PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

6.0 Stick Shift Tahoe (NV4500)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 06:12 PM
makes children cry

Received 436 Likes on 358 Posts

side note... any of y'all have a metallic rattling through the nv4500 shifters?
i've had a factory one & the Core unit now - both do it almost constantly. thinking it might be due to the lack of a plastic pivot cup on the bottom of the shifter itself where it contacts the rails/forks, but i don't remember any of the factory nv4500 trucks doing it at the dealership (granted that was over 15yrs ago).

starting to get annoying
Old 03-15-2020, 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I did the install twice. Once for the factory plastic bracket and once when i swapped to the metal bracket. I didn't take the dash out. I just unbolted all the bolts on the dash and the column and pushed it back just enough to sneak it in. The metal bracket is actually easier to get in. If you dont have a full length console tied into the dash that also makes it easier. With 2 people it should be a breeze. Hell the first time I had to make the mounting locations. That was not too fun. I want to say the axekick truck doesn't have the upper mounting location but can't recall for sure!
As stupid as it sounds I'll just wait till I break a plastic bracket or have to remove one for some other reason. No upper mounting location is something I'll have to look at.🤔

Originally Posted by _zebra
side note... any of y'all have a metallic rattling through the nv4500 shifters?
i've had a factory one & the Core unit now - both do it almost constantly. thinking it might be due to the lack of a plastic pivot cup on the bottom of the shifter itself where it contacts the rails/forks, but i don't remember any of the factory nv4500 trucks doing it at the dealership (granted that was over 15yrs ago).

starting to get annoying
With the hurst if I rest my hand on the shifter I can feel a little vibration which then resonates in my head but with my hand off it's not any louder than normal road noise. Unless I'm used to it. The shifter I sent you was exceptionally loud for some reason. (Pretty sure it was off a dodge or some 90s truck) I put dynamatt (well a knockoff version) on the base which seemed to help a little but the truck also had no tunnel insulation around the hole until I swapped in the Hurst.

Come to think of it when I did a URD short shifter in a 6speed Tacoma last year I remember the instructions being very specific about reusing the factory plastic Pivot cup to avoid harsh cabin noises. Maybe we could come up with one for these trucks. I have a spare shifter laying around to tinker with. Maybe we could get the ball dipped in something that would not hurt the tranny if it came apart.

*Side note to a side note* Zebra did you get your clutch feeling right? I have a spare master rod that's been extended 3/8" if you want it. I can send you this one and you send me yours if you like the extension. That way I can have a spare back.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Yea. The Hurst shifter in the Yukon was a bit noisy in 5th on the highway. If you put your hand on the handle and positioned it right most of the noise when away. I called it character. The Yukon was pretty loud anyways. I had a lot of comments on my exhaust good and bad.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:47 AM
TECH Junkie

After getting 2 broken HD grills from carparts.com they finally added some packing material in the box with the third one and it arrived in 1 piece. Cut the frame horns and dropped them an inch and a half. The bumper has definitely had a bump or two as it was tweaked and the PO used washers to space it right.

Anyway finally got the HD swap done and I think it came out pretty good. Needs a bath.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

That truck looks mean! Inspiring terror in rear view mirrors!
The following users liked this post:
dantheman1540 (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 09:08 PM
makes children cry

Originally Posted by dantheman1540
With the hurst if I rest my hand on the shifter I can feel a little vibration which then resonates in my head but with my hand off it's not any louder than normal road noise. Unless I'm used to it. The shifter I sent you was exceptionally loud for some reason. (Pretty sure it was off a dodge or some 90s truck) I put dynamatt (well a knockoff version) on the base which seemed to help a little but the truck also had no tunnel insulation around the hole until I swapped in the Hurst.

Come to think of it when I did a URD short shifter in a 6speed Tacoma last year I remember the instructions being very specific about reusing the factory plastic Pivot cup to avoid harsh cabin noises. Maybe we could come up with one for these trucks. I have a spare shifter laying around to tinker with. Maybe we could get the ball dipped in something that would not hurt the tranny if it came apart.

*Side note to a side note* Zebra did you get your clutch feeling right? I have a spare master rod that's been extended 3/8" if you want it. I can send you this one and you send me yours if you like the extension. That way I can have a spare back.
my noise ain't a shifter rattle - it's coming from the trans case.

as for the pivot cup, we also got a core/hurst for the wife's H3 and the instructions had me swap the pivot cup over. funny enough, the nv3500 one (which i actually think is a real hurst after seeing both of the core shifters) didn't swap the pivot because the metal ball was as big as the plastic cup - which makes sense why it rattled as much as it did.

and the one you sent is a GM version - the dodges had a weird dogleg bend. and it really wasn't no louder than the core is for me. hmm...

the clutch got rebled & is shifting better now. not as good as before but much better. thanks, though.

speaking of... some trailer mirrors make a WORLD of difference over the standards, even in daily driving. started with that lemon d-max i bought having the accordion power-extendo ones that i temporarily swapped over while it was dead in the water.
after the dealer bought it back, i bought my own set of manual trailer mirrors with the built-in blind spot corners... they've been the ****! think i paid $90 new on the auction site.
just food for thought
Old 03-30-2020, 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks I wish it sounded like the denali then it would really instill fear! What I really needs is a big Trick intercooler behind the grill.😎

my noise ain't a shifter rattle - it's coming from the trans case.

as for the pivot cup, we also got a core/hurst for the wife's H3 and the instructions had me swap the pivot cup over. funny enough, the nv3500 one (which i actually think is a real hurst after seeing both of the core shifters) didn't swap the pivot because the metal ball was as big as the plastic cup - which makes sense why it rattled as much as it did.

and the one you sent is a GM version - the dodges had a weird dogleg bend. and it really wasn't no louder than the core is for me. hmm...

the clutch got rebled & is shifting better now. not as good as before but much better. thanks, though.

speaking of... some trailer mirrors make a WORLD of difference over the standards, even in daily driving. started with that lemon d-max i bought having the accordion power-extendo ones that i temporarily swapped over while it was dead in the water.
after the dealer bought it back, i bought my own set of manual trailer mirrors with the built-in blind spot corners... they've been the ****! think i paid $90 new on the auction site.
just food for thought
Huh I wonder why yours is louder. Did you over fill by a quart?

Those mirrors actually look decent I might have to look for a set. I couldn't live with the duramax mirrors looks to "dodge cummins tow mirror-ish".

How have you kept that truck so clean through all the harsh winters and summers?

Also possibly buying a 2014 9.5 14bolt tomorrow 😎
Old 03-31-2020, 12:02 AM
makes children cry

Originally Posted by dantheman1540
Thanks I wish it sounded like the denali then it would really instill fear! What I really needs is a big Trick intercooler behind the grill.😎

Huh I wonder why yours is louder. Did you over fill by a quart?

Those mirrors actually look decent I might have to look for a set. I couldn't live with the duramax mirrors looks to "dodge cummins tow mirror-ish".

How have you kept that truck so clean through all the harsh winters and summers?

Also possibly buying a 2014 9.5 14bolt tomorrow 😎
no, actually overfilling the nv4500s will cause them to bust seals (unlike the 3500 & 5600 that almost require an extra qt to sound normal). that came from the horse's mouth that built the transmission.

dude, i took that pic last summer after warshing it. but the sun's finally took its toll on the hood - couple big spots of clear flaking off
i have at least since glued that door trim back on.

and it turned out the general produced a number of extendable tow mirror styles for the GMT800:

i've also seen one more rounder, elephant ear looking one... but it's rare & i ain't really sure if it was GM or aftermarket.
anyway, the 1st two are powered (2nd has power extend), and the 3rd one is fully manual. with the 3rd, just be careful of which ones you look at because a couple years didn't have the spot mirrors in the corner.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:51 AM
TECH Junkie

no, actually overfilling the nv4500s will cause them to bust seals (unlike the 3500 & 5600 that almost require an extra qt to sound normal). that came from the horse's mouth that built the transmission.

dude, i took that pic last summer after warshing it. but the sun's finally took its toll on the hood - couple big spots of clear flaking off
i have at least since glued that door trim back on.

and it turned out the general produced a number of extendable tow mirror styles for the GMT800:

i've also seen one more rounder, elephant ear looking one... but it's rare & i ain't really sure if it was GM or aftermarket.
anyway, the 1st two are powered (2nd has power extend), and the 3rd one is fully manual. with the 3rd, just be careful of which ones you look at because a couple years didn't have the spot mirrors in the corner.
Both mine are over filled and have no leaks 🤷‍♂️.
Did you ever decide to install those fast coolers? If not are they for sale?

First 2 are not an option as far as looks go. The third is a possibility. But now that I'm fancy with a back up camera that I can switch on at any time idk if I really need them. Maybe if I find some at a junk yard.

Peeling hood is sad. But now you have an excuse for a chopped up HD or something else exotic.
I feel I saved this black paint from certain doom if I waiting a year or so to do a paint correction and don't keep it waxed.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:38 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Those are the early 99-00 Mirrors before they came out with the HD package.

I found the current part numbers.

Listed as WIDE LOAD "CAMPER" MIR(DF2) (1999-2000)

Quick Reply: 6.0 Stick Shift Tahoe (NV4500)