INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

XFI lobes w/ PAC 1218 springs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Where did you read that? I read on LS1tech the guy from Thunder racing spec'd out a lot of XFI cams and they worked well.

The XER lobes do me no good as they only go down to 220 duration. And the LSK/LSL lobes are too radical, too high of lift. The XFI lobes are good in they they open up fast and have really nice lift to take advantage of my ported heads.

I read Hot Rod magazines LQ9 cam shootout again and the ONLY cam that beat the stock LQ9 cam everywhere was the crane 210/218. Every other bigger cam was down compared to the stock cam until the rpms got way up there, like 4000-5000 +

That is pointless power to me, I had a heart to heart, I want useable power down low.
That cam is bad *** for off the self.When I was N/A it pulled harder everwhere in the rpm band even without headers.
It is also boost friendly.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The lifts you wrote correspond to the cam in your sig. 228/232 .588/.595 is XER lobes.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by A Low Dime
Im looking at my cam card but no where does it say what lobe? Comp cams website search comes up nothing for the part number or grind number.
Yours are the same lobes as mine, they are FTI specific...
Old 07-05-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
That cam is bad *** for off the self.When I was N/A it pulled harder everwhere in the rpm band even without headers.
It is also boost friendly.
Thanks. That's what I wanted to hear. I'm also going to use it with the turbo. KB runs a very similar crane 210/218 and says it works very well with his turbo. I could just get the crane cam, but honestly, I think the custom one would work a tad better for me due to the extra lift and my heads flowing more at that lift.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your probably right bout the extra flow.That's why I have a set of crane gold 1.8s ready to go on when I get everything sorted out.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

I checked TSP's website. My heads flow 286 @ .500" and 305@ .600"

The crane cam has .551" lift whereas the XFI lobes is .595"

I'm not sure if it will really make much of a difference. But also the crane cam is $424 and speed-eng cuts the custom cam for $359
Old 07-05-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

That crane cam is not the same exact cam as the one in hot rod or mine.Should be .531 lift on both ends and is sometimes refeared as the crane low lift.The one with .551 is the high lift version and has some differences in valve events.Does it make a difference idk just letting you know.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:06 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you read that? I read on LS1tech the guy from Thunder racing spec'd out a lot of XFI cams and they worked well.

The XER lobes do me no good as they only go down to 220 duration. And the LSK/LSL lobes are too radical, too high of lift. The XFI lobes are good in they they open up fast and have really nice lift to take advantage of my ported heads.

I read Hot Rod magazines LQ9 cam shootout again and the ONLY cam that beat the stock LQ9 cam everywhere was the crane 210/218. Every other bigger cam was down compared to the stock cam until the rpms got way up there, like 4000-5000 +

That is pointless power to me, I had a heart to heart, I want useable power down low.
Don't forget that Hot Rod did tests on a Crane Cam, which has completely different lobes than anything Comp does...a 210/218 Comp XFI and 210/218 Crane "Quick Lift" are completely different monsters. When I ordered my 216/224 from Roger Vinci, he was explaining to me how my 216 would act more like something with 22x duration. So a Crane 210 might actually have characteristics more like a 214-216ish. It seems like not too many people have given the Crane/Vinci stuff a chance, but everything that I've seen, felt, and read on Tech tells me that they're pretty impressive. tdrumm's old Vinci 210/218 .551/.551 112 put down some pretty impressive numbers on the dyno in his 5.3 (can't remember the numbers off the top of my head), and that truck pulled like a ****.

If you're looking to buy a new Crane grind, you're going to have to do some searching for someone who has or bought up old stock, as Crane was bought by S&S Cycle on May 7, and it may take a while before they get the operation rolling again. You could aways give Roger Vinci a call (google Vinci Hi Performance), and probably get more accurate information on what's available and when it will be available. I know that when I bought my Trucker cam it was one of two that he had left...

S&S Cycle of Viola, Wisconsin acquired certain assets of Crane Cams, Inc. on May 7, 2009. Those assets include the inventory, intellectual property, and trademarks for all Crane automotive and motorcycle electronic and valve train products. The intellectual property portion includes designs, drawings, and cam profiles. Crane Cams was founded in 1953, and like S&S Cycle, founded in 1958, it has become a respected and iconic brand in the high performance industry.

S&S intends to continue to sell Crane products through the same distributors and dealers who have sold them in the past. To that end, they will establish a new facility in Daytona Beach, Florida to manage the business and provide customer service and technical support. This new facility will be staffed by many of the same personnel that Crane customers have worked with in the past, providing as seamless a transition as possible. While there may be some shortages of product in the near future, the Crane/S&S team will be working hard to fill back orders and meet future demand for Crane ignitions and valve train components.

It will take some time to bring Crane products back on line, so please be patient, and check back to this website frequently for up to date information.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Don't forget that Hot Rod did tests on a Crane Cam, which has completely different lobes than anything Comp does...a 210/218 Comp XFI and 210/218 Crane "Quick Lift" are completely different monsters. When I ordered my 216/224 from Roger Vinci, he was explaining to me how my 216 would act more like something with 22x duration. So a Crane 210 might actually have characteristics more like a 214-216ish. It seems like not too many people have given the Crane/Vinci stuff a chance, but everything that I've seen, felt, and read on Tech tells me that they're pretty impressive. tdrumm's old Vinci 210/218 .551/.551 112 put down some pretty impressive numbers on the dyno in his 5.3 (can't remember the numbers off the top of my head), and that truck pulled like a ****.

If you're looking to buy a new Crane grind, you're going to have to do some searching for someone who has or bought up old stock, as Crane was bought by S&S Cycle on May 7, and it may take a while before they get the operation rolling again. You could aways give Roger Vinci a call (google Vinci Hi Performance), and probably get more accurate information on what's available and when it will be available. I know that when I bought my Trucker cam it was one of two that he had left...
Interesting info...if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the cam. Vinci's website has it listed for $413. That seems high to me for a cam. Stock48 does the Isky cams for around $360 I think and Speed-eng also does cams for $360. I would not hesitate to get the Vinci cam, but Im not liking that price.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:34 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting info...if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the cam. Vinci's website has it listed for $413. That seems high to me for a cam. Stock48 does the Isky cams for around $360 I think and Speed-eng also does cams for $360. I would not hesitate to get the Vinci cam, but Im not liking that price.
It was on sale when I bought it...I can't remember exactly, but I think it was around $360ish...definitely less than $380...

Quick Reply: XFI lobes w/ PAC 1218 springs?