Notices

Lightning concept vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightning concept vehicle

have any of you seen it? new body style, new technology. supposed to be putting out 500 hp. they incorporated some kind of intercooler into the supercharger. they call it their "SuperCooler." I have a link, but is long as all hell.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:14 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 01Blue4.8
they incorporated some kind of intercooler into the supercharger.

just like a radix.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by onyx
just like a radix.
I think the SuperCooler on that concept is actually where the intercooler is hooked up to the A/C somehow, although I dont remember the ins & outs of it. Something like it ran ice cold fluid through the intercooler for about 30 seconds. I dunno, someone will chime in with the technicalities.
Ryan
Old 08-09-2004, 11:34 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Juggernaut
I think the SuperCooler on that concept is actually where the intercooler is hooked up to the A/C somehow, although I dont remember the ins & outs of it. Something like it ran ice cold fluid through the intercooler for about 30 seconds. I dunno, someone will chime in with the technicalities.
Ryan

ahhhhhhh.....
Old 08-09-2004, 11:39 PM
Truck addict

yea i read a while back they were working on running the intercooler and a/c together to create a cold cold cold charge of air. call me crazy but i can't wait for this truck to hit the market.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:20 AM
TECH Resident

where's gator when you actually need him?
Old 08-10-2004, 02:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It uses the ac to cool the sc coolent to just above freezing. When you go wot it dumps the chilled coolent into the system. The result is about 100 extra horses. Good for about 30 seconds then it take a few minutes to chhill the coolent back down.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea its hooked up to the A/C and its "charges" or "cools" the air and gives u like a _ _ sec shot of i dont remember how much.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:20 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula

Originally Posted by onyx
just like a radix.
Not exactly.

http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/Car.php?carnumber=418

"Ford’s patented SuperCooler technology cleverly provides a special burst of power for the SVT Lightning concept. Traditional intercoolers dissipate heat from the supercharged air by circulating coolant through a front-mounted, air-cooled radiator. With the SuperCooler system, the vehicle’s air conditioning system is used to chill a small storage tank of coolant to about 30 degrees Fahrenheit.

On demand, the SuperCooler system switches the intercooler flow from its normal circulation and dumps the chilled coolant into the engine’s intercooler. In turn, the intercooler dissipates up to 20 percent more heat from the charge air – resulting in a denser air charge.

A green light on the instrument panel indicates the system’s readiness. SuperCooler is activated automatically when the driver depresses the accelerator to a wide-open-throttle position.

As a result of this cool technology, the SVT Lighting concept can give its driver as much as 50 transient horsepower for short bursts of 30-45 seconds and regenerate within 2 minutes under normal driving conditions. While its effect is similar to that of an aftermarket nitrous oxide system, the SuperCooler is completely self-contained, environmentally friendly and regenerative. "

Cool.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by goshawk23
call me crazy but i can't wait for this truck to hit the market.
Competion is always good. I how GM will come out with a true lightning fighter, somthing with boost. I would like to see 'Syclone II'.

Quick Reply: Lightning concept vehicle