INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Wisdom Needed (Top end replacement NNBS)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 07:56 PM
DOA
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wisdom Needed (Top end replacement NNBS)

Hey Guys,

I have done a bunch of research on this, but I have a few questions on the short list of options. I want to wake up my heavy Avy with some NA options for now, but keep the setup smart if I Maggie it one day. This is a Daily Driver and I would like good street manners.

I've read up on the DOD delete for the NNBS and don't really have any questions there. My thoughts were after the PITA I'll go through to swap the cam and remove the stock heads, I might as well NOT put the stockers back on. I might as well replace anytihng else that makes sense too.

So I'm looking for some Modified stock castings to keep the costs down. I'm curious on how much of an improvement you think id get from doing this. I know that the 243 castings that I have already are decent to begin with, which makes me wonder if I'll feel an improvement. I think my truck stock CR is 10:1 with the 243s and the flat top pistons. I thought that I would try and raise the CR a little by milling the heads or going with a smaller Camber if you guys think its worth it. Maybe high 10s to 1.

My Short Head list: (open for options)
1 - Patriot Performance CNC Ported 5.3 2.02"/1.57" 63cc Heads Assembled
(seem to have the smallest camber and cost is not bad)

2 - PRC 220cc 5.3L Stage 2.5 CNC Ported Head
(Slightly cheaper than above, I would probably get 918 springs instead of doubles. New castings)

3 - WCCH Worked 243 by Richard
(seems really spendy compared to above and they are used castings with a core charge)

4 - having my 243s worked
(Doesn't seem worth the time and cost, can do above for similar cost)

Ok, so the Cam. I just purchased the Trucker Cam from the classified section. It was on my list and seemed to be a good price for a rare cam. I'm still open for opinions on this tho. TR220 and GT2-3 where also on my list. I wanted to go a little larger than some of the recommended blower cams incase the maggie never happened. Not to mention I guess I could swap the cam more easily after the DOD delete.

Intakes, I've heard these aren't worth it on the trucks. LMK if there is a cheap upgrade here like one of the Vette intakes.

Stall, I need to change that too. I was thinking something along the lines of 26-2800 RPM incase that maggie happens, I don't want to be to high.

Sorry about the long thread. I guess I can just summarize my questions below because I rambled more than I wanted to.

Questions:

1 - Heads, Is it worth it on my truck? Am I on the right track? Is there a standout on the list?

2 - Should i increase the CR to high 10s?

3 - I know the Trucker Cam is proven, is there something else that I should consider?

4 - Intakes?

5 - TC 26-2800?

6 - Fuel, will I need more with this setup? Bigger injectors ect.?

Thanks in advance guys.

DOA
Old 01-02-2010, 08:30 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me see if I can help out a little bit...

Heads are always a good idea IMO, even with the stock cam there are gains to be had with good flowing heads...I love WCCH, as I've gotten top notch customer service from Richard, he has always taken the time to answer all of my questions every time I call, and I always come away from the conversation with more info and knowledge than I started out looking for.

I wouldn't increase the CR if you're planning on a maggie in the future, you don't want your CR too high with boost.

I think that the Trucker cam will work great with your application

Your stock intake should be more than adequate, and will be removed anyway if and when you get a maggie.

2600 converter is a perfect match IMO.

If you're staying NA, the stock fuel pump will be fine, but I think that you may end up maxing out the injectors with the bigger cam. A set of the gas 8.1 injectors (29.9#) should work, or you could go with the 42# marine injectors, but they may be more expensive than the "31's", and if you go with a maggie you'll have to change them out again anyway (do the maggies come with their own injectors?)

You mentioned Comp 918's...I'm personally not a fan of those springs since I've read many threads about them breaking....including the latest "silver" springs that are supposed to be the good batch. If I were to go with a stiffer 130# spring, I'd go with PAC 1218's myself. For the Trucker cam, you can use the yellow LS6 springs and be fine, but if you think you'll be going bigger in the future, it wouldn't be a bad idea to just go with the heavier springs on the first shot so you're not doing springs twice.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:50 PM
DOA
On The Tree

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the Tips and the Cam.

WCCH, I think he wants about 800+ more than the PRC or Patriot if you add the core charge and its a used casting. Do you think there is 800$ in performance difference there? I'm all for good service, but that is almost twice the price. If I was going to spend that much on heads, I might as well go aftermarket for a few more bucks.

Springs, I was told not to over spring my valvetrain. That's why I was thinking the smaller 918s. That said I sure don't want the springs to break. The 918 were the smallest springs that Texas had with the assembly. The Trucker only has a .551 max lift.

Maggies do come with new fuel injectors. I just don't know if I need them with the new cam and heads?
Old 01-02-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I would personally get Trickflow heads before spending that much on ported factory castings. At least, that's the conclusion I came to.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:05 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by DOA
Hey Bill,

Thanks for the Tips and the Cam.

WCCH, I think he wants about 800+ more than the PRC or Patriot if you add the core charge and its a used casting. Do you think there is 800$ in performance difference there? I'm all for good service, but that is almost twice the price. If I was going to spend that much on heads, I might as well go aftermarket for a few more bucks.

Springs, I was told not to over spring my valvetrain. That's why I was thinking the smaller 918s. That said I sure don't want the springs to break. The 918 were the smallest springs that Texas had with the assembly. The Trucker only has a .551 max lift.

Maggies do come with new fuel injectors. I just don't know if I need them with the new cam and heads?
Glad to help, hope you enjoy the cam. Maybe in a year or so I'll buy it back from you lol

Yea, $800 is a lot of coin, I see your point there. As far as springs go, I totally agree that you don't want to go overboard on the springs and put unnecessary stress on the valvetrain, especially the lifters. The PAC 1218's are basically identical to the Comp 918's, only with a better track record...I've only read of 1 broken PAC 1218 on here, and there's no proof that the spring itself was the problem. (PAC has a heavier spring also, I believe that it's a 1518). Off the top of my head, both the Comp 918 and PAC 1218 have 130# closed seat pressure, and the yellow LS6 springs have 90# closed seat pressure. Seems like a PAC 1218 is basically a Comp 918 that won't break lol.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:24 PM
DOA
On The Tree

I'll definitely stay away from the 918s than.

Is there a Trickflow head that is not twice what a ported 243 would cost? (1100ish)

Thanks
Old 01-02-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You get what you pay for.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:37 PM
DOA
On The Tree

Can you make a TrickFlow recommendation? The flow numbers on the PRC look pretty damn good.....
Old 01-02-2010, 09:43 PM
DOA
On The Tree

Oh, about your "you get what you pay for statement". I don't want to pay double the cost for a 5% increase in performance. Not saying that's all Id get from aftermarket heads, I'm just saying I don't want to pay big dollars for the last few points in performance.

I want to Avoid diminishing returns, I want bang for my buck!

Thanks
Old 01-02-2010, 09:49 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

I wasn't aware that TrickFlow made a head that would work well on a 5.3, I thought that their heads were geared towards 5.7+?

Quick Reply: Wisdom Needed (Top end replacement NNBS)