PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

67 chevy build

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^^Not to mention it rides a ton better than leaf springs.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:28 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The biggest issues with a 2 link are pinion angle, lack of flex points, and no backups for power handling.

As your suspension moves the pinion angle changes drastically do to basically being on the end of a stick. Hold a yard stick out and move it 3-4 inches up and down and see how much the tip changes angle. Again with springs not as bad as with a bagged set up but it still isn't ideal because it can cause drive line binding.

Only having two points that have any pivot and flex makes any thing besides both tires moving vertically together a bind on the two pivot points.

Finally Power handling is obvious. There are guys putting good amounts of power down but I wouldn't consider it ideal. You have two bolts, and two welded or u-bolted perches holding you axle on. If you notice this set up was factory back when 100 factory hp was allot.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by custm2500
The biggest issues with a 2 link are pinion angle, lack of flex points, and no backups for power handling.

As your suspension moves the pinion angle changes drastically do to basically being on the end of a stick. Hold a yard stick out and move it 3-4 inches up and down and see how much the tip changes angle. Again with springs not as bad as with a bagged set up but it still isn't ideal because it can cause drive line binding.

Only having two points that have any pivot and flex makes any thing besides both tires moving vertically together a bind on the two pivot points.

Finally Power handling is obvious. There are guys putting good amounts of power down but I wouldn't consider it ideal. You have two bolts, and two welded or u-bolted perches holding you axle on. If you notice this set up was factory back when 100 factory hp was allot.
You just don't understand what your talking about... ALL NASCAR race cars use that EXACT style of suspension. Only difference is the arms are a little thicker. Pinon angle stays almost perfectly pointed at the tail shaft of the transmission which is where you want it to be. As for handling power, are you Kidding??? 800hp to the tires ALL day long with a 12" slicks... The front bolts and the U-bolt are both 3/4. I think they are PLENTY strong. I have a LOT of experience with truck arm suspension, I think I know what I'm talking about.

And besides, this is Aarons build thread, not a truck arms suck debate!
Old 08-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Well he asked for information.

Nascar also isn't launching from a stop and putting down event 800hp from a roll is nothing like launching a heavy truck with 300-500hp. They are on a smooth surface not going over curbs, pot holes, and everything else on a normal daily drive. They are built to drive a banked track for a few hundred miles. Along with all of that they are looked over and rebuilt many times over a season so if anything gets bent or bushing are worn they are replace long before they would be noticed on a typical daily driver.

It is his build thread of his very nice truck but the reason for going on these forums is to learn therefore debates aren't a bad thing.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are you still shitting on this thread? Its a static setup, its the stock suspension, its in a play truck. Just let it go man. All I seem to see you do on here is argue with people who know more about the topic than you. Stop attempting to be smarter than everyone and you wont look like such an ***.

This thing will be sweet with a turbo LS in it!!
Old 08-31-2010, 05:54 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Yes this truck would be over the top with a turbo lsx under the hood!
Old 08-31-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by custm2500
All looks good but a 2 link, and in such a nice truck otherwise?

My 70 short-widebed was running 10.70s 10 years ago on the stock trailing arms with minor tweaks. Nothing wrong with that suspension.

Nice project 53russell
Old 09-04-2010, 01:49 AM
TECH Addict

Looks like you have made some progress, i was hoping you would pull it out of the garage soon.
Cant wait to see it done
Old 09-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

I saw somewhere that the older trucks with the factory 2-Link they make the arms somewhat flexible to aid in articulation. Makes sence to help keep the tires on the ground.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 95 bright teal
Looks like you have made some progress, i was hoping you would pull it out of the garage soon.
Cant wait to see it done
Yea the bed is going out to get sand blasted here few weeks.

Quick Reply: 67 chevy build