they can keep some kind of mystique. I would bet at the end of the day when you found out what the specs were, you'd see they're nothing special.

There has to be a happy medium between the morons at Comp (call 5 times and get 5 different recommendations) and the people who make you sign NDA's.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The same mentality applies to two stroke port timing, top secret info. A few years ago one of my better friends that owns a atv shop about ended our friendship over this very matter. At one time he was using my port specs then when he found a better combination, he wouldn't educate me on the new information/principal of his port timings. His excuse was that it is his livelyhood and couldn't give out that info. Like I was going to run off and tell everyone or steal his business. Eventually you will find someone who is willing to help you out and this is a pretty good place to find that info.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

I agree. If you aren't in any kind of organized competition there is no reason for you to keep your cam specs secret. That is just B.S. I feel most people do it to make everyone think their engine is something special when in all reality it is just like a thousand other peoples'.

Quick Reply: Why are some people so anal about sharing cam specs?