Notices
Midsize & Compact Trucks Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body

New to the s-10 world, what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question New to the s-10 world, what to look for?

Just picked up an '01 s-10 xtreme today with the 2.2L/5 speed combo. Has almost 168k miles on it and has a fresh trans/clutch. What things do I need to be aware of on these trucks?

Thanks for any info/advice!
Old 12-11-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They stop horrible!
Old 12-11-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

For starters, you need to look out for Corolla's. They'll blow you out of the water from a dig.

I'm playing, man. I saw the other thread and the truck looks good. I own a Colorado, so I can't really give you any advice on problems that you may run into, but I do know a few guys with the 2.2 S-10's, and they're tough little trucks. Now if/when you do run into a problem, then I'm sure I can help you.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by TXSZ66AVLANCHE
They stop horrible!
That's what downshifting is for! It does however have the brake AND ABS light on once im in gear and start moving.

Originally Posted by CC05
For starters, you need to look out for Corolla's. They'll blow you out of the water from a dig.

I'm playing, man. I saw the other thread and the truck looks good. I own a Colorado, so I can't really give you any advice on problems that you may run into, but I do know a few guys with the 2.2 S-10's, and they're tough little trucks. Now if/when you do run into a problem, then I'm sure I can help you.
Yea I cant say that this thing is going to win any races against anything But thats ok, for now its my 'eco' truck. Engine seems tough for sure, its got a really tight shift pattern and twice Ive shifted from 2-5 doing 35+ and it just takes it like a cheap *****
Old 12-11-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to upgrade braking power look into blazer calipers they are a two piston instead of the single one the s10 has. I'd you want an extra umph and maybe a mpg or two electric fans help.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

Yea, another S10 owner.
You will also need new 98+ Blazer spindles, hubs/bearings, rotors, pads, and front lines. Not just the calipers from a Blazer.

It isn't any lie the brakes on these things suck.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=black00chev;4828237]That's what downshifting is for! It does however have the brake AND ABS light on once im in gear and start moving.

hey let me know if you find anything out bout this oddly mine just started doing samething!
Old 12-12-2011, 11:55 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Can't speak for the four cylinder, but the 4.3L V6 stock tune has an idle hang that prevents the engine from motoring down in gear. So if the brakes turn out to be ****, and the four banger has the same "feature", keep that in mind lol. Also, the cable that ties up the spare tire under the bed breaks on almost all of those trucks. Keep an eye out for that...you don't want that thing letting go on the highway
Old 12-13-2011, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ABS & Parking Brake Lights On. Could use some help - S-10 Forum

hey check this out..kind of an old post but will help nonetheless. gives SEVERAL options of what "it could be"
hope it helps!
Old 12-13-2011, 05:16 PM

Brakes seem ok but I havent driven it very far yet. AC compressor seems that it has been replaced recently. Plans for it for now are get new tires ASAP, replace 3rd light cover, new antenna, then eventually might get CAI and a little catback just to make it sound better. As soon as I get a nice day and some free time Im also going to lay some black vinyl on all the bowties and plasti-dip the wheels, should give it a nice tough look.

Here is a picture for anyone who hasnt seen it.

Quick Reply: New to the s-10 world, what to look for?