Notices
Midsize & Compact Trucks Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body

bent pushrod, 18psi of boost

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 03:13 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
OK,So same way as a ls style rockers.The lifter was preloaded a little more with the 918's then stock I would guess.This is likely a matter of just changing the PR's I would guess,but the more I look at the way its bent just seems a lil suspect.Maybe somebody can share a picture of another PR thats bent.Preferably in a scenario where the problem was corrected.
i am a little concerned as well but the easiest thing to do is just swap in some good pushrods and see what happens.

my mind is going with things like maybe i chunked a piston and that got in the way of the valve and bent the pushrod... aren't 918's pretty mild as far as after market springs go?

oh well. i have a set on the way and should be ready to test again on tuesday or so.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah,918's are a relatively mild performance spring.I don't think the piston hit the valve cause,I'm sure it would've popped the lock.I mean it is a possibility but,just not a likely suspect IMO.Do you know if the bend in the PR was on the upper portion by the head or the lower closer to the cam?I wanna guess the cam side.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How high is the owner trying to rev the little 4.3L? The hydraulic roller small-block derived engines have notoriously heavy valve-train and coupled with relatively low spring pressure and high boost, I wouldn’t be surprised if the engine tried to float the valves and under so much boost it just bent the pushrod. The lifter preload shouldn’t change just swapping the springs, as the installed height of the valve-stem didn’t change, only possibly the spring height depending on the retainer/lock combination. That being said, if he ever found the need to pull the heads; I would have the heads machined for screw-in studs and guide-plates, so he would have a stronger fully adjustable valve-train, especially if he ever decided to move up to a stronger set of valve-springs. Better pushrods may help or just be a band-aid if the engine is trying to float the valves; if this is what’s happening, I would increase spring pressure or at least look at installing a REV kit to keep the heavy hydraulic roller lifters under control and possibly extend the rpm capability a little. The problem is I don’t know of anyone that currently offers an out-of-the-box REV kit for the 4.3L V6 and it may require the modification of a kit designed for a SBC. Installing a good set of hardened steel pushrods is still a wise investment.

Just some food for thought, whatever the case, the little engine is running very well. Good luck!
Old 05-22-2011, 10:17 PM
single digit dreamer

pushrod bent toward the cam. the hole in the head help to keep the top strait.

we are not reving it high at all. stock cam. looking at the logs it goes to 5500rpm in 1st and 5200 in 2nd.

everything i am hearing says just try the pushrods. thanks.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yea the more I think about the more I'm convinced a good set of PR will be the fix. What set did you order??
Old 05-23-2011, 06:23 AM
single digit dreamer

comp, 7.375" hardened chromemolly. $99 for 12.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nice. Those will hold very nicly
Old 05-24-2011, 07:06 PM
single digit dreamer

grr, i ordred the wrong ones.

they are 7-3/16" not 7-3/8". now i have some 7.2" long ones on the way.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oops. Lol
Old 05-26-2011, 05:50 PM
single digit dreamer

got the 7.2" comp pushrods in there. nice and quiet now.

took it for a spin, ran it thru the gears a few times with no issues. pulls nicely. now we need it to stop raining so we can goto the track.

Quick Reply: bent pushrod, 18psi of boost