NITROUS OXIDE System Designs | Installation| Wet/Dry/Direct Port

Nitrous spark plug info

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heat range depends on the compression and amount of boost or nitrous you will be running.
If you read the plugs properly,the plugs will tell you what is going on and what the engine wants
The gap is also VERY important!!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheatley
Heat range depends on the compression and amount of boost or nitrous you will be running.
If you read the plugs properly,the plugs will tell you what is going on and what the engine wants
Another VERY true and important statement. The plugs NEVER lie.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Truck Sponsor

Originally Posted by Phantom
Another VERY true and important statement. The plugs NEVER lie.
That's right,I wish more knew how to do this,it would save alot of disaster
Old 11-22-2010, 09:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

If I pull my plugs out and the straps are still there, we're good to go
Old 11-22-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah most definitely. Having the right plug is only part of the equation. Being able to read the plug is very important. Being able to tell where the fuel ring is, where the timing mark is on the strap etc etc...

Probably for most people here the tr6 has worked and will continue to work fine. I plan to run up to a .082 jet(~250)so I want my stuff to be in order, so I did some research. Thats why I made this thread to tell people what I have found out to hopefully help people that may take the same road as myself
most want fine, i want greatness

If I pull my plugs out and the straps are still there, we're good to go
its only a 1/3rd lol gotta fish reading the rest

Originally Posted by Wheatley
thanks wheatley, you been a big help also on understanding alot about nitrous i appreciate you taking the time to answer the questions i have had in the last few days.

once again i left out compression !!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there a plug chart anywhere that show plug conditions when using n2o? also whats a good plug choice to start out with?

Last edited by SLOXCAB; 11-22-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SLOXCAB
is there a plug chart anywhere that show plug conditions when using n2o?
random google search

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_su...qs/faqread.asp
Old 11-22-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice find skeet thanks man. ill checking in on this thread to see what other info people have to give
Old 11-23-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skeet
quik broke these spark plugs down in steps as i progressed with nitrous, he basically told me the samething that the seller or tech for NGK told you, ive learned a few things in the short time about nitrous and my own build, oxygen,fueling and timing ( spark) has alot to do how a truck/car runs on nitrous, thus reading the plugs and doing it thorough ( even cutting the threads off ) to read the ceramic, ( thanks wheately ) <-- guy knows alot about spark plug reading tells the tale about whats going on in the combustion chamber, it can make you or break you. i have also seen ( last weekend ) reducing timing could be just as efficient as advancing timing. though i still have alot to learn about nitrous your fuel of choice also comes into play..

i'll leave the past alone and start looking into the future
Good discussion Skeet!

Like the OP mentioned, there is little discussion on PT.net about plug choices and the like when running N2O. I would encourage everyone to read up on LS1Tech as there is a wealth of information hidden in there. Since our engines are virtually the same as the LS1's alot of the info can be correlated to the trucks. Many of the discussions on other forums are relevant however I feel the information on LS1Tech is more appropriate. Again though you MUST wade through the BS and pick out the good info. Here are a few good links:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...ted-plugs.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...-plug-run.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...-200-shot.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...-my-plugs.html

Do some searching as there are many more. FYI, I run BR7EF and gap a little tight (some say) at .030 for a 100-175 shot. I also tried the 8's and had no issues. My truck by itself (N/A) needs heat range 6. I have been daily driving some 7's for a while now with hardly an issue. When I go to the track I run the 8's.

Another GREAT place to hang out and learn about plug reading with nitrous is yellowbullit dot com. I gained alot of knowledge from that forum.

Last edited by krambo; 11-23-2010 at 09:41 AM. Reason: fixed links
Old 11-24-2010, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

there is a wealth of info on tech. i did a LOT of reading over there before i sprayed mine.
i run a tr6 only because my truck DOESNT like the the br7ef on cold startup... i plan on running the 7's at the track, but the 6's will do for street duty.

Quick Reply: Nitrous spark plug info