PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2000 Chevy Silverado project "Charlie Murphy"

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 09:50 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
For future reference this is how it mounts on the 06. Nice and clean. Up and out of the way. Hopefully your way works out fine too.

06 Evap canister mount.

I hope so too. I just figured it was more difficult to mount it like in your picture. I don’t have the mounting point on my truck and I’d have to weld one in. The way I did it allows me to remove it and go back to the smaller system if need be. Or just delete it all together.

Thanks for your help man.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:02 AM
Charlie Murphy!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, my adapters finally showed up so I test fit everything. This is how I laid things out.

Next up, the last part of the modified evap system. I bought a few 90 degree pieces but ended up only using one of them. I forgot to take a picture of it installed, but it just runs alongside the fuel tank near the rear driveshaft.

So I buttoned everything back up and tried to start it. Nothing. Then I realized that I forgot to connect the ground wire near the fuel filler door. Not that it'd make any difference, but where it attaches to the frame is also where the fuel pump relay does. I grounded everything to the frame, turned the key... nothing. WTF?

My first thought was that I may have wired the fuel pump backwards. I took a break and thought some more. I pulled the plug off at the fuel bucket and connected power directly to the battery to see if the fuel pump would run. Nothing. What gives? Did I get a bad fuel pump? Next, I broke out the multimeter and started ohming out all the pins trying to find the two responsible for fuel level. I figured they'd read something in the range of 100 ohms or so.

On the 05 bucket setup, the center two are connected to the fuel sender rather than pins 1 and 3 on the 00 setup. The only thing I can figure is that when I upgraded from the older style square style bulkhead, the wiring was switched around. I don't understand why racetronix would wire it this way. Why not wire it the way it would be on newer vehicles? Seems dumb.

Apparently 232 ohms correlates to 5 gallons of fuel.

Here's how my truck was wired from racetronix:

Here's how the 05 needed to be wired:

Finally... Started up fine.

I went for a drive. The fact that I can go for a drive with only 5 gallons of gas in it is awesome. Everything seems to be fine with the exception of a bad vibration at around 50-60mph. Oh, and the fuel gauge reads backwards but that was to be expected. Now I have to go digging through storage totes and see where my hptuners interface is.
The following users liked this post:
randybill (01-09-2020)
Old 05-01-2024, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How is she doing 8 years later?