PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

6.0 Stick Shift Tahoe (NV4500)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 08:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts

Couldn't take the factory halogen headlamps anymore so I did a projector retrofit with Morimoto Mini H1 projectors and Morimoto 35w/4500k HIDs. These headlights are super small and hard to retrofit so a company called Lightwerkz sells brackets to convert some cheap Depo knock off retrofit headlamps to quality Morimoto projectors. It truly is as simple as unscrew the only projectors off the back, bolt the brackets to the Morimoto projector and screw them both in place on the old ones.

I was skeptical at first but they came out great and the performance is better than a 2019 Tahoe headlight.

Also had a local detailer buff and wax the 15 year old paint back to life.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,502 Likes on 1,101 Posts

My gripe with the DEPOs has been that they shake around a lot. Apparently there is a fooseball mod for them, but I went back to OE.

The morimotos are nice! Did a retrofit on my Buick with them
Old 09-18-2019, 09:59 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by arthursc2
My gripe with the DEPOs has been that they shake around a lot. Apparently there is a fooseball mod for them, but I went back to OE.

Sad thing is I ordered new GM Tail lights at the dealer... Guess what was in the GM Box that now says made in china... DEPO...

I thought someone may have returned them to the dealer prior to me getting them since the were Not opened in front of me. Apparently the parts guy opened them to make sure they weren't damaged. He ordered another set and let me open them up when they came in... Same...

I don't need to pay GM $150 for a tail lamp that I can get for $50 on the internet...

The tail lights are decent But the headlamps and turn signal lamps Suck!!! The lenses yellow after a few months and the little peanut bulbs don't fit in the corner. I had to take the last set USA made lights I bought off my VHO truck before I sold it.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by arthursc2

I agree the plastic brackets and adjusters seem much flimsier than OEM but these don't wobble as bad as I had expected.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Sad thing is I ordered new GM Tail lights at the dealer... Guess what was in the GM Box that now says made in china... DEPO...

I thought someone may have returned them to the dealer prior to me getting them since the were Not opened in front of me. Apparently the parts guy opened them to make sure they weren't damaged. He ordered another set and let me open them up when they came in... Same...

I don't need to pay GM $150 for a tail lamp that I can get for $50 on the internet...

The tail lights are decent But the headlamps and turn signal lamps Suck!!! The lenses yellow after a few months and the little peanut bulbs don't fit in the corner. I had to take the last set USA made lights I bought off my VHO truck before I sold it.
Wow I didn't know they took over as the GM parts supplier. That's super depressing I wouldn't have bought Depot if I hadn't planned to molest them and put quality parts in in. My RCSB has retrofitted Projectors with 55w bulbs and the lenses yellowed in just 3 years. I went with the 35w bulbs this time hoping to make these lenses last longer.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:56 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Worst cast, I have some Take off OEM headlamps that have been in the garage for a long time. I bought them as spares for my 2000 but I sold it a few years back.

Someday I will dig that stuff out and put it up for sale.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Worst cast, I have some Take off OEM headlamps that have been in the garage for a long time. I bought them as spares for my 2000 but I sold it a few years back.

Someday I will dig that stuff out and put it up for sale.
Do you have a prefered aftermarket headlight brand?

I was surprised when I contacted Lightwerkz about having them build me a custom retrofit headlight they said they use Depot lenses and housing for older GM stuff.

P.S. Let me clear it up and say that I wasn't looking to get demon eyes, color changing halos or anything uhhh............. Flashy...... Just a simple clean projector.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:39 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by dantheman1540
Do you have a prefered aftermarket headlight brand?

I was surprised when I contacted Lightwerkz about having them build me a custom retrofit headlight they said they use Depot lenses and housing for older GM stuff.

P.S. Let me clear it up and say that I wasn't looking to get demon eyes, color changing halos or anything uhhh............. Flashy...... Just a simple clean projector.
Nope!!! They all suck and have issues of some sort!!! When Possible, I try and find some decent OEM light to work with. The lenses can be sanded and polished to like new. You can also clear coat them to try and preserve them.

The DEPO was decent fit in the rear and I would probably use those again. But Fronts, Seems like nothing fits or last the same as OEM.

My buddy has Vision on his GMC. The Lenses are very clear but the plastic where it mounts is flimsy and they tend to flex there where as the OEM's are rigid in this area.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,502 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Xenarc X2020s were supposedly theeeeeeeeee **** when they were around. I came too late to the game to get them new, and now ppl want $500+ for 10-12yr old setups
Old 09-19-2019, 05:53 PM
TECH Junkie

I've actually never heard of Xenarc X2020s. I guess I'm late to the game.

If I didn't hate small detailed work so much Id get some OEM lights pull the lenses to refurb them and do a full retrofit but I despise projects like that.

I much prefer to hit things with hammers

Quick Reply: 6.0 Stick Shift Tahoe (NV4500)