INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Why are some people so anal about sharing cam specs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 01:41 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Reaper
Who's setup was this?
The guy asked us not tell his specs and I dont think he would appreciate us posting his name. When the time comes Im sure he will post up once he gets his setup together, he is still having problems with it.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02Reaper
Who's setup was this?
Id like to know too, if your gonna call out EDC you better have your **** togethor.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Look familiar?

Who gives a **** if it is copied, like i said .05 values dont mean **** as far as making the same cam unless you got the valve events ICL etc etc etc. There is only so many ways a cam can be ground and there isnt anyone else out there that has some damn special trick up there sleeve. I just odnt see the problem in sharing grind specifications that could help other memebers out other then just wanting to "seem" special or be cool or what the-hell ever. Its just plain retarded. So SportSide you think someone is going to copy my cam exactly and put Jones out of business huh? Fact of the matter is this internet forum(tech included) has quite a bit of power behind it but not enough to put a man out of business. Especially when he specs a cam out and the .05 values are given out or hell even the damn cam card, he isnt oging to go hungry, most people are oging to buy it from him since he is the one with the working combination. Just like this Ed Curtis guy, I ahve seen some of his grinds and they arent anything special AT ALL but since they are super top secret everyone thinks he is the ****. Just like the thread by Moregrip, everyone wants to know what he has and it gets everyones interest up because he didnt post the specs. Thats why he had an 8 page long thread not because he got a cam but because he didnt post the specs. People are the SAME way on tech. In the end it is every cam owners right to withhold their specs but if you are going to be like that get the hell of the forum, we are here to help, if you dont want to help and share your experiences, bye, bye

Once you buy the cam, ed states that you can do anything you want with the numbers, post em up to the world or whatever. If moregrip doesnt want to give out his specs, its because he doesnt want to share them, not because the grinder said not to. Here is a very good scenario that is about to happen. I have a custom cam in a 02 silverado 5.3. two weeks ago I ran a 12.75 with the only weight reduction being the tailgate. truck weighed in at 4578 lbs. Now, Im going to replace this motor with a 6.0 and a guy I know is going to buy the motor. His truck is heavier, doesnt have a stall, has higher gears, and maybe some other things are different, but the point is, He understands that this motor will not run those same times or better without my setup, because This cam was made to work with my current mods. Thing is, this custom cam seems to work pretty damn good to me without taking the muffler, seats, running a shortbelt, taking the swaybar off, replacing the 18's up front with stock rims and tires, and so much other non daily driver things that people do to be getting better times.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know of any regular joe that wants to go to the time and expense of buying some cam that no one has in the hopes that maybe it will work. Wouldnt you rather use something that has been a proven and especially since most of the guys on here pay someone 250+ to install the cam you are talking about a big investment on something that is "unproven".
If regular Joe wanted to go just as fast as everybody else, then he would have no reason to try something different. Whether my junk works or not, I'm attempting to find something better, so that I can go quicker than everybody else, given the peripherals (assuming N/A 5.3L). If that's not 'regular Joe' around here, I think this board would have been named RegularTrucks.Net.

And the stuff aimed at me is greatly appreciated, despite it has nothing to do with YOU'RE topic.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
Id like to know too, if your gonna call out EDC you better have your **** togethor.
you got that right, I will defend him, even if it takes me getting banned.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:02 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im not calling Ed out jsut saying thus far what I have seen of his cams in the truck scene have been less then stellar. Correct me if Im wrong but have any of the EDC guys run anything good yet? SportSide, yes people want to go fast and be faster then the people around them but look at how many people run the tr220 and tr224 nothing specail abotu those grinds but they get results and haul ***, period, I realize you are trying to be faster then other 5.3 guys but the way you respond to threads on here like you know something that guys that have been in the business since before you were born havent figured out I fail to see how you are breaking new ground. This has gotten way off topic from where it was originally intended, SportSide if you would like to continue our conversation shoot me a PM, I have stated my position well about how I feel on people having secret cams and I am done.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Im not calling Ed out jsut saying thus far what I have seen of his cams in the truck scene have been less then stellar. Correct me if Im wrong but have any of the EDC guys run anything good yet? SportSide, yes people want to go fast and be faster then the people around them but look at how many people run the tr220 and tr224 nothing specail abotu those grinds but they get results and haul ***, period, I realize you are trying to be faster then other 5.3 guys but the way you respond to threads on here like you know something that guys that have been in the business since before you were born havent figured out I fail to see how you are breaking new ground. This has gotten way off topic from where it was originally intended, SportSide if you would like to continue our conversation shoot me a PM, I have stated my position well about how I feel on people having secret cams and I am done.
Its stated above what I run, I have an EDC cam.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Veteran

SportSide if you would like to continue our conversation shoot me a PM, I have stated my position well about how I feel on people having secret cams and I am done.
Well, if you're going to call me out infront of everyone, why bail now?

but the way you respond to threads on here like you know something that guys that have been in the business since before you were born havent figured out I fail to see how you are breaking new ground.
Please site examples. I know you have the time.
I'll defend myself now and tell you straight up that 'my non-ground breaking theories' are not my own. They are from those guys who you say are older and wiser than me. Obviously, you don't look at it like this and prefer to approach it as I'm attempting to be Mr. Smart.

Im not calling Ed out jsut saying thus far what I have seen of his cams in the truck scene have been less then stellar.
Maybe it's the fact that some of the guys with these custom cams, keep to themselves? Not everyone likes to brag.

Ed has reaper's truck running 12.7s at full weight and I do believe I cammed the fastest 6.0L cam-only truck.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

NOTHIN agianst anyone and not pointing any fingers.

I like the way sportside will come into a cam thread and post his knowledge. I have only seen him retract one statement before, to this date I still think its funny just cause it was to me. That was about my cam, 1slow you have also commented on that. Both of yall told me I could go better. But sportside came back and said that my cam is proven after watchin my video. 10.00 in 1000ft with nothin besides removed tailgate and cutous, dr's, other then that is was how I drive it every day.

But sportside will come into a thread and post his knowledge and opinion and it all, to me, is very right in our setups; truck intake. But most people just say do this. He takes his time out and will ELABORATE on what HE thinks will outperform in those circumstances. To me that is very helpful on and the whole point on here. Everyone can be wrong 1slow, not everyone is perfect. I have been wrong towards you before in jumpin on your case and doggin your truck(that was more infun tho then anything). lol
Old 11-25-2006, 02:22 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

can someone explain the purpose of this thread to me? it smells of a rant and nothing more, what is its merit?

Quick Reply: Why are some people so anal about sharing cam specs?