New Members Come in and introduce yourself.

crisp I am...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crisp I am...

WELCOME ME!

...I just joined the ranks of Motor City hardware donning dudes and dames around our globe to be enticed by the age old adage "there's no replacement for displacement!":nunchuk1:

Okay, so truth be told I'm a long-time Toyota driver come over to the BIG side, and a serendipitous sequence of spectacular circumstance selected to bestow this big behemoth upon me. WOOT!

An avid motorcyclist, crazy clown-car crispsupra project nut... and peculiarly verbose purveyor of vernacular redundant...

...I assure you a playful adventure as I acquaint myself with this venue... and would hope that I can learn from the collective experiences of you all, my newest best friends in the brotherhood V-EIGHT!

Loving my latest procurement, this 2002 Chevy Avalanche 1500 5.3l Z71 "Tupperware Truck"... (so I'm teased...) and looking forward to a new chapter in my experience automotive. Please welcome and help me to be a better trucker!

-crisp
Old 01-08-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice choice of words my friend

welcome!
Old 01-08-2010, 10:01 PM

Old 01-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you!

I picked the truck up on a whim when a Japanese Engineer who had been working in the states announced he was heading back to Japan and needed to sell his Avalanche. 2002 with 89k miles in great shape. New rotors, calipers and pads and good rubber. Asking price: $5,000.

...I'd say Santa came rushing into my world in a twelve days of Christmas AVALANCHE of good fortune... as although I had no prior interest (nor had I even really SEEN) one of these up close before... (heck, how can you miss them from AFAR!!!???) ...I found myself immediately compelled to JUMP ON THIS BARGAIN... as my beater '94 Toyota 4x4 was getting so old and worn from Ohio winters... the front right control arm SNAPPED having become as flaky as a fine French pastry over the salted tenure it spent trudging through the roughest of weather... all the while being neglected in the off-season... a victim of the entropic cycles of decay that inevitably invade ignored iron... as it battles the elements of road and passage of time.

Truck is dry and tight underneath when I immediately did a full fluid flush, fill and freshen up at my local reputable oil change shop... wiper blades and tires to 40 (from around 30psi... AAARRRGGHHH!!!) and the mechanics from my other local shop came out and said I clearly STOLE this truck, that it looked to be in great shape, and would likely serve me well for years to come.

Bought it basically site unseen on Tuesday ON THE SPOT when Junichi brought the sale to my attention, ordered the FIPK on Wednesday... received it on Thursday... installed it that night in 19* weather... and here's a quick shot I took of the DIRTY (haven't cleaned ANYTHING yet!!!) engine bay with the new violated moose honker...

...well... it's a start.

Now... I need to know what type of engine management I should buy... and subsequent prioritization of mods along the modest but quality bolt-ons that are most suited for my plans.

Tasteful, functional, relatively practical... and deliberately not TOO wild. (Remember... I already HAVE a 3.0l supra straight six pushing well over 400hp... I'm not needing to break any records with THIS truck!)

Open to good suggestions on the chip and exhaust as likely candidates for next mods on the list. Any other thoughts?

-crisp
Old 01-08-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a good tune...efi live or hpt oh and btw welcome
Old 01-08-2010, 11:12 PM
something else

Welcome to the site and the American side.

When you had the all of the fluids do you know what kind that was used on the transfer case, that's if you had that done also? I am only asking because it take's a special kind from GM- Auto-Trak II Transfer Case Fluid (GM Part No. 12378508). Just a little FYI for you. Don't want to see the wrong fluid being used, I am talking from my mistakes.

EFI Live I would go threw one of our site sponsors you can find them on the right side of the screen.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LsxCody
get a good tune...efi live or hpt oh and btw welcome
Thank you!

Originally Posted by chevytruck
Welcome to the site and the American side.

When you had the all of the fluids do you know what kind that was used on the transfer case, that's if you had that done also? I am only asking because it take's a special kind from GM- Auto-Trak II Transfer Case Fluid (GM Part No. 12378508). Just a little FYI for you. Don't want to see the wrong fluid being used, I am talking from my mistakes.

EFI Live I would go threw one of our site sponsors you can find them on the right side of the screen.
Wow! Good read! You would be assured that my shop was quite aware and good to inform me that I needed to bring IN that fluid and they would do the service at a discount. Good guys and gal at my shop!

Thank you for the straight-out tech tip right off the cuff! I already know the community of you all will steer me straight on my truck.

I will be checking out EFI Live next...

-crisp
Old 01-09-2010, 12:00 AM
something else

Not a problem sir. You will find this site full of very useful people and information.

What other vehicles do you have? Feel free to post pictures of that 400+ Supra!
Old 01-09-2010, 01:24 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 378 Likes on 257 Posts

wow, very smooth use of alliteration

sweet deal on the avy!

A small cam in there would really wake it up, they are very heavy so a low lift 206/212 would do wonders for the midrange.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:27 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Welcome to our humble forum

Quick Reply: crisp I am...