PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2000 Chevy Silverado project "Charlie Murphy"

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 03:27 AM
Charlie Murphy!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I finally got caught up to where I could get back to working on the truck. I crawled under the truck and noticed that the 14b I swapped in was looking rather rusty. This is pretty unusual for Oregon. It was then that I realized that it's due to the POS wired up muffler from when I did the swap. The over the axle part of the exhaust wouldn't clear with the larger AXN axle. Moral of the story, dump your exhaust outside your vehicle.

I really wasn't looking forward to taking off the roll pan. After a few years, that rattle can job isn't holding up very well. The way the truck was parked it saw sunlight every day. It's too bad because it looked pretty good when I first painted it. I think I'm going to finally weld in the hole on the tailgate and either paint it with an actual paint gun, or have it panted.

I had considered taking the bed off but decided to just use the tilt method. It really is the easiest, even though adding a hidden hitch and roll pan made the job kinda suck.

These blocks are actually bolted together and once I placed them there I realized it kinda defeated the purpose of tilting the bed, so I moved them.

I was thinking that I would have to lift the truck up higher but the tank slid out sideways. Here it is compared to the 05 tank.

Next I had to take care of a few things on the filler neck. The wrecking yard cut all the hoses. I did order a replacement filler hose but I just used a 3/8 pex pipe connector on the vent tube rather than replace it. It'll connect to the evap tubes on the 05 tank. Also, the wrecking yard cut the grounding strap so I had to make a new one. I believe the factory one on the 05 tank is 16 gauge. Well, I don't have any 16 gauge so it'll be 18 gauge now. lol. I measured how long the grounding strap on the 00 tank was and made this newer one the same length.

2000 fuel bucket, exactly how I left it, lol.

I had been told that delrin is fuel proof. Meaning, that it's fine to use in fuel. This is interesting though. It seems to have held up fine but it has expanded a bit.

I decided to take apart the 2000 bucket and modify the 2005 wiring harness to I could connect it to the factory connector. I can't remember exactly if this came with my ractronix kit or what.

The connector says A and B.

2000 fuel bucket connector. I remember that I had upgraded it to the newer style.

Difference in wire sizes between the two.

I put the new larger wires into the old harness. I hope that I have the polarity correct.

I was test fitting the 525 fuel pump and just snapped the two halves together. Shockingly, it fits quite snugly in there. I don't think I have to do anything to secure it.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to put everything back together. I need to research how to fix the fuel level in the tune since the new fuel bucket will read backwards. Hey, at least half tank will always read correct.. right?
Old 09-16-2019, 05:04 AM
Charlie Murphy!

I took the submersible fuel line out of the older fuel bucket and used it for the return line on the newer bucket.

I had to grind on the bucket a tiny bit to clear the Oetiker clamp.

This worked out pretty awesome. The 525 basically just fits in there. Once the two bucket pieces are snapped together, tension just holds it there.

I had wanted to use the Oetiker clamps everywhere but it's impossible on the hat part.

Tada! All done.

Swapped over evap lines from the second wrecking yard trip, along with the replacement fuel fill hose and my fancy new fuel bucket.

Moving on to the evap canister. On the 2000 Silverado, the evap canister is located in front of the gas tank.

Unfortunately I didn't realize that the two different evap canisters were vastly different sizes. I'm not sure why they are since the tanks are very similar in size and shape.

If I were to place the newer larger evap canister in a similar location as where the old one was, it would hang down really low and likely be visible from the side view of the truck. It'd also be the lowest thing on the truck.

I don't think it would be that bad if it was tucked up as high as possible like this.

Part of the problem is the frame bracket is in the wrong location for the newer larger evap canister.

I'm going to drop the bracket down. I need to go get some steel tomorrow.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:27 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Before you get carried away, did you look to see how it was factory mounted on a newer truck...

06 regular cab tank set up

stolen from and more pictures in this thread...
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...6/#post4307931

Last edited by 1FastBrick; 09-16-2019 at 08:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
iregret (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 08:40 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

I will crawl under mine later today and see if I can get a picture of what it mounts to.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Here's where it mounts on a stock 05+ truck
The following users liked this post:
iregret (09-16-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 05:18 AM
Charlie Murphy!

I ended up lowering the mounts a tiny bit like this:

The bracketry for the older style evap canister is a tiny bit too wide to clamp onto the newer style so I bent them inward with a vice.

Here's the gist of whats going on. I ended up having to slot the frame side mount a bit so that I could tuck the larger evap up as high as possible.

I didn't realize that the middle hose connector was actually larger than the older style so I had to hybrid the two lines together.

Here it is all mounted up. I think going this route is easier than fabbing up the mounts required to hold the evap in the 05' position.

Finally got the newer tank installed.

This is where I ran into a problem. I was under the impression that the 99-02 supply line would just attach to the newer bucket. I forced it on there once and it kinked the line pretty bad. I don't like it.

Is it possible to clock the fuel bucket assembly or would the sender hit the side of the fuel tank? If not, I'm going to have to oder a few adapters.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:07 PM
Charlie Murphy!

I have a few miscellaneous -6AN fittings in my tool box, but nothing to adapt to GM fuel lines, so I ordered some.

I'm wondering if I'll be able to get away without using any actual hose. (I already have those connectors.) eBay says things will arrive in 4 days, hopefully they'll get here sooner. I suppose I could start bolting on turbo parts in the mean time. lol.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

It's been a while since I was in there, but I think the fuel sending unit only goes in one way. I think it has different sized tabs that lock in place in onky one orientation
Old 09-17-2019, 07:05 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Originally Posted by ILuvJDM
It's been a while since I was in there, but I think the fuel sending unit only goes in one way. I think it has different sized tabs that lock in place in onky one orientation
You are correct. I just wasn’t sure if I could modify it. I’ll just patiently wait for my fancy adapters. Plus, -6AN on both ends allows me to run different fuel lines if I ever need too. I do prefer to use factory junk when I can though.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:46 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

For future reference this is how it mounts on the 06. Nice and clean. Up and out of the way. Hopefully your way works out fine too.

06 Evap canister mount.

Quick Reply: 2000 Chevy Silverado project "Charlie Murphy"