NITROUS OXIDE System Designs | Installation| Wet/Dry/Direct Port

Reading Plugs....

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that me or is the ends on 2 of them diff from the rest.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Truck Sponsor

They do not look good.The end of the ground strap is chipped off,to much spark advance will cause that.I would not spray it again until you get that taken care of,because next time pistons may go with it.Now that you have read them,fix the issue IMO or you will be fixing parts on the engine quick
Old 02-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well whats the cause of this??

what do i need to do??
Old 02-06-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by C-10Chance
Well whats the cause of this??

what do i need to do??
find a tuner. ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Truck Sponsor

Well even in the picture I can see pepper specs on the porcelain,that is caused from to much spark advance.I would get it on a wideband as well.
Get you a 10x magnifying glass and look close at the plugs,moroso and many other manufactures make spark plug reading magnifying glasses with a built in light,I love mine and works great!!
Also,to get a good readings from the plugs on nitrous,make a pass and shut the engine off immediately,you dont want to drive around even a couple miles and then read them,this will not give the true results.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

oh ok. well i know i gotta buy at least 3 more plugs.

but its a carbed engine. anyway of getting a wideband on it?
cant tune it. well you can. but i dont know anything about tuning carbs. lol
Old 02-07-2010, 11:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

a wideband may get you in the ballpark...you can stick in an o2 bung in your exhaust whether your carb'd or not...if you're gonna be sprayin this motor all the time with some serious shots reading the plugs is the only true way to tune it...
Old 02-07-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

start by using a standard nos jetting combo. set the Flowing fuel pressure to the fuel solinod at 7.5 pounds. depending on motor set up and heads and blah blah and size of shot make sure you back the timing down a bit. and i always used autolite 24's (sparkplug) on my blue truck with nitrous. there cheap and worked good.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Let me add that if you intend to read plugs as a way of tuning for a nitrous spray you can't wait for 2 weeks after running the nitrous to read them. To accurately read plugs you must pull them directly after the conditions in which you want to tune/analyze. After a pass, immediately kill the engine, and pull the plug. Thats what you see a lot of guys at the end of track doing with the hoods up. If you idle it back to the pits you aren't reading the actual conditions it saw WOT with gas. You are reading its idle and cruise conditions it saw running back to the pits.

From those plugs you have major issues with timing of fueling (probably) that need to be addressed. If the electrodes hadn't been missing and guys telling you those look fine may not have been accurate.

Reading plugs is an old school art. Not something easily conveyed across the internet. I've seen several good articles on it here and there. Might want to try some google searches.

Last edited by KySilverado; 02-07-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

well the motor is stock internal everything, except the cam.

ive got a 100 shot on the motor. ive sprayed it about 4 times before the tranny blew up on me. and thats when i decided to check the plugs.

but idk if i should spray it again because of what the nitrous did to the plugs.
i have the timing turned back some. not sure how much though. should i at least spray it again with 3 new plugs or no??

Quick Reply: Reading Plugs....