PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

6.0 Stick Shift Tahoe (NV4500)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 01:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,502 Likes on 1,101 Posts

I dont need them unless I find a smoking deal on a reman 6.0 short block
Old 04-29-2021, 01:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts

I can probably find you a reman 6.0 short block that's smoking
The following users liked this post:
arthursc2 (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 02:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,502 Likes on 1,101 Posts

About how my luck has been lately too
dantheman1540 (04-30-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 03:43 PM
makes children cry

Received 436 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by dantheman1540
Have you heard from Penny lately? My RC is still in pieces I just have no motivation right now it needs so much.
actually got an idle/rev video a few weeks ago - my wife realized we didn't have one from after the cam swap & got the kid to send me one for my birthday.
looked like he got the bed fixed, too, as well as slapped some chrome 20s on it.

I can probably find you a reman 6.0 short block that's smoking
guessing blue smoke instead of white if it's only a short block...
dantheman1540 (04-30-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 06:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by arthursc2
About how my luck has been lately too
How them UCAs coming? . I finally got the front end alignment in spec after the coilovers then realizing I needed the Belltech alignment bushing kit. Now I just need the driveline angel corrected and I can get back to burnouts.

Originally Posted by _zebra
actually got an idle/rev video a few weeks ago - my wife realized we didn't have one from after the cam swap & got the kid to send me one for my birthday.
looked like he got the bed fixed, too, as well as slapped some chrome 20s on it.

guessing blue smoke instead of white if it's only a short block...
Not chrome 20s! I'll forever imagine it trudging through the snow down Ellsworth st. with the 16s and 33s.

Old 04-30-2021, 05:47 PM
makes children cry

Not chrome 20s! I'll forever imagine it trudging through the snow down Ellsworth st. with the 16s and 33s.

yeah, me too.
i even swapped the donk chrome 20s on Samson for some polished+black 18s when i bumped up to 35s over Christmas.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

yeah, me too.
i even swapped the donk chrome 20s on Samson for some polished+black 18s when i bumped up to 35s over Christmas.
Chrome and 20s just don't belong with ATs or MTs.

Btw how did you mount those PIAAs in the grill? Was it a kit or something you fabbed up?
Old 04-30-2021, 09:17 PM
makes children cry

hmm... looks like i never did a write-up on it (installed about a year before i actually signed up here)

being freshly-graduated from college & still unemployed, i simply:
- grabbed a cheap pair of lights from wally-world
- measured where they fit best without being obstructed by the emblem (not much tolerance, mind you)
- unbolted that aluminum cross brace
- went at it with a drill press
- bolted the lights on
- wired them up using the switched radio power circuit
- aimed them through cyclic iterations of adjust, install grille, remove grille, adjust again, reinstall grille, remove grille, adjust some more, etc. because the slats actually masked the top & bottom of the pattern - shaping a sweet spot i was aiming for between the low & high beam elevations that actually did well providing add'l down-road illumination without blinding oncomers

they do need to be pretty thin housings to fit without trimming the inside of the grille (or doing a billet insert swap), though, and that lends to having zero HID or LED retrofit options in a traditional H3 bulb fixture... so my recommendation nowadays would be to get an actual thin LED fog setup (because this ain't 2008, so good ones exist for < $1M).

ain't sure where'd be the best place to mount some behind a chebby grille because round ones in the center clearly ain't happening (stupid solid bar), but i reckon some small rectangular ones might work with a creative offset bracket solution. i've seen a couple done that way in passing but never saw how they were mounted (and didn't really care either because they didn't look as good as mine! )
Old 05-01-2021, 08:59 AM
TECH Junkie

hmm... looks like i never did a write-up on it (installed about a year before i actually signed up here)

being freshly-graduated from college & still unemployed, i simply:
- grabbed a cheap pair of lights from wally-world
- measured where they fit best without being obstructed by the emblem (not much tolerance, mind you)
- unbolted that aluminum cross brace
- went at it with a drill press
- bolted the lights on
- wired them up using the switched radio power circuit
- aimed them through cyclic iterations of adjust, install grille, remove grille, adjust again, reinstall grille, remove grille, adjust some more, etc. because the slats actually masked the top & bottom of the pattern - shaping a sweet spot i was aiming for between the low & high beam elevations that actually did well providing add'l down-road illumination without blinding oncomers

they do need to be pretty thin housings to fit without trimming the inside of the grille (or doing a billet insert swap), though, and that lends to having zero HID or LED retrofit options in a traditional H3 bulb fixture... so my recommendation nowadays would be to get an actual thin LED fog setup (because this ain't 2008, so good ones exist for < $1M).

ain't sure where'd be the best place to mount some behind a chebby grille because round ones in the center clearly ain't happening (stupid solid bar), but i reckon some small rectangular ones might work with a creative offset bracket solution. i've seen a couple done that way in passing but never saw how they were mounted (and didn't really care either because they didn't look as good as mine! )
That's pretty much what I thought you did lol. I wouldnt do it to mine, the big stupid bar is totally in the way. But the 408 Yukon Denali owner wants something like that, plenty of space behind that grill.

Guess he's got to start test fitting lol.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Steve sent me some pics of his light setup and I thought it was pretty dope. Thinking about driving the SS down to Orlando next week. Got to get the hell out of this place for awhile. But im disappointed there wont' be any burnouts cause your truck isn't together.
dantheman1540 (05-05-2021)

Quick Reply: 6.0 Stick Shift Tahoe (NV4500)