New Members Come in and introduce yourself.

crisp I am...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:08 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

i thought stock gap was 0.04"?
Old 01-16-2010, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
i thought stock gap was 0.04"?

I hope not! I went off the manual in the glovebox...

I really need a proper shop manual for this vehicle! What do you all recommend?

...and where do I go to understand the Vortec 5.3L motor better...

-crisp
Old 01-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

Shot a few pics in the daylight this morning! Messy out... with splotchy drive and melting snow... and the truck picked up a lot of road-spray on the drive home after the rinse-off last night, but it STILL looks pretty clean in these shots! WOOT! I keep thinking $5k for this truck was a great deal! I continue to have a blast with it!

This coming week, I'll be making my first "long" drive with it... and carrying others. The stereo is "crap", but I don't have time to put anything in for now. Sigh...

Engine bay really looks DIFFERENT after a simple Engine Bright rinse! Unbelievable, really! Plugs came out looking even and gapped at the 0.06 level as manual stated, so that was good. (SOME wear on a few... but all well under .08, the next increment on my lame-o plug gap gauge I had laying around.

FLOWMASTER single-into-dual looks as ABOVE!:nunchuk1:

Not sure if it's quite what I pictured... but then, I gave little direction, and I must say they did alright by me for a spontaneous custom job at my local guys. They've always been fair and done good work. Stainless tips are 360* welded (as they should be!) to the tail pipe. Tips are 3.5" off 2.35" dual plumbing from muffler. Stock mid-pipe into muffler.

Very basic, but I'm pretty sure it is flowing more than before, particularly at upper rev range and just off-idle. There may be some flatness early in the curve... so I'm hoping the tune will clean it up all around. We shall see!

BTW, I've been seeing ads on "leveling kits" for the front and such. Is that even worth it if you are going to consider additional suspension upgrades?

-crisp
Old 01-18-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

I think it would look better with a 2/3 drop. I think in time, especially on a trip, you are going to hate that flowmaster, but I will leave that for you to decide.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cttandy
I think it would look better with a 2/3 drop. I think in time, especially on a trip, you are going to hate that flowmaster, but I will leave that for you to decide.

LOL! Already thinking the DRONEMASTER is a real PAIN in the EARS! HA!

I am now wondering if a straight-thru glass-pack just BEFORE the Flowmaster would help take some "resonance/drone" out of the exhaust note...

Anybody have any thoughts?

(I never wanted NOISE so much as FLOW... I think I got MORE noise than FLOW from this mod so far! DOH!)

Live and learn... it's on there now, so we'll see what comes of it in the coming miles... I drive up to Canada and back this week... over 1,000 mile trip, so we'll see! (Sounds FINE at 70mph and OVER if light on the throttle... but at JUST UNDER 70... and anytime ON the throttle at LOWER RPM's, this thing REALLY rumbles and drones!)

-crisp
Old 01-18-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome over!

I'm planning on throwing my efans on pretty soon too.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Blown 427 LSX

Welcome to the site... and let me be the first to give warning to your quest to "spice up" your truck with the addition of performance mods... this is not a 3k lbs supra, this is a 5klbs+ truck... there are numerous "weak" OEM parts that will give out, at the least opportune time i might add.
The transmissions in most GM trucks, your model as well is a 4l60 model, and with any decent amount of HP increase you are at risk for poping it, and they are not cheap...

The tune will waken your beast, but only enough to get you wanting more... hell, I started out with just a tune, and we all know where that led lol. Unless you are willing to spend the time and money to do all of the supporting mods, dont chase horsepower...

IMHO i suggest -

BBP Tune
CAI - which you have
Exhaust - I rec magnaflow
Wheels/tires
Rear level kit

however, if you are inclined for the HP mods, throw a TVS 1900 supercharger on it, leave the boost stock and call it a day.

Have fun, its about the process, not the end result!
Old 01-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by usabodyguard
Welcome to the site... and let me be the first to give warning to your quest to "spice up" your truck with the addition of performance mods... this is not a 3k lbs supra, this is a 5klbs+ truck... there are numerous "weak" OEM parts that will give out, at the least opportune time i might add.
The transmissions in most GM trucks, your model as well is a 4l60 model, and with any decent amount of HP increase you are at risk for poping it, and they are not cheap...

The tune will waken your beast, but only enough to get you wanting more... hell, I started out with just a tune, and we all know where that led lol. Unless you are willing to spend the time and money to do all of the supporting mods, dont chase horsepower...

IMHO i suggest -

BBP Tune
CAI - which you have
Exhaust - I rec magnaflow
Wheels/tires
Rear level kit

however, if you are inclined for the HP mods, throw a TVS 1900 supercharger on it, leave the boost stock and call it a day.

Have fun, its about the process, not the end result!
GREAT POST! Thank you very much for your considerate input! I am noticing that this thing IS a BIT HEAVIER than my Supra! DOH!

Seriously, this type of very specific advice is what I need to move forward "intelligently" with this vehicle. It isn't intended as a "hot rod", but then again... I DO suffer the affliction of ALWAYS WANTING MORE! (Keep hoping the Supra and bikes will SATE that need for speed! HA!)

For now, I'll heed your recommendations and keep the truck mods to the list above (may do some more research on "leveling" -vs- "other" suspension, etc...) but try not to "POP" the tranny with my over-exuberance for a little more OOMPH!

(Heaven KNOWS I have a VERY GOOD understanding of how critical the balance between supporting mods and BIG POWER mods is on a MKIII SUPRA!)

Thanks again for dropping in my intro thread!:nunchuk1:

EDIT: PS! LONG LIVE THE PROCESS!!!

-crisp
Old 01-18-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by crisp
LOL! Already thinking the DRONEMASTER is a real PAIN in the EARS! HA!

I am now wondering if a straight-thru glass-pack just BEFORE the Flowmaster would help take some "resonance/drone" out of the exhaust note...

Anybody have any thoughts?

(I never wanted NOISE so much as FLOW... I think I got MORE noise than FLOW from this mod so far! DOH!)

Live and learn... it's on there now, so we'll see what comes of it in the coming miles... I drive up to Canada and back this week... over 1,000 mile trip, so we'll see! (Sounds FINE at 70mph and OVER if light on the throttle... but at JUST UNDER 70... and anytime ON the throttle at LOWER RPM's, this thing REALLY rumbles and drones!)

-crisp
The best thing I have found that is straight forward and kills nearly all drone is something many on the site make fun of me for. After trying cheap to expensive mufflers, I tried a Cherry Bomb brand Vortex series muffler. It has a pretty straight-thru design, but is packed around the outside with fiberglass packing. It all but completely killed all the drone on the problem vehicles I have tried it on. My pickup has a Cherry Bomb extreme. The extreme is similiar to a flowmaster in design, but it flows better, it's louder outside, quieter inside, and it is fully power coated and doesn't seem to rust. Flowmaster's are horrible about rust.

Something I have recently learned, VHT makes ceramic paint for exhaust, all my exhaust systems are getting painted regardless of what they are made out of. My trucks exhaust still looks new even after a year. A year in my truck, usually looks pretty bad.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cttandy
The best thing I have found that is straight forward and kills nearly all drone is something many on the site make fun of me for. After trying cheap to expensive mufflers, I tried a Cherry Bomb brand Vortex series muffler. It has a pretty straight-thru design, but is packed around the outside with fiberglass packing. It all but completely killed all the drone on the problem vehicles I have tried it on. My pickup has a Cherry Bomb extreme. The extreme is similiar to a flowmaster in design, but it flows better, it's louder outside, quieter inside, and it is fully power coated and doesn't seem to rust. Flowmaster's are horrible about rust.

Something I have recently learned, VHT makes ceramic paint for exhaust, all my exhaust systems are getting painted regardless of what they are made out of. My trucks exhaust still looks new even after a year. A year in my truck, usually looks pretty bad.
Thanks for the tips! At the moment, although loud... in my "new found" enthusiasm for the truck and V-8 power (over import "screamers"!) I am kinda enjoying the "rumble"... but I KNOW I don't really WANT all that racket going down the road! Same with tires! This thing has Goodyear Wrangler's (which I don't care for) and hope to put better (a bit larger and "quieter") tires on down the road. I HATE to hear a truck "resonate" from a mile away due to ROAD NOISE! (Couldn't imagine being IN one like that... then again, I mostly highway drive with my vehicles... so purpose-made all-terrain could certainly take a precedence over "comfort" if I were in that camp.)

-crisp

Quick Reply: crisp I am...