PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

1963 Scout 80 Resto mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2024, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

New LCAs arrived yesterday.
maybe this coming weekend i can get them on and see how they fit.
then modify them for the lower airbag mount.

They will be red powder coated with everything else once fitted and modified

Last edited by IIGW; 09-12-2024 at 10:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bgbldodge (09-12-2024)
Old 09-15-2024, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Removed the windshield frame and drilled out a bunch of spot welds on the side portion. These spot welds hold the ‘brackets’ which mount the door seals.

Since I wont have door windows, no door seals are needed, so off came the brackets.

Then I cut the window frame into 4 pieces and decided that a 4-inch chop was going to be the best for what I'm building.

Some measuring, a few templates to make sure left and right match, and voila’

It’s welded back together, and next is rounding the corners of the windshield frame.

The following users liked this post:
wretched73 (09-15-2024)
Old 09-16-2024, 08:44 PM
Launching!

So today I was working on my 4 link tabs, and a buddy came over.

So shootin the sh*t we started talking about the windshield, and a few hours later, the metal work is nearly done.

Some sanding, some bondo and primer and itll be ready for paint.

Then ill drop the frame off at the window guy and let the take it from there.

I want to paint it body color before dropping it off for the window to be made and glued in. This way I will know it is got epoxy, primer, paint and plenty of rust and corrosion resistance before the flush mount glass is mounted.

I'm not sure if the ‘red triangle’ needs to be made or not. Currently it is a not so 90 degree corner. I'm guessing the black around the glass will hide the corner. But, it’s something I got to figure out.

Hope you all like the chop, and the rounded window ‘corner’s

Old 09-20-2024, 09:21 PM
Launching!

So as some of you might remember from my rendering, the door lines aren’t ‘scout’ lines. The scout doors have that inward angled portion on the back.

One of the modifications I wanted to do was suicide doors, and I don’t like how the rear B pillar is on the scout bodies.

Not anytime soon, but my plan is to use my old truck, ‘Alice’ door jambs and flip them side to side and shorten to fit. Peel off the door skins from the scout and modify them to attach to the 2001 doors frame.

This way, itll have inner hinges that are factory reversed for a reverse or suicide opening, just like it came from the factory.

I put the ‘drivers/left side’ door jamb next to the passenger side of Allison to see how much work it will take. I think I need to narrow the door jamb about 4 maybe 5 inches to fit, but, it appears to be a relatively easy modification. I think in a weekend or so I could have the ‘new’ doors hung and functioning. Not fully completed, nor body worked, but able to be opened and closed.

No I won’t be putting the angled lower portion of the door as the scout had, it will be a normal ‘square’ door with rounded lower corners.

Here is a picture for reference.