PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

1988 Blazer 5.3 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Butcherboy
Got my 20 Circuit Rebel Wire harness today. Its a Stand alone EFI ready hook up harness. Im not playing around with the stock wiring at all.

Attachment 50591

Justin

what is this for?

I'm going to be dealing with all this wiring crap come summer. the wife wants a pontiac ventura (nova with a pontiac sticker) as a daily, so i'm going to toss a 5.3 in there. any link that helped you on making the stand alone harness? I love my current harness but I dont have another 850 to spend on it.

your stand alone harness looks top notch!
Old 01-07-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 95/02ss
Thanks Justin! Yeah it does help. How do you like the quailty of those headers. the swap headers I have used form them seemed cheap the flanges were thin and the shorties hit the floor pan where the firewall meet the toe boards. Hopefully the long tubes will work better.
only the shorties will work with awd, production long tubes will not fit around the transfer case and front drive shaft. sanderson makes 1 5/8ths shorties now, or you can make your own. i'll be making my own for my next build. if you can weld thin pipe its not that hard, just time consuming.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lsx10
what is this for?

I'm going to be dealing with all this wiring crap come summer. the wife wants a pontiac ventura (nova with a pontiac sticker) as a daily, so i'm going to toss a 5.3 in there. any link that helped you on making the stand alone harness? I love my current harness but I dont have another 850 to spend on it.

your stand alone harness looks top notch!
Thanks Dude! Alot of searching and cussing went into this harness! But I'm happy with the out come.

Here is the Links I found:http://lt1swap.com/index.htm

This is good start, the guy has all the pin outs and stand alone wire diagrams on his site. Read very closely and be through on your moves! Get a high lighter and mark the pin outs as they are highlighted on the page. Get yourself a good amp meter, label tags, good solder iron.

You also have your Current Harness on Ms. Mia to use as a guide too!

Take your time, Take your time!! I cant stress this enough!
Get your ducks in a row, and it should go good!

If you have any questions or need pictures I'll be glad to help!

I had a hell of a time getting the 5.3 longer harness to work with the LS6 intake. After putting on the engine about 3 time's to get the length right!

The stock wiring on my 88' is dog ****! I hate old wiring and chasing someone else screw ups. That why I bought this Chassis harness! Little more money on the project, but this way I wont have to search for things!!

Thanks for the props! Hit me up when you start the Pontiac! I had a 71' Poncho same body style w/ 69' GTO 400 in the beast! Old high school car, wish I still had the old X-body!

Taker easy LSX!

Justin
Old 01-28-2010, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Lsx10,I can weld thin pipe, I build custom exhausts from mandrel bends on every thing form cummins powered trucks to custom bikes so its no bother there. I was just thinking if there was a way to get a round building a custom set of headers, it would save me time. Sanderson makes good quality products. I have used there headers and cast manifolds in the past. Thanks for the heads up. I never saw any header being advertised for the AWD swap so I wasnt sure.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

That's a problem. I haven't found anything in my search either. Hedman Hedders has a LS1 swap kit with 4x4 mid-length headers and mounts. Kinda pricey but I think If a guy would buy the headers only it would save you alot! Get the 2.8 stock mounts and Trans Adapt style LS engine mounts and mod the trans cross member if needed. Call Hedman Directly, I think LSX10 deal with them when the headers were coming out. Don't quote me, but I think he had few pairs he tried before he found the right ones. Notching the frame to clear the down tube might be needed.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Regular

any progress?
Old 02-01-2010, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Nothing besides getting the dash out, and yanking the old wiring out. Started to route the new harness. But It's dam cold now in central Kansas! Didn't get over 23* yesterday.
Wish my shop had heat! But with hope I can have the wiring done in the next week, and get my computer back from the tuner. Fuel system and drive line is next!

I need to find a parts blazer. Something with a clean interior and newer front clip, like a '93. With that I should have everything I need. I did nothing but collect parts this winter, now I just have to put them into use!

Hows your Dime? Get'r tuned?

Justin
Old 02-01-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Butcherboy, what radiator are you using? I had an AFCO, but it was going to be a bitch to chop up the core support and make everything fit with it. Nice radiator, but too much work when I could find something that fit better.

I've got a '85 S10 Ext. Cab I'm working on right now. It's a 5.3/4L60E swap. I've got vette accessories and intake so clearance is good everywhere.

How do you like that Rebel harness? Does that take care of your blinkers at all? I was about to tackle fixing the stock harness then I just realized it would be better to just buy/make a harness. I'm probably going to buy that relay box for the engine bay that you have. It looks nice, simple, and straightforward. Let me know about the Rebel harness. I wanna get this thing running by summer.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

BE-COOL Unit. Qualifier universal. Have to check the size and model number, Forgot! I'm sure the Rebel kit handles the Blinkers and flashers. I hope it dose! I will let you know how the harness goes, plenty of pictures for ya when I have time to post them. You will really like the Relay box from Current!

Justin
Old 02-01-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet, does the radiator fit well in the core support? I'm going to end up replacing the core support piece completely since mine got bent up from a little fender bender apparently. It looks easy to swap out and install, plus I can justify removing it when installing the motor and working on the accessories lol

Quick Reply: 1988 Blazer 5.3 Swap