PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

84 S-10 5.3L Sleeper "Vanilla"

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 S-10 5.3L Sleeper "Vanilla"

Starting another project. Maybe I can actually finish one for a change.

After going through several vehicles (4 s-10's to be exact), I have managed to get myself a clean 84 S-10.

I had a 91 S-10 setup to drag race that I was going to swap everything over from until I got a bit of a challenge to do a LS swap from a friend. At first, I was going to part the 91 apart and keep the good stuff for myself. Then a neighbor asked if I would trade.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...advice-486589/

I then traded again for a 99 5.3L with 100,000 miles complete with wiring harness, ecm, all brackets and accessories except the a/c compressor.

The plan is to build a sleeper. I am going to try to keep the truck look as "old man" as possible. I have the stuff to relocate the battery to the bed, but the plan is to put it in an old tool box like a handy man would carry. I am hoping to turn up some bucket seats, and get my neighbor to help me build a "built in the garage" console with a hidden cubby for tach and ecm interface, possibly other gauges and what not. I want a pretty quiet exhaust of some fashion. I am even getting some stock dog dish wheels from a friend of mine to further the "nothing to see here" image.

After some research and price checking, looks like I am going go through Current Performance for most of the conversion parts. If I find anything cheaper, or if anyone has some solid advice I will go that route.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Ok, first question after initial post. I am sure if I spent an hour researching I would find the answer only to forget it 10 minutes after finding it.

Seems like there was something weird about the crank to flywheel adaptation in 99. Seems like this was just related to the 6.0L, but I would like to be clear.

Also, the truck my engine came from already had the transmission pulled from it. I would like to go with a 4L60E. My buddy isn't sure about compatibility of any other years. He is also worried about the harness being from a 4x4 and me using it in a 2wd. When I have current performance redo my harness for me, I can just let them know it is for a 2wd truck and they can just remove anything for the transfer case right?

Also considering maybe just going with a TH350 trans. What is involved adapting it to the LS engine?

Last edited by cttandy; 08-05-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

I had planned to tear the s-10 down today. First thing this morning a guy shows up at the house wanting to look at my friends blazer. After a test drive and sealing the deal, we find out the push button transfer case wont go into neutral. Spent the rest of the day fooling with that, and decided it needs the transfer case replaced. I also had a customer call me needing a new computer ASAP, so we ran down to a local supplier and picked up some stuff. When we got back to the house, decided to wash all the cars, and finish up the mini-van I have for sale. In the middle of the washing, a guy shows up wanting to buy a set of wheels from me. Unfortunately, I hadn't taken the wheels off the car yet, so more quick work. Just finished up all the washing and the putting up of everything.

Looks like I will be installing a transfer case in the Blazer tomorrow. I really need to get things cleared out of my way so I can get this truck dismantled.

I still haven't decided on a transmission.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Launching!

on the 6.0 from what i understand, 99 and 2000 motors had a longer crank and iron heads so if you have an aluminum head engine it will have a spacer on the flexplate to make up the distance. idk about the 5.3
Old 08-06-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

I also talked to the neighbor today about helping me with the console. He was first a little confused but the more I described things to him the bigger his evil grin got. He is ready to get started. I told him I wanted it to look aged, beat up, and crude, but look very nice and finished out on the inside.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SlickSierra
on the 6.0 from what i understand, 99 and 2000 motors had a longer crank and iron heads so if you have an aluminum head engine it will have a spacer on the flexplate to make up the distance. idk about the 5.3
That is what I was thinking. Just wasn't 100%.

I remember reading a story in car craft about adapting an older transmission to the LS engine. I can't remember the details. I am going to see what I can turn up.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

I'm here to make fun of you per your request
Old 08-06-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by silverado-lover
I'm here to make fun of you per your request
Thanks!
Old 08-06-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Ok, I found an old Car Craft and in reading an article found reference to an older article which I found on their website.

Engine and Transmission Swap Gen III - Car Craft Magazine

Now that I know what I need to install the transmission, I am still not sure what I want to do.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

I wasn't sure if the S-10 had a 700R4 or a 200R4. I looked it up, and it has a 700R4. A 4L60E would be a good choice then for compatibility with everything on the truck. The only catch is the truck has a cable driven speedo.

Electronic to Mechanical Speedometer Box

That would be one option, but frankly I think that is pretty stupid money for what it is. After all, the truck has round gauges already and I can get a cheap electronic speedo for $120 or so. I would then need to mount it recessed in the dash or something so it doesn't stand out.

Quick Reply: 84 S-10 5.3L Sleeper "Vanilla"