PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

6.0 Stick Shift Tahoe (NV4500)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 281 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by dantheman1540
I hope Joe gets pardoned or released sometime soon.

Which valve? Intake, exhaust or both?
Same! POTUS should have pardoned him a long time ago!

I think both valves is the only answer.
The following 2 users liked this post by tjmath:
arthursc2 (09-17-2020), dantheman1540 (09-20-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts

Getting one 862 worked to match the other and both are getting new seals, dual springs, and decked. Turns out the current heads aren't ported at all. At least not according to the machine shop owner who's been porting heads 30 years. Oh well the bigger valves and higher comp still make more low end, mid range and probably equal or more power under 6k which I will always keep the limiter at.

Also the 224/228 is going in with ARP bolts, LS9 gaskets, and CHE trunion upgrade. Should sound nice make decent power and be setup for if I decide it needs a little boost.

If the idle doesnt sound good enough through the giant flopro then I might swap it with a giant magnaflow.

lastly the amount of carbon I've found makes me feel better about the $25 catch can I recently added.

Oh and heres a picture of my gross thumb just cause.

Old 09-20-2020, 08:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Got everything except the cam retaining plate and the head bolts on Friday but had to wait until today around noon for that stuff to come in. Slapped it all together rather quick except for a rear driver exhaust bolt cross threading that needed a quick thread cleaning and not being able to find a passenger side coolant port plug anywhere in town so I got a ECT sensor and now I have a spare. Also upon first startup I had a terrible noise on the passenger side so I quickly shut it off and checked the oil only to find there was a ton of water/coolant still in there. Took 5 flushes of the Dollar stores finest dyno oil to get all the moisture out. The plus side is now I have a bunch of weed killed for around the yard.

Tune seems pretty decent even though I never touched it. Idles good and drives exactly as it did before just haven't gone WOT yet.

I am absolutely frothing at the mouth excited for the first CLUTCH DUMMMPPPPPPPPPP

Heres a little idle clip from my potato phone but at least I have one @_zebra .

Old 09-20-2020, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by _zebra
the 219/224 if sticking with 862s, i'd say stick with a slightly thinner one.
This bugged me enough that I realized the LS9s would probably require longer pushrods which I didn't order or have the ability to get so I picked up some regular old lq4 gaskets. Glad I did, the valve train is nice and quiet and losing the comp ratio just isn't cool.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:09 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

I was Considering a similar cam for my 6.0L
Old 09-20-2020, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

I see no reason not to. I haven't beat it yet but it seems to pull great lugging it around. I can still start in third from a stop and it doesn't buck around or do anything weird.

It honestly has changed my view on bigger cams. I will probably swap the flopro out for a big honky magnaflo soon for a tad more cam noise but for now it's pretty much silent in the cab. I can hear the electric fans over the engine and exhaust.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:03 PM
makes children cry

Received 436 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by dantheman1540
It honestly has changed my view on bigger cams. I will probably swap the flopro out for a big honky magnaflo soon for a tad more cam noise but for now it's pretty much silent in the cab. I can hear the electric fans over the engine and exhaust.
which is exactly what led to me replacing my MBRP muffler with an 8" stack... but to each his own.

that cam actually sounds almost stock - super smooth - so i reckon it does drive pretty easy
Old 09-21-2020, 06:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by _zebra
which is exactly what led to me replacing my MBRP muffler with an 8" stack... but to each his own.

that cam actually sounds almost stock - super smooth - so i reckon it does drive pretty easy
Its very smooth right now. I was comparing the difference in overspeed/underspeed spark tables between the tune for the old cam and the tune for my RCSB which had this cam and I am surprised its running this good because they are very different. However, the RCSB was also set to idle at 675 where right now its idling at 800. Atomic already got back to me and said he didn't see any issues so I guess I'll get on it and go from there. I'll probably try tuning the rest of it myself and see if I can blow it up.

Mufflers I'm considering right now are a single Magnaflow 12599 or dual 14641s. If it's too loud I have a set of Ultra quiets and regular vibrant resonators on my parts shelf.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:32 PM
makes children cry

Received 436 Likes on 358 Posts

them's some ballin' options right there

of the two, i'd personally go with the 14641: incorporates an internal cross-over & saves a lot of space while still letting you hear it.
them two singles would be quieter & keep more of the dual-note distinction (unless you also add an X or H upstream), they'd take up a LOT more room, and you have to buy two of them.

but those're just my worthless thoughts on not my truck
Old 09-21-2020, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Well everybody took to long to comment so I impulse ordered a Mag 12599. I like that its basically the same size as the flopro but louder and flow better. Just gonna slap it on and go from there.

Played with the tune a bit and go it to sound a little rowdier at idle. It doesn't spare when the ac gets kicked on anymore but it does drop a little to far after a high rpm pull then letting out in neutral, sometimes it catches itself sometimes it doesn't so there is work to be done. Also my AEM is still showing an error, it just says SENSR so I guess the sensor took a crap.

Anyway heres a new idle video for anyone who cares.
The following users liked this post:
RedXray (09-22-2020)

Quick Reply: 6.0 Stick Shift Tahoe (NV4500)