PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

370 build FINALLY getting started

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
I'd do the "J" head studs and overtorque 15 ft/lbs (in fact I did lol)
Thats with oil not the arp lube right? If that was with ARP lube thats ALOT of over-tq.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:59 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
Any thoughts? Comments? Ideas?
Dusty,

I think you need to get that baby crib taken care of. Then I want to see a stroller with a decked out briggs and straton on it with a 100 shot.

Glad to see you're getting the chance to start the build.

Erick
Old 03-07-2008, 12:19 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dirt track racer 81
geez man..got my motor pulled, takin out, machine work done and put the motor back together and running before yours is even out of the machine shop..haha..jfwy..hopefully you get it back and runnin soon
Thanks J/K.. I'm really glad yours went smooth for ya.. I hope mine goes together that good, even if it takes a few weeks longer...

Originally Posted by Rick@Synergy
Running TTY Bolts is a waste when you are building a motor. I know you think that the TTY will do the job, but in order to build your motor at a machine shop, you will need more than one set of each the heads and the mains. You will need a set for the mains for each time you put the caps on and off, which is about 2-3 times. Then you need about 1-2 sets for when you bore, then hone with TQ plate, ect. So when you are done, you have spent more than ARP stuff and are still not as strong. Hope this helps.

Rick
I get were you are comming from... the plan is to reuse the torque to yelds , then replace with new during finally assembly.. Again, I'm NOT wanting to run TTY bolts to save money, I'd want to use them even if they cost a bit more... I may end up using studs in the caps to make assemly easier, but TTY FTW in the heads.....

Originally Posted by thunder550
Congrats Dusty, it's been a long time coming! What cam were you thinking about going with? In my 408 I have a 220/222-580/580-114 that I am very happy with. It's a baby cam for the cubes I'm running, but the turbo likes it a lot
LOL another area I'm going to be going against the flow.... I was thinking VERY VERY small in duration, and VERY VERY large in lift...

The GT67 will be done for on a 408, but I really want the torque. as the build is getting closer, I'll more than likely be going with a stock crank.

I doubt I'll need to much psi from the turbo, seams as I'll be so high on compression as it is..

Originally Posted by 1FUNZ71
Dusty,

I think you need to get that baby crib taken care of. Then I want to see a stroller with a decked out briggs and straton on it with a 100 shot.

Glad to see you're getting the chance to start the build.

Erick
I already got the stroller picked out, got a brigs behind my tool box at work....
Old 03-07-2008, 12:33 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a good setup I ordered my engine this week. Talk to the guy today says he should have the cam in today and i should have it by wednesday. Oh My engine Sunday afternoon
Old 03-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Dusty,

I was thinking that I can save you some money on fuel to put toward that hotrod stroller!

We will be out there "Utard" at the end of this month, Brent and I can pick up your block for you if it's ready.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by RankRam
Dusty,

I was thinking that I can save you some money on fuel to put toward that hotrod stroller!

We will be out there "Utard" at the end of this month, Brent and I can pick up your block for you if it's ready.
That sounds really good
Old 03-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why TTY headbolts instead of ARPs?
Old 03-07-2008, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
That sounds really good
Just say the word big daddy!
Old 03-07-2008, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Why TTY headbolts instead of ARPs?
I don't think people have give the factory tty bolts a fair shot. Everytime some one cracks a piston and rebuilds they use studs.....

Originally Posted by 427
I have 850-900hp at the flywheel in my DD pick-up with stock GM bolts. I do not drive it with the high boost all the time, but it gets a fair amount of beating time and some trailer towing. After 60,000 miles we pulled the heads to try a different set. We did find some carbon tracking showing some head gasket leakage had happened, but I have rattled the engine a few times testing methanol kits which may have caused the leak. Overall the factory gasket/bolt combo has been very good at the lower power levels, like Hellbents10 I would say 900hp is a good limit for the fastener. The other consideration for guys pushing them hard and working on them alot is the threads as mentioned. I have damaged a few blocks on dyno mules just changing the heads to often, a stud would protect the block threads while typically having more engagement of the factory threads. One of the reasons we use 1/2 studs is to increase the thread contact on the higher torque fasteners.

My .02
Kurt

Seams how I don't plan on removing and reinstalling my heads I don't see any advantage to studs....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=tty
Old 03-07-2008, 11:03 PM

I may be totally off about the tty bolts, but I'm goint to try them unless someone has some real world experience with tty bolts and high HP numbers.

Quick Reply: 370 build FINALLY getting started