PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

6.0 Turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ehhhhhh Ive been lazy haha

Ive just been driving the truck and the coolant doesnt go down, if it does its super slow. I got a electric smog pump from a jetta I just have to hook it all up to my catch can and hopefully itll work. I also gotta call a local place that supposedly does oil sample testing to see if i have coolant in the oil or not I just keep forgetting during the day at work.

I also figured out all the stuff I need for water meth I just have to pull the trigger to put a hole in my wallet
Old 07-21-2016, 08:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

get to work..... I'd hate to have a truck faster than yours this fall....
Old 07-21-2016, 03:19 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Them is fighting words...
Old 07-21-2016, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey by all means you should have a truck faster than mine, the only part of my trucks that fits this forum is the engine haha the rest of it belongs on a duramax forum. When I see a blower posted on your thread maybe Ill get some ambition

Speaking of duramax I raced a LML on 495 like a month ago that was lowered wheels gauges straight pipe and couldnt get by him, but I still call that win cause that had to easily be a 500 hp truck and a gasser gave him a run for his money
Old 07-21-2016, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by GRRR65GTO
Hey by all means you should have a truck faster than mine, the only part of my trucks that fits this forum is the engine haha the rest of it belongs on a duramax forum. When I see a blower posted on your thread maybe Ill get some ambition

Speaking of duramax I raced a LML on 495 like a month ago that was lowered wheels gauges straight pipe and couldnt get by him, but I still call that win cause that had to easily be a 500 hp truck and a gasser gave him a run for his money
I mean if he had gauges he musta had 500hp...
Old 07-26-2016, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I found a new weak link in the truck that has been brewing since I built it I guess and never had this situation happen. I was sitting in three lanes of traffic on my way to maine for like 30 min in 95 degree weather. You know how you occasionally glance down at your gauges to check them, well my tranny temp was up to 220 and i was like huh thats weird... Then I look at my coolant and its at like 245, well ****... So I pull over and unfortunately my fans were still going full blast. I let it sit for a few mins with the hood up idling and it still doesnt go down. My coolant was also not super full so I found the nearest autozone to get coolant and on the way there after I got off the highway it went back down once air was moving again. Then it never went up again, but I also never sat in traffic again. So my china fans cant do the job apparently...

So im shopping for new e fans and new nnbs ones are around $175 so a no brainer right? Especially since they make HD e fans with 9 blades for nnbs 2500 suburbans apparently
Old 07-26-2016, 08:14 PM

Look into LS1 fans! Mine haven't had a single issue.

Can be had for under 100$ usually
Old 07-26-2016, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Ls1 fans are small, lots of uncovered radiator.

Get the oem truck fans.

Turbo truck needs a strong cooling system to withstand summer temps. I'm guessing the issue isn't huge for him given location. But, oe fans, aluminum radiator, 30% coolant/70% DI I never exceeded my set point for high fan turn on temp. I always kept my coolant temps in the 170s when running hard.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:02 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Not as much of an issue as it is for you... but we see multiple days in the high 90's here too. It only takes one day that hot sitting in traffic to ruin a good time...
Old 09-22-2016, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I fixed the fan problem but ran into another two...

I was lucky enough that all I have to was put in a pipe with a 45 in it and just cut the others to length

At the same time i put in a new radiator cause thats whats leaking and making my coolant go down. Just a slow leak in the fins from my old e fans rubbing on it. It was small enough for a while it never made it to the ground but eventually it did and thats how I found it. The radiator was a pain cause the trans cooler fittings are different so I get the right AN adapters for the thread and they leak because the fittings are what hold the actual cooler in the radiator and they only thread in like 3 threads. The quick disconnect fittings use o rings to seal and I couldnt figure out how to do that so I used teflon tape like I have with the original radiator. I bought quick disconnect adapters now that will work with the fittings it came with.

But it didnt leak super horrible so I had been driving it.

Last weekend I towed my friends ECLB duramax like 1.5 hours last weekend cause the trans wouldnt shift out of 1st and I forgot how good this thing pulled. Once its in boost it just pulls and pulls.

Well the truck started ticking after, from the end of the manifold being warped and it finally dawned on me why.... The downpipe has like maybe 1/4 inch clearance with the frame I never thought twice about. The motor must torque and it tried to move the downpipe in towards the motor the way the frame is angled, tried to pull the manifold away from the head, which is what it did.... This is with a 1/2 flange too. So Im first going to try to have the manifold machined flat again and if not send it to Kyle to have a new flange put on...

All summer I did nothing to the truck but of course once I get to school big problems happen....

Quick Reply: 6.0 Turbo build