PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

01'Sierra procharged build..'Mator'

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01'Sierra procharged build..'Mator'

My build has started to take a interesting turn, I think it's a cool combination. Although it will not be finished probably ever..and I have tried unsuccessfully to sell it on this board but thankfully I have taken pics thus far and decided it is time not only to keep it but to do a build thread. Hope ya'll like it!

It started off with me selling my C5 FRC because of the ******* charge associated with anything I bought for it. I have many cars, and this one, although enjoyable to drive on the highway, I learned how uncontrollable they are in slides and the wheel hop chasing was just enough for me to rid of it. I was ready for a engine with a head and cam but sold everything and went in search of a LS powered 2wd pickup..

my search led me to a truck on Autoshopper.com from NC. Procharged 4.8, lowered, and "clean" had me sold.

With a little help from my friend who has a small plane I had a ride there! Problem is, I freak out on planes. At least big ones.

After we were in the air, I stared really freaking. Holding onto the "oh ****" bars and seat like it would save me in a crash. Wishing I took a bus. I looked terrible.

So, I reached into my pocket and took out a Valium I had bought for the trip. Now, I am not here to condone drugs, but I am not prescribed any meds and this thing made everything ok. I was sitting upright, taking pics of clouds just having a enjoyable trip after this! I mean, the plane could go down, but I would have died with a smile! I thought heaven was in these clouds! lol

When I got there, the truck was super scratched up. Nothing like I had been told the shape it was in. No real dents though, and rust free from it being a southern truck. I pop the hood and it looked like Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder racing worked on it. The intercooler pipping was partial Home Depot and your best blind man engineering. Cutting up the shroud to fit the montroscity of someone's idea of 4" tubing. Sheet metal screws holding it together and lots of zip ties...And to top it off...I took it for a test drive and it blew the dip stick out of it!

But...I bought it. Maybe say no to drugs, but I bought it and drove back halfway home with it and stopped for the night in Virgina to pick up the engine for my Buick (t-type) on the way. Stayed the night and when I awoke actually was curious what I had bnought. I didn't remember much of the excursion. I was kinda disappointed with it. Disappointed that I had a bunch of money from selling the Vette and settled for less then I wanted. I bought it though, time to make the most of it. It made it home, but within a week of having it home..it started to smoke like a freight train. Fed up, I tried to sell it..but now, were gonna make some power with it!!

More to come tomorrow....
Old 06-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Launching!

wow what a trip you have had good luck man!
Old 06-14-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well to the C5 thing, I make 750rwhp and slides make me giggle like your valium description. But to the truck... Is the plan a stock engine swap or nice forged upgrade?
Old 06-14-2011, 02:44 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ebony was nice I like frc's, but I've always loved trucks more.. dave you have a lot more to write about
Old 06-14-2011, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5
Well to the C5 thing, I make 750rwhp and slides make me giggle like your valium description. But to the truck... Is the plan a stock engine swap or nice forged upgrade?
I guess I felt slighted. I have owned many fast cars, and the vette bit me one night and I hit a mail box sideways at 70mph. It was in a slide, and made the mistake of getting out of the gas. You just have to be in it to win it with one. I might get another one some day. Plans for the engine are following soon.

Originally Posted by little03chevy
wow what a trip you have had good luck man!
Thanks brother! I have never posted the travels to get a vehicle, but felt this one was worth mentioning...what a trip!

Originally Posted by mitchellmade
Ebony was nice I like frc's, but I've always loved trucks more.. dave you have a lot more to write about
Sure do Jim..there is alot of space to cover where the truck is now and just starting a build thread..
Old 06-14-2011, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

First order of business was to secure a good engine. Found a 6.0 out of a 2500 series Silverado at the local junk yard. Everyone told me to just stick it in, and drive it with the blower. I am sure it would have been fun, but I am not that guy. The engine was dirty, and most importantly stock! Can't install something with out modifications.

Picked up a 01' LS6 cam from a buddy, and had some left over parts from the vette build like a Katech timing chain, LS7 lifters, and ARP rod bolts so we got moving...

pulled the pan..pulled a couple main caps, and everything looked great! So, pulled the stock bolts out for some ARP's. Installed the LS6 cam, oil pan, timing cover after painting everything black and cleaning and looked ready to go..

But...that is when the real conundrum starts. What to do for a cylinder head?
Old 06-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looking good so far.....Valium...lol
Old 06-14-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on what your looking for lot of guys go with 243s and some with l92s but all depends on ur goals!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

The goal is 550-600whp on a budget. With that in mind, stock converter and trans for the moment. Stock rear.

The conundrum is I am a head porter by trade. And own a machine shop. Altough, we work on imports, still options are wide open at that point. Problem is...we are so busy, I really don't have time to grind a set of heads for myself. So, there is a set of as-cast ported TrickFlows here that got the chamber munched a bit.Thought I could fix those. I have a brand new set from the Vette build. Stock 6.0's and a set of 5.3's from TEA I got back in 01' or so that I have not been able to sell since. The TrickFlow's are a great head, but expensive for this build. And feeling the 5.3's chamber is to small to use with the blower.
So, with time being a concern, I decided to go with the stock 6.0's with a valve job and bowl blend. Something simple, and wouldn't cut into the schedule much.

I opted for a 2.02 intake and 1.570 exhaust. Ferrea 6000 series valves. 45 degree seat on the intake and 50 degree on the exhaust.

So we did a valve job

And blended in the short side, and bowl..

Old 06-14-2011, 08:18 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What???? Come on dave, are you saving the others for later? Are they for sale?

Quick Reply: 01'Sierra procharged build..'Mator'