PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2003 Silverado complete rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Silverado complete rebuild

Picked up an '03 Charcoal grey RCSB for a thousand bucks as a project. Not sure of the story behind it, but it is missing quite a lot. I've searched all through this forum for months and I've found some great information but I still have a few questions. As it sits it is pretty much only a cab and frame.

Missing Parts:

-Entire Front clip, no radiator core support, fenders, hood, grill.

-engine, transmission, a/c system, exhaust system.

-most of the interior is there except for the gauge cluster, radio, a/c controls and steering wheel.

how do I go about acquiring parts for the rebuild because I have the title which is clean and want to be able to smog it and deive it legally on California roads. It was originally a 4.3 v6 but I want to legally swap to a 5.3. I would rather have a 6.0 but from what I've read the only way to legally do that is to just swap it and hope the inspector doesn't notice the block casting marks. I'm not willing to spend the money on that so I will just swap a 5.3 from the same or newer year.

If I buy an engine from a junkyard can i get it with all the accessories, ecu, and wiring harness?

Also the wiring harness near my brake booster is cut and I think that one is for my fuse panel under the hood. Is it even feasible to try and splice into a new harness or is it easier to replace it entirely?

Also the lower wiring harness near the frame on the firewall is cut. What is that harness for?

If that harness is for the transmission, can I go the cheap way for now and just run a th400 with a ratchet shifter to get around buying a more expensive 4l80E? And if I run a turbo 400 will that matter when I go to smog it?

Any questions answered will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:45 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

You picked the worst state to live in for this project

Im not sure on CA laws, but I dont think you can have any other engine but the same kind that came in the truck, ie, no swaps, especially v6 to v8 swaps.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Teching In

I know right!? It's rediculous. Well i will have to talk to the beareau of automotive repair to get the specific laws but from what I've read it's legal as long as the engine was offered in this vehicle and has all the appropriate smog equipment.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:03 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Ah, then in that case I would get a complete new harness. If you try to repair the other one you are going to have mixed wiring schematics which will make things a nightmare if you ever have a problem
Old 04-10-2012, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read a few build threads by California people. I thought I read that you could drop in another engine if it is the same make and year or newer. And they had a smog referee approve it, or something like that. **** like that reminds me of how I'd like to visit Cali, but not stay.

A lot of times I see ads where people are selling engines with the harness. I'd keep my eyes open for those. Or find a good long block. Then look for the intake and brackets separately. I see quite a few ads where people are pretty much giving that stuff away.

I figure a harness $200 or less. Not sure on the price but, as far as a 4.8, 5.3, or 6.0 ecm; it doesn't matter. The newer the better though.

You could pick everything up at a junkyard. You'd probably save a good deal of money tracking the stuff down yourself though.

There's no way they will be able to tell what transmission you are running. So visual wouldn't be a problem. You set on an 80e? A 60e is cheaper. I figure the cool factor of a rachet shifter would fade pretty quick.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:05 AM
Staging Lane

That's a rough truck to work with. For the engine you can swap in an engine that came from the year as your truck or newer, and you have to take the truck with the new motor installed to get certified by a state ref. To get all your missing pieces i suggest browsing craigslist, or hit up car-part.com. i've seen a few trucks on craigslist being parted out here in socal. Finding a complete pullout motor shouldn't be too hard i have found a few on ebay. As far as the cut dash harness you're gonna have to replace it. I have one if you are intrested.

Last edited by 1FSTMAX; 04-12-2012 at 02:47 AM.