PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

1999 OBS Tahoe LS Swap Turbo Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 OBS Tahoe LS Swap Turbo Install

Hey everyone, Im hoping to get some good advice on my turbo build. I'm looking at Trick Performance's Stage 3 Kit. They just released this kit for the OBS trucks a few weeks ago.

A little history on my application:
LS swap into my 1999 2 door 2WD Tahoe in 2015. Engine (6.0) and Trans (6l90 - Auto) out of a 2013 Silverado HD.
Engine Mods.: Comp cam part #189-401-13 (VVT cam) (@.50 - Int. (214) Exh. (228) - 0.559 int./0.571 exh.), 918 duel springs, Stock retangular ports heads (ported & polished)

Truck runs really good and sounds awesome, I’m very pleased with my swap. Ive put on about 1600 miles after swap and would like to do the turbo install.

Im new to turbos and do not know much about them or how to choose the correct size. I just want to choose the correct turbo size for my application and make sure I don’t go to big or to small. These OBS Tahoe’s are heavy around 6,000 lbs. Id like to be somewhere in the 600-650 HP range. Their stage 3 kit shows to be good for up to 700 HP.

Can I keep my Comp Cam or do I need a different cam for turbo use? Im hoping to keep the cam that I currently have it sounds really good and Ive been pleased with the over all power.

Does anyone have any negative feed back on Tricks house turbos or should I do the precision turbo upgrade?

I’m waiting to purchase the turbo kit until my tuner can look and my application to see if he can tune it after the turbo install. I have the E78 ecu ( I guess they get really complicated) Once he gives me his go ahead Ill place the order.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 563 Likes on 485 Posts

Their turbo's are just fine, a 70-76mm turbo will do what you want.

That cam will work but of course it's likely not ideal but I wouldn't change it. It'll still make good power.

You'll need some 80lb injectors to be safe at that horsepower range aswell. Then all the other little stuff like a boost gauge, wideband, new fuel pump and that kind of jazz.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Thanks, I knew I was going to have to upgrade the fuel system I was just unsure on the size of injectors. I appreciate the info.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

If you like the way the cam sounds and drives now, then leave it in there and boost it. Turbo is only going to help the motor/setup you have no mater what cam is in it. Cams, until you start making big power don't really have much affect on peak power until you start trying to max out your setup. With a 6-700 hp goal, a cam is not super critical and really only make a difference in NA power and you have plenty of head room with turbo boost to turn up or down the power with the amount of boost you run.

IMO, people make WAYYYY to big of deal out of what cam to run with a turbo...

Last edited by kbracing96; 03-27-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:04 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm curious, what kind of mpg do you get with that swap? I have a 97 Tahoe. With the factory engine I get 15mpg or so.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:53 PM
Teching In

I'm getting the same 14-16 mpg (in city and some highway). Im sure it would get 18-20 on the highway if I could keep my foot out of it. The 6 speed trans has my RPM's around 2200 at 70MPH. I also swapped the 3.42 gears to 3.73's. I've not driven much on the highway, only to the tuner a couple of times. I've been really happy with the swap and would be happy to answer any questions you have or at least share my experiences.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Thanks kbracing96, I'm not wanting to build a race truck. I just want to go out and have a little fun.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:04 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice!

One thing that surprised me is that my 2 door Tahoe is about the same dimensions as a 2000+ Tahoe. I would have called bullshit on the entire thing, but a newer Tahoe happened to park next to me one day, and sure enough, they're similar in length.

I would have thought the 2 door would be shorter.

I recently swapped an LQ4 into my 2000 Silverado. I was considering swapping my factory 5.3 into my Tahoe, but I don't think it'll be worth it to me in the end. Adapting the engine is easy enough, but figuring out the AC, and ECU might be a pain in the ***. The Tahoe runs great and 15mpg is okay for what it is but as soon as I get my Silverado dialed in, I'll probably sell my Tahoe and daily drive the Silverado. Except, I'm imagining the Silverado might get worse mpg. LOL. If I can keep it at 15mpg, I'd be okay with that.

It's that or get a Honda or something.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by iregret
Nice!

One thing that surprised me is that my 2 door Tahoe is about the same dimensions as a 2000+ Tahoe. I would have called bullshit on the entire thing, but a newer Tahoe happened to park next to me one day, and sure enough, they're similar in length.

I would have thought the 2 door would be shorter.

I recently swapped an LQ4 into my 2000 Silverado. I was considering swapping my factory 5.3 into my Tahoe, but I don't think it'll be worth it to me in the end. Adapting the engine is easy enough, but figuring out the AC, and ECU might be a pain in the ***. The Tahoe runs great and 15mpg is okay for what it is but as soon as I get my Silverado dialed in, I'll probably sell my Tahoe and daily drive the Silverado. Except, I'm imagining the Silverado might get worse mpg. LOL. If I can keep it at 15mpg, I'd be okay with that.

It's that or get a Honda or something.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures.
Once I figure out how to add pics I will, new to the site. As far as the A/C goes it was pretty simple I just used an aftermarket bracket to relocate the AC to the top of the motor. and had to use an aftermarket compressor. The ECU came from my donor vehicle that engine and trans came from, I had to out source the wiring harness, I did not want to deal with that. it was well worth the $350.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Here are some pics that I took a while back:

After Swap (4/6 drop) with C6 Corvette wheels

Before Swap & Lowering

After Exhaust Installation

Last edited by LSXTAHOE; 03-27-2016 at 09:23 PM.

Quick Reply: 1999 OBS Tahoe LS Swap Turbo Install