Notices

power adders?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 07:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power adders?

well ive been wondering what u guys with lightnings do to get more power out of your trucks. now the only thing ive seen is a few guys have upgraded the S/C it a whipple charger. now my questions is what eles have u done? so by this i mean has any one upgraded the cams, heads, has any one stroker there engin what? please let me kno thanks alot.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Pulley swaps, cams and nitrous are the more common mods. Heads, aftermarket S/C, BIG pills, and Turbos are also done, but not nearly as often as the first things I mentioned. There are stroker kits, but they're kinda pointless IMHO. These motors already have more stroke than a 427 Chevy. I don't think you wanna add more to it.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Teching In

the easiest things are to do pulley swaps like cree said. you can easily add 2-8 extra lbs. of boost. adding 4 extra lbs. will take a lightning from a mid 13 second truck to a high 12 second truck. when changing out the pulleys youll need to reprogram the fuel so it doesnt run too lean and blow up on ya. most people start with a pulley, cai, and tuner. and the motors will still run high mileage with a safe set up like that (up to a #4 pulley. a #6 is getting border line, but it boils down to the tune you put in it).
Old 05-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 203Cree
Pulley swaps, cams and nitrous are the more common mods. Heads, aftermarket S/C, BIG pills, and Turbos are also done, but not nearly as often as the first things I mentioned. There are stroker kits, but they're kinda pointless IMHO. These motors already have more stroke than a 427 Chevy. I don't think you wanna add more to it.
+1 there really isn't any point of stroking the motor much more, I have "heard" but never read f a guy on NLOC that was going to do it, but it isnt at all a daily driver, only trailer queen.

Most people only upgrade the heads and cams when the motor is pulled, it can be done with the motor in, but it is a PITA. Plus with all the extr airflow it can gernade your bottom end. Same as upgraded superchargers

There is plenty of info on NLOC on hundreds of people that have done what your asking. But common is lower pulley, CAI, exhaust, shift kit, and custom dyno tune. Dont forget to upgrade to a bigger heat exchanger like LFP's or a fluidyne, it is espically important when running more boost

Whipples are overated IMO. the first batch were good, but now that whipple is making the rotors, they are having nothing but problems. If I can get Kenne Bell on the phone I would have already ordered my 2.6 Kenne Bell