Notices

Lightning / TrailBlazer SS compare / race

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightning / TrailBlazer SS compare / race

Feeling a little down last night because of cancelled t-n-t at the track due to earlier rain - wanted to go better my previous times, but got a nice surprise. Wife finally brought home a TB/SS from the dealership for me to check out - I really gotta say, this thing was nice. Ride was smooth and predictable, handling was good, power was extremely noticable, fit and finish were quite commendable. Overall - a very good impression - not bad at all for a hi-perf SUV.

Now for the fun part - taking it out on the road - WOT blasts in this thing are decieving. You mash the go pedal, enjoy the ride and then look down at the speedo and wonder how it got there that quickly. Sure didn't feel like it......

OK, now the comparison part - Lightning is better handling (thanks TVS), but rides a little stiffer, quality is pretty close to the same with more high tech in the TB/SS. Not quite as much driver room in the TB, but that's not what most 'normal sized' people would notice.

It's time for the really good part - the race...............
Got my neighbor and we took them out (he's a pretty good racer, but I won't let him drive the 'L' by himself - I'd lose it). We did a few different senarios - dig, roll, etc.

Results: Absolutely raped him like a fresh young virgin just incarcerated in a maximum security prison - actually thought I could hear the TB/SS screaming in pain (probably not - my blower/exhaust was way too loud). All of this was on the F-1's, but still had the T-bars on, so the dig wasn't bad at all. One time he even tried jumping me from a roll - nope, didn't work - he was soon in my rear view and fading, just like all the other times.

Conclusion: I liked it and would seriously consider getting one if I was in the market - I've always liked the TB's she normally drives, but this is even better.

Now, if only I could get her to bring a Z06 home for the weekend to play with....................

Bird
Old 04-27-2006, 10:03 AM
Teching In

just read this on svt. good write up man.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:10 AM
12 Second SUV Club

nice but the ss was stock right but it is fun to play around like that.I have been beat by a modded lightning when i was stock(now i just got a tune and corsa catback) and i havent raced him yet.Ive always liked lightnings.Pedro
Old 04-27-2006, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PEDRO
nice but the ss was stock right but it is fun to play around like that.I have been beat by a modded lightning when i was stock(now i just got a tune and corsa catback) and i havent raced him yet.Ive always liked lightnings.Pedro

Thought you already whupped a 'modded' Lightning...............???? The thing I really love about the LS series of motors is their ability to keep revving way past the Ford 5.4's limits - they just keep pulling and so smooth in the process.

Bird
Old 04-27-2006, 11:54 AM
12 Second SUV Club

I have but the one i beat was not the one that beat me so i want to try again with the original lightning that beat me(he had a few more things done to it)
Old 04-29-2006, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

brotha
Old 05-01-2006, 06:57 AM
Teching In

what are you calling bs?
Old 05-01-2006, 12:06 PM
12 Second SUV Club

Originally Posted by Junkster
brotha
Old 05-05-2006, 04:40 PM
Launching!

The trailblazer comes with the LS2 right, if so those things have a very good powerplant. the lightning has a short stoke, GM's come with a long stroke so they can rev up way higher than Lightnings. One reason Lightnings are torque monsters. But wouldnt mind a SS trailblazer as a Daily Driver