Notices

Low boost/High compression....

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low boost/High compression....

...?

My next mod is gonna be rods. I was thinking about it today and would like some feedback on this subject. I figure while the rods are out throw some 9:1 pistons in and and drop the boost down a bit.

Anyone have input on this, it's appreciated. I'm pretty sure it would work, and possibly quite well, but I'd like to hear some other opinions on it.

Cree
Old 04-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would think you could get more power from a lower compression ratio and higher boost levels but idk...
Old 04-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Teching In

JJ@WMS has been doing this for a while with good results. Less boost, but more power. Can't run as much timing, but you don't need it to make the power.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Teching In

If your going to replace rods, ya it would be a good idea to throw some low comp pistons in it. Also I would keep the compression around 9.5:1. If you go to low it might hurt you in the HP department or you will need to throw a lot more boost at it.

Brad
Old 04-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Launching!

if u do a search on f150 bout jdm, u can see that jdm is actually building some of his new motors with a 9:1 compression ratio. cant remember the results right off hand
Old 04-06-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Grimace03L
JJ@WMS has been doing this for a while with good results. Less boost, but more power. Can't run as much timing, but you don't need it to make the power.
Yeah, I knew JJ was running motors like this, but I don't know the likely hood of him sharing any info with a lil guy like me. Doesn't he have some Eaton trucks in the low 11's off spray?
Old 04-06-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stripper
If your going to replace rods, ya it would be a good idea to throw some low comp pistons in it. Also I would keep the compression around 9.5:1. If you go to low it might hurt you in the HP department or you will need to throw a lot more boost at it.

Brad
Our STOCK compression is 8.4:1, so its higher for us. DAMMIT Rob, why is everyone taking my idea? Ive been plotting this for a while. More power, on less boost sounds great to me.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Cree - your low rpm torque will be fantastic with that setup and with the right setup / tuning, will pull very strong on the top end. As previously said - lower the timing and watch the A/F and you'll be great with it. I've done this same thing with other suoercharged engines with nice results. Also got around a JLP engine today with 9:1 and stage-3 cams - beautiful sounding lope.

Bird
Old 04-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Teching In

some custom venolias with stainless dykes rings to seel in that boost would be nice then send thm in to get lightend. that may not be a good thing for the longevity of the motor though

http://www.venolia.com/ my buddys have used there stuff in our AMCs for years

anyone know what sise the wrist pin and crank journals are can you do an offset grind and stroke a 5.4
Old 04-06-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bird
Cree - your low rpm torque will be fantastic with that setup and with the right setup / tuning, will pull very strong on the top end. As previously said - lower the timing and watch the A/F and you'll be great with it. I've done this same thing with other suoercharged engines with nice results. Also got around a JLP engine today with 9:1 and stage-3 cams - beautiful sounding lope.

Bird
Sweet. That's what I want to hear. Now I just gotta scrape together the cash for it.

Quick Reply: Low boost/High compression....