PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2000 Chevy Silverado project "Charlie Murphy"

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 10:40 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

The only thing that got a bigger tank is the long bed trucks. The surburban tank is different entirely. The extra capacity is added to the end of the tank which does help.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:51 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
The only thing that got a bigger tank is the long bed trucks. The surburban tank is different entirely. The extra capacity is added to the end of the tank which does help.
Thanks Atomic! Do you happen to have any idea which tank is best? I posted in your other thread as well, but here are the fuel tanks I can choose from:

I'm just guessing but it looks like there are 4 different tanks to choose from depending on if you have a crew cab or not, short bed or long bed, or the weird really short bed. Then there's 2 different options depending on if you have evaporations emissions, then the flex fuel variant. Sheesh! Since I'm swapping fuel pumps, I don't know if any of that even matters.

So,
Step 1, find correct fuel tank size.
Step 2, decide if it matters what engine the truck came with.
Step 3, research how to modify an 04 tank to accept a return line.

Are you saying that as long as I get a short bed tank, I should be fine? Also, this should remedy my fuel issues correct? As long as I get a 6'6" box tank I should be okay?

I'm going to try to get some fuel tank measurements before I head to a wrecking yard. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-30-2019, 02:07 PM
Charlie Murphy!

I bought a fuel tank from a 2005 extended cab short bed 4.8L Silverado.

I cleaned up and pressure washed the tank. Here I've highlighted the evap line routing.

I don't know where the left most line is meant to go but in the mean time, I broke out the factory service manual for my truck.

For some reason the 04-06 tanks have a larger 5/8" line that goes to the charcoal canister. Here is the difference between an 99-02 and a 04-06.

While inspecting things I noticed that this piece is broken. If you're wondering, the GM part number is 25853662 and runs about $45 on amazon. Rather than buy a replacement piece though, I think I am just going to fill the hole and drill/tap it for a new line, then cap off the larger 5/8" opening. That would allow me to repair the existing line and run a new 5/16" line to my existing charcoal canister. I would love to know why GM increased the line size though.

With the exception of the wayward line, that should allow me to keep the evap system. I just have to figure out what that left most line went to on the 2005 Silverado.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:19 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Moving on to the fuel bucket. Even though I carefully pressure washed everything, there was still dirt trapped under there.

Larger fuel bucket assembly. I haven't figured out how it all works yet.

The plan I'm formulating involves drilling a hole in the fuel bucket hat for the return fuel line. Here's what I ordered.

From the underside you can see there’s a circular part in the plastic. I’m planning on mounting the bulkhead piece there.

The in-tank fuel pressure regulator looks to be identical to the one that I hollowed out on my fuel rail.

Old 08-30-2019, 02:51 PM
Charlie Murphy!

According to rockauto and amazon, there is a filler neck difference between the tanks. On that note, I think I solved where that left most line goes.

2000 Silverado fleetside bed:

2005 Silverado fleetside bed:

The following users liked this post:
randybill (10-07-2021)
Old 08-30-2019, 07:02 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Went to a different wrecking yard and picked up a few more things.

I had only intended on grabbing the fuel filler but instead I grabbed all this stuff for $20. I don't know if I'll use the charcoal canister but I now have the option. Also, I looked around and it seems like every single wrecking yard cuts the fuel filler neck hose and drops the tank. It must be a safety thing. Unfortunately, this means that I wasn't able to find the rubber hose and had to order one.

I looked online and there doesn't seem to be an aftermarket hose available, so I was forced to purchase a genuine GM hose for $45 shipped. Part number 15113987. Should be here in 5 days along with the fuel return parts I ordered. With that, I think I have everything on the way! I hope this all works out.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for all the detail!

Larry
Old 08-31-2019, 06:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Why are you keeping the evap system?
Old 08-31-2019, 03:02 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Originally Posted by ls6454
Thanks for all the detail!

Larry
I'm a geek; it's what I do.

Originally Posted by Feed
Why are you keeping the evap system?
Why not? I like the environment. If I can keep the evap system, then I will. If not, it's easy to delete. 3 feet of 5/8" hose and a filter mounted to the filler neck and no more evap system.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am trying to keep my evap with my 2002 to 2004 tank upgrade.
I am trying to keep the 2002 evap system.
If it keeps the stink down and cost zero hp.... Worth a try.
Larry

Quick Reply: 2000 Chevy Silverado project "Charlie Murphy"