PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

4.8 Samurai build

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sick project.. I tried putting an LS1 into a jeep cherokee with the stock 5 speed and would have finished but some ******* cut down my money tree and i had to sell it..... just couldnt scrape enough money to buy a custom harness and ecm...
Old 03-15-2011, 05:06 PM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver-Dollar
just do not turn too much too quick. these were notorious for turning on their sides.
How many have you driven personally?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few years ago i put a clutch in this samurai and we use to do some crazy stuff in it. Finally got it to do a 4wd donut in the mud and it was fun.
Im gonna see how it does on the road, i have a sway bar figured out so it wont be hard to make.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 PM
Need More N2O Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of yota axles are you putting under it?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think they are out of a 84. 8" i think? I cant rem the exacts. I had the thirds rebuilt with bearings, lockers and one set of gears for the front.

Kinda at a stand still till i can get these rear wheel bearings replaced, they are on the axle with some kinda super duper good pressure. Broke the press this evening tryin to get them out.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:35 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pretty sure you have to cut the retainers on those. New ones will press into place. Heat them up first.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:44 AM
no title here

When you get yours done I'll bring you mine to do the exact same only with Chevy axles, a 208 t case, and 400. I was going to do it but couldn't find anyone interested to undertake it around here so it got stalled. I can bring everything disassembled down to the bare frame.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skyhighsami
When you get yours done I'll bring you mine to do the exact same only with Chevy axles, a 208 t case, and 400. I was going to do it but couldn't find anyone interested to undertake it around here so it got stalled. I can bring everything disassembled down to the bare frame.
A friend of mine is almost finished with stretching and 4 linking a sami. Not sure we wants to do another one but if you are serious maybe something could be worked out.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

I got the bearings off tonight, they were in there pretty good. They have a snap ring and a funny bushing then the huge bearing.
Gotta pick up some bearings and seals tom. Might can finish the rear axle and start on the front tom. Gonna order some HD front axle seals and creeper flanges so i can finish the front. Then gotta order a radiator so i can fit it and put the body on.
I can make it fit with no trimming with a 6" body lift or trim the tunnel and fit it easy with a 3" body lift.

I sold all my go fast stuff off my silverado cause i got tired of working on stuff. Used all that money and bought a bunch of powder, primers and bullets. Shooting in competitions just bout every weekend, it was nice to get away from everything and concentrate on one thing. Had an idea on the samurai and everybody said it wouldnt work, it will be too heavy, pointless, the 1.3 would be plenty but it was way past rebuilding, 1.6 swap would be easier. None of them would just encourage ya and watch.
I had all the parts at the house so figured it would be something different and cool. But its taking up alot of my time.
When i finish it im gonna start on my shop/house. If you can wait bout a year till i finish that then i wont mind putting it all together for ya for a fair price.
I have my work cut out for me!
Old 03-28-2011, 03:59 PM
no title here

I had a 1.6. It's not enough. It also had a 6.4-1 tcase on 31s. I want something I can travel with and camp/trail ride not tow and have to hassle with a trailer

Quick Reply: 4.8 Samurai build