INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Why are some people so anal about sharing cam specs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 08:32 AM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboGibbs
I agree. If you aren't in any kind of organized competition there is no reason for you to keep your cam specs secret. That is just B.S. I feel most people do it to make everyone think their engine is something special when in all reality it is just like a thousand other peoples'.
see youre somewhat wrong here, see not to many 408/svo 42, L92/L76 setups are out there yet. one was and only made 415 cause of a poorly chosen cam and headers. so in this case its not like others. now in a few months yes there will be
Old 11-25-2006, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport Side
Why would a customer keep the specs to themselves?
Because the guy who designed it asked them to.
Why?
Because copy-catting cams goes on quite often. The end.

All of that other stuff that you threw in there is just added B.S. that customers have started, due to having a 'custom' cam.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Quik
see youre somewhat wrong here, see not to many 408/svo 42, L92/L76 setups are out there yet. one was and only made 415 cause of a poorly chosen cam and headers. so in this case its not like others. now in a few months yes there will be
Ok. I guess you can have your time of glory for a "few" months.

Well my 370 is probably going to be the first L92 headed, turbo'd, L92 carb style intake'd, 6 speed'd, RCSB, black Jay Giles edition truck and i've posted my cam specs several times.
Well, at the rate i'm putting it together it might not be the first.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:25 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport Side
Why would a customer keep the specs to themselves?
Because the guy who designed it asked them to.
Why?
Because copy-catting cams goes on quite often. The end.
Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Chances are if a cam is working well for someone and So-and-so grinds a 222/222 cam that works badass for X setup then I would bet you 10$ to a donut you would get that guy to grind it since it was HIS cam. It has been proven time and again that two cams with the same .05 value to work totally different, given different grinders.
Look familiar?

Who gives a **** if it is copied, like i said .05 values dont mean **** as far as making the same cam unless you got the valve events ICL etc etc etc. There is only so many ways a cam can be ground and there isnt anyone else out there that has some damn special trick up there sleeve. I just odnt see the problem in sharing grind specifications that could help other memebers out other then just wanting to "seem" special or be cool or what the-hell ever. Its just plain retarded. So SportSide you think someone is going to copy my cam exactly and put Jones out of business huh? Fact of the matter is this internet forum(tech included) has quite a bit of power behind it but not enough to put a man out of business. Especially when he specs a cam out and the .05 values are given out or hell even the damn cam card, he isnt oging to go hungry, most people are oging to buy it from him since he is the one with the working combination. Just like this Ed Curtis guy, I ahve seen some of his grinds and they arent anything special AT ALL but since they are super top secret everyone thinks he is the ****. Just like the thread by Moregrip, everyone wants to know what he has and it gets everyones interest up because he didnt post the specs. Thats why he had an 8 page long thread not because he got a cam but because he didnt post the specs. People are the SAME way on tech. In the end it is every cam owners right to withhold their specs but if you are going to be like that get the hell of the forum, we are here to help, if you dont want to help and share your experiences, bye, bye
Old 11-25-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

by not knowing the cam specs only that person knows if their is anymore left in their setup, which chances are their are always more left in it.

Wasnt their a cam grinder around here not to long ago that wouldnt even let the purchaser know the specs? Now thats dumb IMO. The owner of the vehicle not sharing cam specs is his own thing tho. I personally dont like it but im not gonna hate the owner just cause he wont share specs.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:41 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't buy it if I don't know what it is...PERIOD. I personally don't see a problem with sharing the specs, but I guess if they request not to then that's o.k.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:48 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Just like this Ed Curtis guy, I ahve seen some of his grinds and they arent anything special AT ALL but since they are super top secret everyone thinks he is the ****.
i heard the numbers on one of ed curtis' specs a while back and thought it was retarded. i was proven right
Old 11-25-2006, 10:48 AM

For those guys told not to share specs from their grinder, Im not ******* them at all its the grinders that are like that and the people that do it just to be a jerk, or act like their **** doesnt stink. I started the whole thread because there was alot of wha to me would have been very useful info on tech that would help me out on cams for turbos but like I said there was atleas a dozen threads that the cams specs were classified. Its just aggrivating when you use the search and you dont get anything out of it because people are not being helpful. Hell there were even a couple of posts where some of the guys posted that their setup was working awesome blah blah blah then when someone asks for his specs he says he doesnt want to give them out. Why post anything about your **** when you arent willing to help out?
Old 11-25-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Veteran

So SportSide you think someone is going to copy my cam exactly and put Jones out of business huh?
Okay, I'm going to use this as a place to start.

If Jones does not want EVERYONE in the world to know what cam he would use, he MAY and has every ******* right to disclose his specs. Why would he do this?

Lets take this approach. After you posting you're cam card, I now have no reason to purchase a Jone's cam if I go with a turbo. Why? Because I now know he uses aggressive seat timing and lots of lift for his turbo setups. He also uses a a single pattern camshaft.

I can get camshafts for $300, so why go spend the extra money on his camshaft when I can go straight to the Comp list of lobes and order a single pattern XE-R profile for a lot cheaper.

Well this creates a problem for Jones. He just lost my business. I was going to use him, but now that I know what kinda specs he uses, I can mimik his cam and order it straight from Comp. Sucks for him.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:59 AM

He sells his cams for 310 to your door too, he doesnt use single patterns for all his turbo stuff, mine is single pattern because I plan on spraying a big shot of nitrous along with the turbo. Your statement bout people going somewhere else and their prices is such a blanket statement its not even funny. Anyone that knows anything about cams knows that a cam needs to be tailor suited to their app, my cam is just a good "starting point" to help them on their way to making an informed decision for what they should use.

Did you mean "not to disclose his specs"?

You are right, every cam grinder out there has the right to, its their property, but I just think its chicken ****, along with the people that dont disclose their specs(that can not the ones sworn to secrecy by their cam grinder). That was the whole point of the thread.

Quick Reply: Why are some people so anal about sharing cam specs?