NITROUS OXIDE System Designs | Installation| Wet/Dry/Direct Port

effects of lsa and dcr on small to mild shot?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 02:05 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default effects of lsa and dcr on small to mild shot?

I am looking into a new cam with a 110lsa, with a duration split and around a 7.75 dcr. just wondering how a 110 will react to a 100-150 shot down the road. also mite mill the stock heads a bit and try to get scr around 10.25:1 and dcr around 8.5:1. I want to stay nitrous friendly with a little more N/A. wife put a stop on the 6.0 build, so I am trying to use the parts that I have already got laying around, nitrous, rod bolts, and some things I can send back for credit.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:22 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your power will peak faster in the RPM range.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Veteran

I would be quite concerned with a 10.25:1 compression ratio and a 150 shot on the stock bottom end. At the very least I would run 93 octane and at least tr-6 plugs are maybe even two heat ranges colder than stock. I don't see the stock bottom end holding up long to those conditions though, but heck with the right tuning people are doing some crazy things with our engines.

EDIT-If it helps though we have almost the exact same setup and I am spraying a 150 shot with 125k miles on the engine.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:40 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by RandomHero
I would be quite concerned with a 10.25:1 compression ratio and a 150 shot on the stock bottom end. At the very least I would run 93 octane and at least tr-6 plugs are maybe even two heat ranges colder than stock. I don't see the stock bottom end holding up long to those conditions though, but heck with the right tuning people are doing some crazy things with our engines.

EDIT-If it helps though we have almost the exact same setup and I am spraying a 150 shot with 125k miles on the engine.
what cam do you have in your 5.3 now? I am just trying to find more out of the ol 5.3. the wife putting the stop on my motor build really pissed me off, so I am copeing with it by squeezing more out of the 5.3 under the radar. I am going to run tr6 plugs and all the nitrous safety stuff. I am planning on putting the kit on and building a wiring harness for it all this weekend. i know the tr224 will "work" ok but I want to max performance between on and off the bottle.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:07 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

im running 11.0:1 with a 150 shot and about to put another stage on. good tune, right plugs, rock on

yeah i know ill be pushing the bottom end pretty hard lol. stock rod bolts and everything
Old 11-02-2009, 06:09 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by fastrt
what cam do you have in your 5.3 now? I am just trying to find more out of the ol 5.3. the wife putting the stop on my motor build really pissed me off, so I am copeing with it by squeezing more out of the 5.3 under the radar. I am going to run tr6 plugs and all the nitrous safety stuff. I am planning on putting the kit on and building a wiring harness for it all this weekend. i know the tr224 will "work" ok but I want to max performance between on and off the bottle.
nitrous works with all cams. it prefers split durations with a bias towards the exhaust though. if you like the 224 cam, just step to a 224/228 or 224/230. 110 lsa is pretty low on that cam with a 5.3 though. i would step it up to atleast a 111 or 112.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by fastrt
I'm running a comp 224/224 on a 112 lsa, pacesetter longtubes, ss3600 converter, efans, intake, full 3" exhaust, cutout, etc.

As far as the nitrous I'm running a nitrous express kit, HSW plate kit, NE purge, bottle heater, fpss, wot switch, window switch, bottle pressure switch. I'm also running tr-6 plugs and I am running a custom operating system in EFI Live so when I flip my nitrous switch it immediately retards 4.5* of timing and progressively retards up to 6* at 6400 rpm when I shift.

No track times, because my truck suffers from a bad vibration at 5-10 mph, but the best time to date with that setup with only an 8.9 at 81mph with a 2.2 60'. With the converter it should be doing solid 1.8s easily which would put my 1/8th mile e.t. around an 8.3. But of course that's in a perfect world.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I am running a custom operating system in EFI Live so when I flip my nitrous switch it immediately retards 4.5* of timing and progressively retards up to 6* at 6400 rpm when I shift.
COS5 right??? If so it must me nice, they stopped making them COS5 for the 1mb PCM...
Old 11-02-2009, 09:11 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
COS5 right??? If so it must me nice, they stopped making them COS5 for the 1mb PCM...
yeah them bastards
wonder if we could switch to a 512mb?
i would rather that so i could be more consistent with my bracket racing with a cable style tb.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bluecajun5.3
yeah them bastards
wonder if we could switch to a 512mb?
i would rather that so i could be more consistent with my bracket racing with a cable style tb.
Actually, i believe you might be able to i stumbled across some settings in EFI live that might make this possible, i am not sure how you would go about wiring in the new TB sensors thou...

check out this screen shot.... I wonder what would happen if you turned off the electronic Throttle setting??/?
Attached Thumbnails effects of lsa and dcr on small to mild shot?-screenshot.jpg  

Quick Reply: effects of lsa and dcr on small to mild shot?