PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

84 S-10 5.3L Sleeper "Vanilla"

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 07:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That s10 does look clean. Just switch all the gauges with autometer have seen a couple s10's like that.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Laid Back

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cttandy
Ok, I found an old Car Craft and in reading an article found reference to an older article which I found on their website.

Engine and Transmission Swap Gen III - Car Craft Magazine

Now that I know what I need to install the transmission, I am still not sure what I want to do.
That article just about covers it. If your 5.3 already has a flexplate, use this: PRW1800346-LS Engine to Old Style GM Trans Crank Spacer.

If you don't have a flexplate, buy this kit: PACE Performance - PAC-1399 - Old Style A/T Transmissions Flexplate Package.

TH350/400 would be nice because of cheaper converters and cheaper to rebuild if you kill one.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Beatdown Z
That article just about covers it. If your 5.3 already has a flexplate, use this: PRW1800346-LS Engine to Old Style GM Trans Crank Spacer.

If you don't have a flexplate, buy this kit: PACE Performance - PAC-1399 - Old Style A/T Transmissions Flexplate Package.

TH350/400 would be nice because of cheaper converters and cheaper to rebuild if you kill one.
That is the best pricing I have seen yet. Another advantage of a TH350 would be the cable driven speedo. I actually have a TH350, it would just need to be rebuilt before I installed it.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

My brother sent me some pictures this morning. Looks like he found me a perfect tool box to use.

That should fit a battery nicely in the bed. Should be a hoot to watch people try to steal it as well. I can just imagine seeing someone grabbing it and trying to jerk it out of the bed.

I rode out to my friends salvage yard today to look for some parts for the blazer we are selling. I found a factory console for my neighbor to model from. I also found a set of bucket seats, and found a full set of dog dish wheels. He is going to get them off for me.

We got a little side tracked pulling my wife's anniversary present. Finally found all the factory stuff to put a cd-changer in her Towncar. All the mounting brackets, the wires, interior cover panels, new head unit, all of it. I even put it all in for her this afternoon to find out the cd-changer itself is bad. The cd-changer isn't difficult to locate, so not worried about that.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Jared @ CPW can do anything to harness.... Money well spent along with service and support... The harness will be plug and play all the way... His mounts and everything are top notch also along with his cooling system...
Old 08-08-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Petraszewsky
Jared @ CPW can do anything to harness.... Money well spent along with service and support... The harness will be plug and play all the way... His mounts and everything are top notch also along with his cooling system...
I am going to put my own cooling system together. I can do it much cheaper then his setup. Not to say his isn't really good, I just have access to stuff WAY cheaper.

Given that my truck is an 84, he can't make me a plug and play harness. He can only make me a stand alone harness. Given that the truck only has about 10 wires under the hood, is shouldn't be a big deal to get everything worked out.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Put a little something on my truck tonight, LOL.

Pardon all the leaves on it.

I called my buddy to get all my stuff pulled that I found yesterday. I am hoping to get it all picked up tomorrow night.

I still haven't gotten the old TBI 350 I have sold. It is raining, and with the engine under the carport I can't get anything done on the truck. The lack of progress is driving me nuts.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

Picked up some spaghetti

some random pieces

a box of gears

and a block of iron

all the pieces came from the same 99 model truck, despite all being dismantled.

On a side note, Dad's little truck wasn't real happy about tuggin that much weight. Going to have to figure out what is wrong with it.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Finally got around to removing the goofy poor fitting vent visors off the truck this afternoon.

I pulled the front seat out, and cleaned up the interior.

Then we started looking at how we wanted to build the console. We noticed that if we built the console to the shape of the dash, we could sneak wiring into the console from the ash tray. So we popped the ash tray out of the dash and looked at what we had. We are starting to rough in the basic shape. Not real clear on how it is going to look when we get done. We are shooting for something that looks like an old man would have built it in his garage in the 80's. It will have a padded arm rest and the super secret hidden gauge panel. Planning on a 5 inch tach, and the data port for the ECM to be mounted inside the hidden panel. If finances allow, I will get an aero force gauge to put in there as well.

Closed

Open, where the gauges will be mounted
Old 08-15-2011, 09:23 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

damn, that's a clean little pickup! it should be a fun project!

Quick Reply: 84 S-10 5.3L Sleeper "Vanilla"