PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

4.8 to LQ4 Swap. No spark

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 12:30 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool deal man...glad you didn't go out and buy that crank sensor
Old 02-23-2011, 07:44 PM
makes children cry

Received 440 Likes on 361 Posts

hmm... i had this issue when i swapped my engine & it was all in the tune. i know because we tested everything known to man for a week & then just put the computer in a friend's truck & his did the same thing.

mailed the PCM back to Wait4Me & whatever he did (he never would tell me after denying any tune issues for a week), it fired right up.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im currently havin the same issue.. Ill try the sensor thing, if,that doesnt work. Talk to jess about a retune.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:29 AM
makes children cry

Originally Posted by ONLYA4.8L
im currently havin the same issue.. Ill try the sensor thing, if,that doesnt work. Talk to jess about a retune.
wait... he did your truck, too & the same thing happened

i'd read a bunch of no-bueno stories about Jess & his tuning but had a good experience when he did my 4.3, so i gave him the benefit of the doubt & had him tune for my engine swap.
that was just short of a nightmare - he basically ran me up one side & down the other about how there was nothing wrong with the computer & it's definitely something on my end every day for a week when everything pointed to the tune. i tested everything under the hood and so did 2 other guys at the shop, and i even called two other reputable shops & explained the situation, and everybody said it was the tune. so i just found a friend with a similar setup (mine was an 01 5.3 - his was a 2000), put my computer in, and got the same problem. swapped his stock computer back in & fired right up. i told Jess what happened, and you could hear the frustration when he told me to send it back. i even specifically asked for a different PCM just to make sure it wasn't just a bad unit. when the new one came, i checked - it was the exact same computer i had before, and guess what... installed it & fired right up on the first try.

then, i had the blinking battery light (that neither of us expected or knew how to fix), my speedo & tach were off, and i kept getting codes & CELs for speed sensor issues & ABS i think. i ran some numbers and had my brother pace me on the highway & what i came up with was that i'd been programmed for the wrong diff ratio. i have 3.73s & all the math was showing that the computer thought i had 4.10s. i called to tell Jess what was up & again he denied there ever being anything wrong - i must've messed something up or there was a bad sensor or something. i asked him just to look at the file to be sure & he *supposedly* looked & saw that my tire size & rear end were right.

that's when i had enough & called Blackbear. told Justin what was up & he said "yeah, no problem." i got a computer from him, put it in, and the only issue i had was that the 4x4 light don't work & he missed raising the manual trans fuel cutoff tables. all the gauges & sensors are reading fine. it is, however, a real pain in the **** to get in touch with him, which has made trying to get a retune for my new headers tough, but i trust his work
Old 02-27-2011, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm good to know.. So how much does he charge? How much would wheatly charge?
Old 03-27-2011, 04:29 PM
makes children cry

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/