PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2000 Chevy Silverado project "Charlie Murphy"

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 05:26 AM
Charlie Murphy!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bomba02
Trucks coming along nice man, looks good. Curious about the ride on the coil over setup? Considering doing the swap to my DD. As someone mentioned before look into derlin for solid bushing material it's good stuff. Just wondering when you tightened the top bushing down did you crank it tight like that or is that the truck compressing it? Just wondering thanks man.
Billy
It's the weight of the truck. I could take a picture of the bushing that's on top and show you how it's not compressed. Polyurethane just can't take the abuse. Or, I should say, can barely take the abuse.

Originally Posted by PaulyC
they compress like that just from the weight. go with ridetech coilovers. they come with delrin instead of rubber and the shocks are actually made by fox. way better quality than qa1s.
Comments like this always make me laugh. It's sure easy to dispense advice after the fact. I'll just throw away all my gear and buy new stuff. LOL. This wouldn't be an issue if I used the Procomp adapter instead of the stud adapter.

I just ordered some acetal homopolymer to play with. I couldn't find some in bushing form so I ordered a 1 1/4 x 12" roll. I'll cut my own bushings.

I started building my license plate bracket. It's way overkill. 3/16" thick steel. LOL.

Consequently, my 110 welder can't penetrate it very well. So I did my best to tack it into place. Tomorrow I'll stop by my buddies place and use his 220.

I cut a piece of 2" x 3/16" flat stock into three pieces and welded them together.

Name:  3FBA2EC3-039A-41D0-A782-DC097F95FFCE_zpsszxygvbh.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  127.0 KB

I welded the 2" receiver hitch tubing to the H bracket I made.

Name:  57CC9112-BA04-403F-9D52-3294F4D4C74D_zpsviiscfy5.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  97.5 KB

Like this:

Name:  220B43B8-13AF-44C2-8B3D-7C0C6A02FC5D_zpssxqew8tv.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  83.1 KB

I'm actually going to trim the 7 prong plug lid a bit and also part of the bracket. That way the license plate will sit back in there farther.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by iregret
Comments like this always make me laugh. It's sure easy to dispense advice after the fact. I'll just throw away all my gear and buy new stuff. LOL. This wouldn't be an issue if I used the Procomp adapter instead of the stud adapter.
I believe his comments were directed towards other people going forward, like me for example. I am eagerly awaiting 2 things, #1 is the weather to shape up, and #2 is how you solve this dilemma. I have ATOMIC's front end parts for the swap and I am wanting to put this mod on my truck very soon. However, if you DO decide to chuck all your stuff I'll send you my address to send the old parts to ;-)

I just ordered some acetal homopolymer to play with. I couldn't find some in bushing form so I ordered a 1 1/4 x 12" roll. I'll cut my own bushings.
This looks like it may address the issue above, please keep up posted I'd love to hear how you resolve it.

I started building my license plate bracket. It's way overkill. 3/16" thick steel. LOL.

Consequently, my 110 welder can't penetrate it very well. So I did my best to tack it into place. Tomorrow I'll stop by my buddies place and use his 220.

I cut a piece of 2" x 3/16" flat stock into three pieces and welded them together.

I welded the 2" receiver hitch tubing to the H bracket I made.

I'm actually going to trim the 7 prong plug lid a bit and also part of the bracket. That way the license plate will sit back in there farther.
All of this looks trick, I can't wait to see the end results, it's hard to tell from this picture but perhaps maybe you can trim the roll pan and flush mount the trailer connector from the backside so the only thing that protrudes is the cover and the screws ??? I dunno if that'd work or not.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tydriver
I believe his comments were directed towards other people going forward, like me for example. I am eagerly awaiting 2 things, #1 is the weather to shape up, and #2 is how you solve this dilemma. I have ATOMIC's front end parts for the swap and I am wanting to put this mod on my truck very soon. However, if you DO decide to chuck all your stuff I'll send you my address to send the old parts to ;-)
this is correct. there were other people in the thread asking if there was a way around this. my first comment stated that if you had not already purchased coilovers to go the ridetech approach. its not my fault that you didnt read all the way through, as i didnt refer to your situation at all.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:04 AM
Charlie Murphy!

Originally Posted by Tydriver

This looks like it may address the issue above, please keep up posted I'd love to hear how you resolve it.

All of this looks trick, I can't wait to see the end results, it's hard to tell from this picture but perhaps maybe you can trim the roll pan and flush mount the trailer connector from the backside so the only thing that protrudes is the cover and the screws ??? I dunno if that'd work or not.
At this point I can't recommend the stud mount. I've really thought a lot about this over the last few days. Polyurethane shouldn't really fail like that. Especially with such low miles on them. It makes me wonder if I got a bad batch (Seems unlikely) or, if they made the shock mounts weaker than they would make a body mount. I've seen hockey puck style lift kits for Jeep's that seemed to last just fine. It's really puzzling.

I think a possible solution would be to capture the polyurethane bushing with steel. I may look into this.

After considering it, I don't think Delrin is a good solution. Essentially, when I went with a stud mount design, the bushings are allowing for some movement with suspension travel. With the Procomp adapter and the hiem like bushing mounted in the upper eyelet, it allows for minor movement with the suspension.

Delrin will not allow this. It's too hard and once crushed or conformed, will not bounce back.

Perhaps a solution is to use a derlin spacer below with a polyurhethane bushing above. That may still allow for some movement of the stud mount.

Long story short, I recommend going with the Procomp adapter.

I worked a bit on my overkill license plate mount today.

I cut the lid down. I couldn't completely remove it because it has a hook built into it that holds the trailer plug, or 4 prong adapter into the socket.

Name:  4349C312-02D5-4B09-B51B-013B3ABE1123_zpsuqv01efu.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  61.6 KB

I couldn't mount it from behind like you suggested because it would hit the hidden hitch.

Name:  9CB35FE9-5C61-4974-A5FF-D0BCD26533FA_zpsykdsoh4l.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  67.0 KB

I took apart my factory harness and soldered in my led tail light.

Name:  2A934E32-EBD7-45EB-BBBB-3634CC6496BF_zpsq6m7nifh.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  69.4 KB

I made sure it worked, and put the wires in the loom.

Name:  E240C813-BB11-4FD7-92CB-D63A6E65A5DE_zpscm206uoz.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  51.7 KB

I went over to my buddies house and welded everything solid with his 220 welder. Also, I notched the bracket so it could sit back farther.

Name:  E2588366-3949-4A0F-93C4-B32F911F216C_zps6snrszms.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  63.4 KB

I test fitted everything. Looks like it'll work!

Name:  DF59CC26-6DFA-4246-9B18-BA855F6E0C62_zpsmu9bbwkj.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  55.9 KB

What I didn't get pictures of was the stronger welds, painting the bracket black, and drilling the 1/2 inch hole for the pin that holds the whole thing in place.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:59 AM
Teching In

I see. Thanks for the info. Have you checked the poly bushing out? It might be fine, it might just sit like that due to the weight. The way you have it with the washers I wouldn't see it falling apart but then again. Other then the stud top mount issues how do you like the feel and ride with coilover set up. Btw hidden hitch is license plate is looking good. Thanks Billy.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:00 AM
Charlie Murphy!

Originally Posted by Bomba02
I see. Thanks for the info. Have you checked the poly bushing out? It might be fine, it might just sit like that due to the weight. The way you have it with the washers I wouldn't see it falling apart but then again. Other then the stud top mount issues how do you like the feel and ride with coilover set up. Btw hidden hitch is license plate is looking good. Thanks Billy.
I have not taken it apart yet. I will on my next weekend though. I've come to the conclusion that not all polyurethane is created equal. I have to think that a manufacture would make a shock stud mount softer than a body mount.

I'm going to play with a few different materials. I am very hesitant to put in a solid busing though. There has to be some flexibility there. A captured poly bushing could be a possible solution.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Staging Lane

are you planning on swapping from a stud to an eye mount? i called ridetech and they said it can be done but you have to have a way of securely holding the shock shaft without scratching it and even soft jaws on a vice have been scratching them.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the milk has gone bad.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Originally Posted by PaulyC
are you planning on swapping from a stud to an eye mount? i called ridetech and they said it can be done but you have to have a way of securely holding the shock shaft without scratching it and even soft jaws on a vice have been scratching them.
No. I know you keep pushing ridetech, but I'm not unhappy with the QA1's in any way.

My QA1's came with upper eyelets. I swapped to the stud mount.

Here's the adapter:

Name:  7D65B010-1210-4F42-B4DA-949D7CC4BABB-5307-0000046832ADD017_zpsf1d088af.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  65.8 KB

The removal of the eyelet.

Name:  0440BF2E-CB16-4F06-9A63-AD5026E6AA6B-280-00000015906FF9D1_zpse0db4217.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  68.9 KB

I'm not going with the Procomp adapter because it would add a 1.5" to the ride height. I don't have the room to adjust the Coilovers to make up for the adapter. I ordered a longer coilover and spring to take advantage the stud mount.

I've been researching different compounds that may work for me. I seriously discourage the use of Delrin. That's what's been suggested, but it has zero flexibility. That is not what we need here.

Essentially, the bushings are allowing for upper coilover to pivot with suspension travel. With the Procomp adapter and hiem insert, there's a pivot point. If I replaced the stud mount bushings with something solid, it would eliminate movement and stress the stud adapter.

Through my searching I discovered that polyurethane varies wildly in hardness. I also found a pretty cool resource.

BODYMOUNT BUSHING PAGE

It doesn't really say each bushing's harness rating. Energy suspension won't give out that data. Hell, they won't even give out measurements.

I've researched it pretty hard and found this on eBay:

Name:  A00E791F-8963-4DF1-BE2F-8CCAD4566BF6_zpsaeu89ifa.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  43.3 KB

http://bit.ly/1fNZL1k

This sample has a hardness of 95A. That should be in the range of an aftermarket polyurethane body mount bushing. I've already ordered the Delrin, I'll have to find another use for it.

Originally Posted by craigsix
the milk has gone bad.
Nah, I'd give them four thumbs up.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

honestly i didnt even realize i was pushing ridetech as much as i was until i went back and looked at my posts. my bad, i have ridetechs and i think that makes me just naturally assume that everybody went with them. im actually pretty jealous that your setup is such an easy change.

as far as the delrin mount goes i will have to get pics the next time i have a day off. its essentially a ball cut in half allowing the shock to pivot around it. looks like you got some good info there though. good luck with experimenting.

Quick Reply: 2000 Chevy Silverado project "Charlie Murphy"