INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Wisdom Needed (Top end replacement NNBS)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 03:19 PM
DOA
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone else have some thoughts on this?
Old 01-04-2010, 11:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have thoughts for you. Being in your shoes I would KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) and you'll be better off than 80% of the builds out there. You have an excellent platform you're starting out with and I wouldn't stray too far from that. If you take your current heads and bring them into your local preferred cylinder head shop I would have them do nothing to the heads other than a high performance valve job. That's going to be a majority of your increase on those heads just right there. Then for springs, I would run a pac 1218, good up to .600 lift and you can get them from SDPC for roughly $125.. For an intake manifold, keep what you have. You should have the new style 90mm intake manifold which is superior to the antiquated previous 78mm intake manifold that most are stuck running with (assuming your truck is a new body style). You've already got headers and everything else is good to go.

Valve job on the heads
Some nice PAC 1218 springs
hardened pushrods (check length needed before ordering)
cam (you already have)

Stay away from the patriot's and prc heads. If you're going to spend any coin on heads (north of $1k) Get some ETP's, AFR's or have someone like Ed Curtis @ FTI do you up a set of 243's or Bret Bauer at Bauer Racing Engines. On heads you're better off either keeping it simple or going all out. That middle of the road stuff will always end up taking more money out of your pocket in the end.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:06 PM
DOA
On The Tree

Thanks for the Tips Joe,

Are you against the PRCs because of the cost? OR is there something wrong with the heads. The main reason I have considered them is because it takes alot of guess work out of it for me. I also don't have to worry about assembly or anything. I assume your Head work is only as good as the guy doing it? Anyone know a good shop in MN that can do it? What would that cost?

BTW, can you put to large of Injectors on? Like even if I don't need them now, can I put 42LB ones on? Anyone know what stock is on the NNBS?

Thanks

Lance
Old 01-06-2010, 07:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Lance, I'll send you a PM later. I have to head out the door for work and my response here will more than likely be edited. Check your PM's in about an hour or so
Old 01-06-2010, 08:01 AM
DOA
On The Tree

Thanks.

Hey Bud, what do you think about my injector question?

Would LS2 Vette Injectors work? I'm told they are 33lbs. I know nothing about injectors.

Thanks

Lance

Last edited by DOA; 01-06-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:14 AM
TECH Junkie

If your truck is flex fuel your injectors will be fine for a NA motor with headers and any other normal mods you throw at it.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:36 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DOA
BTW, can you put to large of Injectors on? Like even if I don't need them now, can I put 42LB ones on? Anyone know what stock is on the NNBS?

Thanks

Lance
Not sure what the NNBS injectors are rated at, but as Joe said, the flex fuel injectors are healthy, just don't know exactly what they flow. I'm going to guess that your setup, with the cam you just bought and heads, would probably be around 80-85% injector duty cycle with 30ish lb injectors, just going by the different info that I've learned here (nothing scientific and no proof, just a guess).

I'm curious also if an injector can be "too big"...seems like a bigger injector will just have less of a duty cycle, but I'm not sure if theres and "optimum duty cycle" for an injector to operate at. *Hopefully somebody can chime in and shed some light on that*...I'd really like to know also.

I do know (once again, from the info that I've gotten here), that guys have put bigger than necessary injectors in and run them with a small duty cycle and no problems...

*EDIT* BTW, I was going to run that cam with the 29.9# 8.1 gas injectors that I bought a long time ago, for my LQ9, and hope for the best. Once I got it together and got it tuned I was going to check the IDC and see if I needed more injector or not. Once again, not very scientific, but old school trial and error
Old 01-06-2010, 09:19 PM
DOA
On The Tree

Thanks Joe and Bud,

So are all these injectors interchangeable?

Also, if you don't know if injectors can be too large, it makes me more curious.

Oh Crap, Joe, I just noticed you are in MPLS. Can you help me answer my question about a good machine shop to work my stock heads if I want to do that?

Thanks again,

Lance
Old 01-06-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DOA
Thanks Joe and Bud,

So are all these injectors interchangeable?

Also, if you don't know if injectors can be too large, it makes me more curious.

Oh Crap, Joe, I just noticed you are in MPLS. Can you help me answer my question about a good machine shop to work my stock heads if I want to do that?

Thanks again,

Lance

Are you located in Minneapolis as well? If so, hit me up with a PM and I can get you started in the right direction. I'm not so sure I would choose anyone here locally......
Old 01-06-2010, 10:49 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to help Lance I think that I'm going to start a "Can injectors be too large?" thread in the GM Exhaust and Performance section...I'll come back and link to it here...now I just gots to know lol!

*EDIT* Hopefully this will educate us a little bit... https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...76#post4367976

Last edited by budhayes3; 01-06-2010 at 11:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Wisdom Needed (Top end replacement NNBS)