PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

84 S-10 5.3L Sleeper "Vanilla"

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
damn, that's a clean little pickup! it should be a fun project!
Thanks, but the interior is typical 84. Everything is faded BAD. SO I will be investing in some interior dye and going through pretty much everything that wasn't below or behind the front seat. Not to mention the dash is cracked pretty bad. I am going to get one of those glue on dash caps and call it a day. I want it to look nice but not new. I was thinking of replacing the carpet because of the wear spot beside the gas pedal, but now I think I am going to tape that spot off and dye the rest of the carpet to add to the effect.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:09 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

i would just leave it all for that 84 effect lol. pressure wash all of the carpet and call it a day lol. maybe kick in one of the front fenders. haha J/K
Old 08-15-2011, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
i would just leave it all for that 84 effect lol. pressure wash all of the carpet and call it a day lol. maybe kick in one of the front fenders. haha J/K
I have thought about that. I would at very least want everything to appear clean, and those kick panel's aren't going to cut it. I might just give everything a good scrub and see how it looks from there. If is looks OK, I might just fly with it.

We are going to stain the console, then give it some "worn" spot to make it appear to have been in the truck since the 80's. My neighbor is helping me with the console, and he has some neat ideas. I am hoping he has planned out a way to trim out the door so it appears to just be a top panel and not a hidden door. He won't be able to work on it anymore until next weekend, so I might play with it a bit. I am thinking about taking a clip board apart, and attaching the clip on the lid. Not only would it give me a handle to slide the lid back and forth from over my gauges, but it would look like something a handy man made for convenience on his service truck.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:08 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

what all do you plan on putting in this console? honestly, you dont need a single guage on these engines. as long as your Speedo and fuel level in the dash work fine i would leave the console thing alone.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

Tach and aeroforce guage. I also want to mount the data port for the ecm in there as well.

I know I don't "need" any gauges, but the stealth gauges will add to the "cool" factor. Besides, more data never hurts. Also, the factory consoles don't have any fashion of an arm rest, and this will change that. Not to mention, cup holders would be fantastic.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

I am also thinking about adding a little nitrous to this thing, depending once again on finances when I get closer to having it done. Would be nice to hide all that stuff in the console as well.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

No progress on the truck. my buddy says he will drop off my seats and wheels tomorrow night.

I decided to go ahead and get the carport cleared out and ready to start tearing the s-10 apart.

If I move my little tractor and the old seat out, I have plenty of room to work.

I wore my helper out, she needed a break afterwards.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Brought home my bucket seats and wheels. The seats will need some attention, but the foam is pretty good on them.

They are just sitting in the truck. We can't bolt them in until we finish the console. I found some tan saddle blanket seat covers. That should look era correct to the rest of the build.

Got my wheels on the truck as well.

I am thinking about some 15x8 rears, the current wheels are 14x6.

Last edited by cttandy; 08-16-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:56 AM
TECH Addict

While I was working on another s-10 a few months back, I went out to look at a s-10 for parts. I quoted a price, and they felt it was too low. I finished up my project, and now they called me Tuesday wanting my to come buy it. I figure I can still make some money on it, and I can get some parts from it.

The truck was rumored to have had a full frame off restoration 60,000 miles ago. I don't think it had a frame off, but it was definitely restore pretty thoroughly. I have gotten a bunch weather stripping and other things off the truck. It has a rebuilt 4.3L and rebuilt 700r4 in it that I am reselling. I will also end up with a lot of extra parts.

I also nabbed some really nice replacement speakers, sliding back glass, perfect steering column, extra rear axle, spare dash controls for my Dad, keys/locks, painted door handles, black mirrors, fuel injected fuel tank, and a spare alternator, compressor, and power steering pump for the suburban. And I am still making a profit on the thing.

I was so tired at the end of the night that I stretched a tarp over everything and called it quits. One of the hardest engine pulls I have done. The truck was mangled really bad.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:01 AM
Launching!

i love the interiors of '80s cars and trucks. i almost wish you'd have left it alone.

Quick Reply: 84 S-10 5.3L Sleeper "Vanilla"