INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Why are some people so anal about sharing cam specs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 11:03 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO< if my cam grinder ask me not to disclose the specs, I wouldnt. Also, if its a custom cam, what makes you think it will work optimal with your setup when it was designed for mine, so why not give the info out? I know the guy who grinded mind wouldnt give me the specs till he knew I was ready to buy, but even after he gave me the specs, he didnt insist I buy from him, though I did. Ive posted my specs a few times, and its no secret, but it was designed for my truck with what I wanted out of it. Doesnt mean it wont work good in a similar truck, but why not just call any cam grinder and ask for a personal recomendation, it doesnt cost any more to get a custom cam as oposed to an "off-the-shelf" cam.

Just my oppinion though
Old 11-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Being able to look at different setup sand their cam specs and seeing how it changes the powerband and driveability would be useful in steering people inthe right direction. I've been doing alot of research on tech, do you honestly think that I think those cams are going to work in my truck that weighs 2000#s more? It is a tool like anything else to accomplish my goal and its nice to look at other setups close to mine(engine and P/A wise) to see how they work.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He sells his cams for 310 to your door too, he doesnt use single patterns for all his turbo stuff, mine is single pattern because I plan on spraying a big shot of nitrous along with the turbo. Your statement bout people going somewhere else and their prices is such a blanket statement its not even funny. Anyone that knows anything about cams knows that a cam needs to be tailor suited to their app, my cam is just a good "starting point" to help them on their way to making an informed decision for what they should use.
"Anyone that knows anything about camshafts"... That's unforunate because every cam designer knows that 9 out of 10 people looking for a camshaft, do not know **** about them. Why else would they go to an expert?

my cam is just a good "starting point" to help them on their way to making an informed decision for what they should use
OOOOHHHH. A starting point. I understand. That's why every truck on this board with a Radix uses a GT2-3? And every guy with a turbo uses a reverse split with a wide lobe seperation?

These aren't starting points. They are fads on what people 'think' will work best. Why else would everyone use the same stuff? It has to start somewhere, does it not?
Old 11-25-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Researching online forums gives you a shortcut past years of trial and error done at someone else's expense. If you get some honest information, it can save you from making an un-educated guess at what will work best. The are popular proven set-ups out there that require no guesswork, you pretty much know what you should make once it's bolted on. I have given advise to my friends about what I have tried, how it worked and what I would do different. I am still learning and appreciate all of the help I get from the forum. When it comes to things like camshafts or tuning, most people (myself included) don't have the entire knowledge base to make their own decision. If there is a spectrum of camshaft results to look at, it can only make your decision easier.

"Don't fruit the specs, Man Law!"
Old 11-25-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

people use the same stuff on this board because its proven and the majority of the members dont have the know how or the desire to put something togethor that is unique and will work. I do agree on the fad statement alot I think for every 1 person on here who runs a certain cam with great results you have 5 other guys who try and run that same cam with out the stellar results and they are scratching thier heads and you get posts like why didnt I run good times.
But at the same time there are a select few who put together setups that work and every know and then they drop by to impart wisdom.

If someone doesnt want to give specs there isnt anything wrong with that, they spent time and money to develope the cam they should reap the rewards.

If someone really knows whats up they are gonna be specing there own stuff anyway.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
people use the same stuff on this board because its proven and the majority of the members dont have the know how or the desire to put something togethor that is unique and will work. I do agree on the fad statement alot I think for every 1 person on here who runs a certain cam with great results you have 5 other guys who try and run that same cam with out the stellar results and they are scratching thier heads and you get posts like why didnt I run good times.
But at the same time there are a select few who put together setups that work and every know and then they drop by to impart wisdom.

If someone doesnt want to give specs there isnt anything wrong with that, they spent time and money to develope the cam they should reap the rewards.

If someone really knows whats up they are gonna be specing there own stuff anyway.
again

funny thread.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:36 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by rgvsierra
again

funny thread.
yeah, where's the popcorn smilie
Old 11-25-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use the GT2-3 and LOVE it. But im using it N/A and a 125 shot. I think a few of you have questioned it but turns out it worked for my setup. I did not buy this cam off of anyone elses setup. I think that if someone has the same setup it doesnt actually mean they are copying it maybe they are just looking for similiar results or better? Or what if the two people just actually think the setup they have or are going to use is the perfect one.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:24 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3

UNfortunately Im not a cam wizard so I like to see what has work in the past for people and the trends that occur with certain cams and see how changing ICL IVC IVO changes the powerband. I dont have the knowledge to spec my own cam so I use the search button to see what has worked in the past and compare setups and maybe with that info I can make an "informed" decision.

Originally Posted by Sport Side
"Anyone that knows anything about camshafts"... That's unforunate because every cam designer knows that 9 out of 10 people looking for a camshaft, do not know **** about them. Why else would they go to an expert?

my cam is just a good "starting point" to help them on their way to making an informed decision for what they should use
OOOOHHHH. A starting point. I understand. That's why every truck on this board with a Radix uses a GT2-3? And every guy with a turbo uses a reverse split with a wide lobe seperation?

These aren't starting points. They are fads on what people 'think' will work best. Why else would everyone use the same stuff? It has to start somewhere, does it not?
Well the "fads" seem to work pretty damn well, do you not agree? The fad for for turbos is a reverse split, seems to work, then how much of a split should you go with? I dont know, so I did some searching to see what different ones are putting down.

You dismiss these "fad" cams as if they dont work but yet, you got less then stellar results from your cam, and your "theories" havent seemed to play out as well. I know of someone on this board whos cam you spec'ed out and so far has not put up the results you would expect for a cam that is "custom". Not to mention the thread that went on forever with 02sierra where it seems you know some things about cams that guys who have been doing it for YEARS dont seem to know. I just really dont see how you can play off the gt2-3 cam or the tr220 cam which have been proven performers, maybe you could eek a bit more out of them by changing the valve events up a bit but that still doesnt mean they should be written off simply as ok cams. I dont know of any regular joe that wants to go to the time and expense of buying some cam that no one has in the hopes that maybe it will work. Wouldnt you rather use something that has been a proven and especially since most of the guys on here pay someone 250+ to install the cam you are talking about a big investment on something that is "unproven". With me I do all my own work so swapping a cam isnt that big of a deal and Im willing to try something unorthodoxed like the cam Im going with. I fully intend on putting a "traditional" turbo cam in my engine later on to see what the difference is. In the case of the "common" setups I fail to see any reason to go with custom cam when there is so many prven performers out there. Now once you start getting into semi-unordinary setups like mine with a large motor, lots of nitrous and turbo things get more difficult and requires much more thought and planning put into a cam selection. I know you, yourself look at dyno graphs all the time to see correlations between different grinds and thats all I was simply doing but a large portion of the threads I was reading and setups that would pertain to me had classified specs. I just think its retarded to hide your specs, its my personal opinion and quite a few others on this board. Take it for what its worth, and ot some it aint much.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
i heard the numbers on one of ed curtis' specs a while back and thought it was retarded. i was proven right
Who's setup was this?

Quick Reply: Why are some people so anal about sharing cam specs?