PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2000 Chevy Silverado project "Charlie Murphy"

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been thinking about this today and you're totally right. I'm used to my solid axle 4Runner, there's a lot of flex there. In a IFS setup all the flex is in the CV joints. I don't really see how this driveline will see any movement at all. Twisting action from the drivetrain?

I was in a hurry when I snapped the pic. I'll inspect it closer on Thanksgiving and see just how much room there is. I may as well replace the u-joint while I have it out.

Thanks man.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is going to be ~some~ bending moment exerted at the tranny mount because its on a rubber block but if it is in decent shape I think you'll be just fine. It's gotta move alot before it will be a problem, at least IMO.

The only thing I CAN warn you about is, be prepared, if it does decide to chuck a front shaft it will NOT be cheap.. A couple of guys managed to puke a shaft on their SyTy's (not an upgraded shaft, the stocker), and when it let go it beat the every living (%*&$#*)! out of the trans linkage & shifter bracketry but that could have been because they were upping the HP and not the drivetrain to handle it.

Todd

Originally Posted by iregret
I've been thinking about this today and you're totally right. I'm used to my solid axle 4Runner, there's a lot of flex there. In a IFS setup all the flex is in the CV joints. I don't really see how this driveline will see any movement at all. Twisting action from the drivetrain?

I was in a hurry when I snapped the pic. I'll inspect it closer on Thanksgiving and see just how much room there is. I may as well replace the u-joint while I have it out.

Thanks man.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a pic of me drinking a beer while my buddy weld up my crossmember. LOL.

What do you guys think?
That's some good BEER!
Old 11-22-2012, 07:49 AM
Charlie Murphy!

Originally Posted by Tydriver
There is going to be ~some~ bending moment exerted at the tranny mount because its on a rubber block but if it is in decent shape I think you'll be just fine. It's gotta move alot before it will be a problem, at least IMO.

The only thing I CAN warn you about is, be prepared, if it does decide to chuck a front shaft it will NOT be cheap.. A couple of guys managed to puke a shaft on their SyTy's (not an upgraded shaft, the stocker), and when it let go it beat the every living (%*&$#*)! out of the trans linkage & shifter bracketry but that could have been because they were upping the HP and not the drivetrain to handle it.

Todd
Hmm, maybe I should design a driveshaft loop of some kind or have a stronger driveshaft made.

Originally Posted by SCREAMINXL
That's some good BEER!
LOL. I agree.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hmm, maybe I should design a driveshaft loop of some kind or have a stronger driveshaft made.
Depends, I don't remember what your budget is, or even if you stated what your HP Goal is.

For stock levels I'd guess the stock stuff is OK, just keep the U-joints lubed/fresh. You'll be inducing more wear on them now since you're going AWD.
When it was running on the Part-Time case, the front didn't see any power or wear 90% of the time, that's gonna change when you go AWD.

If you're bumping up the HP/Tq then you may want to give this a little more consideration, I'd justify it as insurance against future damage. I just know the stock front shaft didn't hold up long in the SyTy's when they started bumping performance. FWIW, I am planning to start a very similar build to what you are doing, I am not gonna mess around with a drive shaft loop on the front, I'm gonna plan on quality parts to avoid an issue. I wont run the stock front shaft for long on my project.. Definitely NOT when I start to make more HP.

Just my $.02
Old 11-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Charlie Murphy!

I'm aiming for about 700 horsepower at the engine. I wonder what the strength difference between my Silverado and a Ty/Sy?
Old 11-22-2012, 05:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm sure the stocker is stronger than the SyTy shaft, but the question is.. How much do you want to risk? 2 of the trucks that puked the stock drive shaft were at elevated HP, and one when it let go caused in excess of $1000 because it flopped around in that confined area and beat up the transmission, shift linkage etc.

I personally pretzeled on of the stock shafts on my Typhoon and I was mostly stock Hp, twisted the flanges about an 1/8th turn... I'd check with other guys on here that are running high hp and see of they've had any issues on the driveshafts. Or just spend the $250-350 and get a custom shaft.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:20 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Stock front shaft will be just fine.

Not sure if you'll actually get away with using that particular shaft though, as it is shorter than the one that should really be in there. You now have less splines in the transfer case input gear than you should have.

Find yourself a front shaft at a wrecking yard, out of a 6.0/80e/4x4 truck. Up here they go for $150, so probably half that price where you live.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Charlie Murphy!

^^ That's what I thought too, but I PM'ed Black04 and he's using his stock driveshaft. I'm going to check it out tonight, but I remember the front shaft feeling like it was to long, not to short. When I get off if work and make it to my mother's house for thanksgiving, I'll go check it out.

Thanks fellas.

Last edited by iregret; 11-22-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i really like this build. very simple yet well thought out! and good beer choice sir

Quick Reply: 2000 Chevy Silverado project "Charlie Murphy"