NITROUS OXIDE System Designs | Installation| Wet/Dry/Direct Port

Nitrous or Methanol For Cooling on Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

post on ls1tech man u will get way more responses!
Old 11-20-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone know any Air to Water kits that are proven and good quality?
Old 11-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You talking about a air to water intercooler? They are less effective then an air to air I beleive and I would assume you already have a large enough air to air.

Look in to a co2 kit like this
Design Engineering DEI 080108 - DEI CryO2 Intercooler Sprayer Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com
I havn't seen them used a lot but they seem like they should work awesome for cooling the intake charge. I have seen nitrous spray bars for intercoolers but nitrous is getting more costly every day. I think co2 is much more efective for the money.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

If you put some thought into it, you can make your own air to water kit. It isn't too difficult and they have potential to work better than air to air, as long as you set them up right. I run methanol injection and typically see 30-40° drops in IATs from turn on to lowest temp. I also run the open element IAT sensor, and have been for a year with methanol and have never had a problem.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Custom that is a nice kit and i have contemplated that, im looking into this air to water pretty hard right now.... Its proven to have temperatures down to 60 Degrees with a ice box, i guess my biggest question is the effectiveness of it on the street, i maybe plan on mounting the radiator under the back of the truck underneath bed (Where the spare tire normally goes) and put the ice box in the very back of the bed (Behind fuel cell) also with the pump in it, then run my lines up to the front for the air to water intercooler.... I guess id build a shroud around that radiator and put a small fan on it so i can just turn it on when i need to. How does this sound smoke?
Old 11-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

That sounds like a pretty good idea as long as that shroud scoops up enough air. IIRC your truck doesn't squat on the launch, but better to be safe then sorry and get a shorter heat exchanger to prevent any unwanted ground contact. While you are putting some extra weight back there ...I would do what 2004SSS was thinking about back in the day and put a diverter valve in the coolant lines so when you are at the track you can bypass the heat exchanger and just run straight from the IC to the chilled water. Then just open it back up for street use. That will definitely keep your IATs lower in the 1/4.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by custm2500
you talking about a air to water intercooler? They are less effective then an air to air i beleive and i would assume you already have a large enough air to air.
oh my ******* gawd!!!! Are you serious?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 11-21-2011, 03:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you looking at making your own intercooler or anything like that? If not, get with the guys at precision and see what they recommend. They're stuff is definitely a little on the pricey side, but is a great product. If you're not will to spend that kind of dough, take their recommendation and see if you can find something similar for cheaper elsewhere.

I'd love to have your truck with like a PT2000 cooler and a ice box out back. mmmm <60* inlet temps...yes please!!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 04:39 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

I wouldnt put any sort of heat rejection device under the truck beit hex or rad.

If that CO2 thing is spraying carbon dioxide into the air stream then it is a terrible idea, and I would absolutely not do that. By spraying CO2 you are displacing O2 in the air, which is exactly what you dont want to do! Yea it will probably lower the air temp, but which is the greater effect, slightly lower air temps or displace o2 in the air? The only way I would consider this is if I was spraying nitrous at the same time.

Last edited by Atomic; 11-21-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Atomic Co2 is for spraying on the the intercooler, Phantom those intercooler are hands down bad *** i was looking at them earlier.... Im going back and forth between a few meth nozzles which will give me around 120 octane with 93 in the tank and the added benifit of cooling or air to water which will be costly but i will still need a high octane gas to run high boost!

Quick Reply: Nitrous or Methanol For Cooling on Turbo?