PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

84 S-10 5.3L Sleeper "Vanilla"

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We found out that the landlord quit paying the mortgage on our house. This has temporarily been set aside so we can focus on the housing situation. We have found another house, but it wont be available for 60 days. Looks like for the time being, I am going to stick the truck and all it's parts in storage. Once we get in the new house, the surgery can begin.

I really hate it, but that is the way things have to be right now.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch. I believe i remember reading that in one of your other threads.. gotta suck, but hope you get everything figured out so u can get the build back up again!! GL with everything
Old 09-05-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

You probably read about it in the thread where I was trying to find the dog a new home.

Yeah, it definitely does suck. It is hard for us to find a home. My Dad is handicap, so he and Mom live with my wife, kids and I. It takes a pretty good size house with a lot of bedrooms to hold us all.

I figure it will be better to wait, then to try to move a half dismantled truck.

Thanks for the well wishes. Maybe once we are in the new house, I can get rolling on the project. Working in a garage should make things that much better.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Wow, thought I had updated this more recently.

Good news though,

The first of this year a friend "gave" me some money to help me out with a tight spot in our family business. He told me to pay him back whenever I could. The original plan, was to build this truck and then sell it. Then take the money, pay him off and have some money to start another truck.

The more I started getting my ducks in a row, the more in depth I wanted to go with this truck, but I was having to be mindful of a budget that was limiting me. It was really being a conflict for me.

The good news is, I have nearly all the money to pay my friend back due into our business in the next week or two. This means I should be able to keep the s-10 now and do everything I wanted to do to it to begin with. Basically, a full frame off. Since the truck is so super clean, it will definitely be worth it to go just a few steps further and do everything the first then then have to come back through it down the road.

For the record, my friend has been on board with every decision I have made related to vehicles this summer. In fact, we have done some trading back and forth over several things. He doesn't really care what I do, or how I spend my money, but bouncing my ideas off him just makes me triple think everything I do. It has been nice to have someone crunch the numbers with me and see whether I am making a smart move or not. We made one bad move, but in the end, he got something he really wanted out of the deal so he was happy.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

I have moved into a new house. I even have a garage to work in now.

I am going to pick up a 98 S-10 from a friend to steal it's frame. The 84 has a pretty weak frame, so the newer frame should help solve that.

I am working with one of my customers (a tool and die shop). They are trying to come up with some aluminum body mounts for me. Probably not really needed, but it will help stiffen up the chassis some more.

I have also found a 99 S-10 blazer 2 dr that my buddy has. I will be stealing the rear half of the frame along with the gas tank assembly. Trying to move some of that weight towards the back.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Laid Back

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The '98 frame will work under the '84?
Old 12-07-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Beatdown Z
The '98 frame will work under the '84?

Yeah, the front frame horns are different. So you have to cut off the ones on the 98 frame, and bolt on some a older frame horns. The bolt on frame horns are about $15 each, so not a major major expense.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

I am working with one of my customers (a tool and die shop). They are trying to come up with some aluminum body mounts for me. Probably not really needed, but it will help stiffen up the chassis some more.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cttandy
Wow, thought I had updated this more recently.

Good news though,

The first of this year a friend "gave" me some money to help me out with a tight spot in our family business. He told me to pay him back whenever I could. The original plan, was to build this truck and then sell it. Then take the money, pay him off and have some money to start another truck.

The more I started getting my ducks in a row, the more in depth I wanted to go with this truck, but I was having to be mindful of a budget that was limiting me. It was really being a conflict for me.

The good news is, I have nearly all the money to pay my friend back due into our business in the next week or two. This means I should be able to keep the s-10 now and do everything I wanted to do to it to begin with. Basically, a full frame off. Since the truck is so super clean, it will definitely be worth it to go just a few steps further and do everything the first then then have to come back through it down the road.

For the record, my friend has been on board with every decision I have made related to vehicles this summer. In fact, we have done some trading back and forth over several things. He doesn't really care what I do, or how I spend my money, but bouncing my ideas off him just makes me triple think everything I do. It has been nice to have someone crunch the numbers with me and see whether I am making a smart move or not. We made one bad move, but in the end, he got something he really wanted out of the deal so he was happy.
A good friend! keep him around!! I applaud you dertermination on this sweet project! You have to go through some struggles to rise to the top. Keep up the good work!!!!
Old 12-22-2011, 02:52 AM
TECH Addict

Well the realization hit that there was no way I could keep the s-10 right now. I delivered it to it's new home tonight. Sold within 2 hours of listing it. I am going to miss it, sad days ahead.

Hope this bad economy pics up soon.

Quick Reply: 84 S-10 5.3L Sleeper "Vanilla"